BCD396XT strange audio when connected to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmosier

I just got a BCD396XT. When I connect it to my PC via the supplied cable (or with another cable I had for my "T") I get some strange audio. Loud pops at the beginning and end of transmissions, and sometimes severly distorted audio. I want to use the new scanner for my live feed, but it sounds terrible when it's connected to the PC. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I've tried changing every setting that I can think of. (AGC analog & Dig, Referance gain's, P25 wait times, End code, Status bit, Tone search, Closecall settings, Vol. Offset). Even witht he audio cable disconnected the popping sound is present when the data cable is connected. HELP!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The loud pops have been discussed extensively in the past - it likely has to do with a ground loop issue and our wiki has the solution...

Uniden DMA FAQ Page 2 - The RadioReference Wiki

Now as to the distorted audio - it sounds like the levels are so strong that the PC is being overdriven. An attenuating patch cord might be needed here (are you using a notebook?). An example of one is found here...

6.5-Ft. Attenuating Dubbing Cord with 1/8" Phone Plugs - RadioShack.com

in case that URL doesn't make it - it's wrapping on my laptop - on the RS website, the SKU is 42-2152

I would also be sure to read the live audio wiki completely - especially this article - so that you can avoid (or at least mitigate) level issues when you put your feed up...there's a wealth of info there...

Setting up your Broadcasting Station - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

rmosier

Ka3jiz,

Thank you! That's more information than I could have hoped for. I will try both the attenuating cord, and the loop isolator. Having read the article on how to set up a feed, I may even connect a second scanner now. One for trunked and one conventional. Would you be able to provide some advice on how to better search the forums? I enter a key word or phrase in the box at the top right and click "search". But I've received correction on posting in the forums more than once. Is there a better way to search than I'm using? Thanks again.

Ray

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Wish I could help there, Ray. Searching the forums is something that takes a bit of luck sometimes - using the right word combinations is one thing I've found that helps. One other thing is that there are really 2 search tools; one in the blue toolbar under the title of the thread, the other is in the upper right hand corner of the screen at the top. As an example, in the 2nd tool, put in the word 'popping' and see what you get. The first hit brings you right to the ground loop discussion.

Now try this string : popping site:wiki radioreference.com
and see what you get.

They aren't well documented or explained. I've complained to the Chief about them (the wiki is also partially indexed in that 2nd tool - but notice I said 'partially') but alas, to no avail. It's very bad that the wiki is not fully indexed; you can easily miss searching for articles that have the information you seek, so insofar as the wiki is concerned, the search tool is not reliable.

73 and GL...Mike

Last edited:

rmosier

Never knew I had a second option (search tool near the center of the page). I'll be making use of it from now on. Thank very much for all your help.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.