BCD396XT TG Priorty

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickOlsen8390

Is there a way to give one talk group Priority over another.
For instance.
Its currently listening to TG with someone running a drivers license.
And a Page comes out on the Fire/Rescue Paging TG, Is there a way to make it listen to that TG if it becomes active while something else is?
New to the whole scanner game, Thanks for the help.

tampatracker

Yes, there is. Go to your edit system options menu and enable priority id scan. Then go to your edit group menu, choose which group your target talkgroup is in then go to edit channel and choose the talkgorup, then down to set priority and your done!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Tampatracker means well, but the correct answer is "it depends." If you monitor a Type II system, and the talkgroup you want as priority is also designated priority by the system manager, it works as TT describes (but he is incorrect when he tells you to select priority ID scan, that would only scan the TG's you labeled with priority.)

If you are monitoring a digital system, or the talkgroup you want is not a system priority, then it will not interrupt. If you add a location to your profile, and/or tell us what system you are listening to, that helps the cause.

Last edited:

NickOlsen8390

Well, Using the ARG-XT software, I just selected Priority=On for the TG inside the group inside the system. And it seems to be working. It seems like it has interrupted a few times.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Actually no, it does not interrupt on EDACS systems. Only Motorola.

W2SJW

Database Admin
(but he is incorrect when he tells you to select priority ID scan, that would only scan the TG's you labeled with priority.)

That's not what the pop-up tip on FreeScan says - Assaf quotes that function as allowing the 'priority' talkgroups to actually preempt other non-priority talkgroups on Motorola Type-II systems (not to scan only the priority talkgroups). I have that set up just that way on the NJ State Police system (for the medevac talkgroups), and my county system (for the crime alert & LEO inter-op talkgroup).

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
That's not what the pop-up tip on FreeScan says - Assaf quotes that function as allowing the 'priority' talkgroups to actually preempt other non-priority talkgroups on Motorola Type-II systems (not to scan only the priority talkgroups). I have that set up just that way on the NJ State Police system (for the medevac talkgroups), and my county system (for the crime alert & LEO inter-op talkgroup).

^The above is correct (and Assaf is correct in Freescan).
I have selected talkgroups labeled as priority on the statewide Motorola 3600 Baud system and they preempt other non-priority talkgroups.
Marshall KE4ZNR

rdale

Premium Subscriber
That's not what the pop-up tip on FreeScan says - Assaf quotes that function as allowing the 'priority' talkgroups to actually preempt other non-priority talkgroups on Motorola Type-II systems

I'll be honest - I've not used the feature since I don't have Mot systems in my area. I was simply basing it on
the Uniden user's manual:

EditSysOption < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Choose On to have the scanner check any priority-labeled channels in this system during Priority ID Scan mode. Choose Off if you want the scanner to ignore this system when scanning priority channels.

===

...and then...

Priority Scan mode

At a specified interval, the scanner interrupts its current operation, checks the user-designated conventional priority channels, then resumes the previous operation. You can set the interval for priority scan checks.

If no conventional channels in enabled and unlocked systems are designated as priority, the scanner will display Priority Scan No Channel.

For trunked priority channels, you need to enable priority scanning in the system option menu as well as tagging the channel as priority. Trunked priority only works while scanning that system's control channel or (in the case of Motorola systems) when the scanner is scanning any channel in the system.

I have selected talkgroups labeled as priority on the statewide Motorola 3600 Baud system and they preempt other non-priority talkgroups.

Just so the OP doesn't get too confused - we're off his original topic ;) The feature does not work with EDACS.

So ZNR - to confirm - you are saying that the pre-empting only occurs if you have Priority ID Scan enabled? If it's disabled, then it doesn't preempt?

I'll make some Wiki edits if you two are certain about it.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
So ZNR - to confirm - you are saying that the pre-empting only occurs if you have Priority ID Scan enabled? If it's disabled, then it doesn't preempt?

I'll make some Wiki edits if you two are certain about it.

Yep. And to clear up some confusion:

From your earlier comment rdale:

(but he is incorrect when he tells you to select priority ID scan, that would only scan the TG's you labeled with priority.)

Tampatracker never said it would only scan the Priority Talkgroups anywhere in his initial post.

His initial post:

Yes, there is. Go to your edit system options menu and enable priority id scan. Then go to your edit group menu, choose which group your target talkgroup is in then go to edit channel and choose the talkgorup, then down to set priority and your done!

In fact I don't see the word only anywhere in his post.

He was correct. When you turn on Priority ID scan for a Moto trunked system it does not scan only the Priority IDs like the conventional Priority feature does. It just gives priority access to IDs marked as such. I can have my 396XT/996XT sitting on one TG on the VIPER system (Moto 3600) and if another TG I have marked as a priority ID becomes active the radio will switch to the Priority ID.
Conventional Priority is different in that you have the Priority Plus option which only scans the Priority conventional channels marked as such.
Hope this helps clear up some confusion.
Happy Monitoring to all!
Marshall KE4ZNR

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Tampatracker never said it would only scan the Priority Talkgroups anywhere in his initial post.

Correct - I did because that's what the user's manual says ;)

I can have my 396XT/996XT sitting on one TG on the VIPER system (Moto 3600) and if another TG I have marked as a priority ID becomes active the radio will switch to the Priority ID.

And to double-check, if you do NOT have priority ID scan enabled, it will not do that?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Correct - I did because that's what the user's manual says ;)

Not to nitpick but you did say "he" earlier in the thread referring to Tampatracker:

Look a few posts up. Just sayin' that Tampatracker was right in this case, and you were wrong to say otherwise. Just don't want others getting confused.

And to double-check, if you do NOT have priority ID scan enabled, it will not do that?

Yep. Talkgroup activity reverts back to non-priority status.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
And just to make this point absolutely clear: rdale is a very intelligent guy with an advanced level of radio knowledge. I respect your history in the hobby RDale :)
I just also want to make sure the correct info is out there, and when people (Tampatracker in this case) come across with correct info I don't want that getting lost in the shuffle.
Happy Monitoring to all!
I raise my mug of Fat Tire Ale to everyone. :D
Marshall KE4ZNR

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not to nitpick but you did say "he" earlier in the thread referring to Tampatracker:

And then I put a comma in, because the following part of that sentence was a separate thought. Looking back I can see how it can be mis-read.

In any case - the user manual is wrong, and I'll see what can be done on editing that.

And the moral of the story is that the OP still can't do it since priority interrupt is not an option for EDACS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.