BCD396XT-Trouble With Serial To USB Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

car7858

Hello,
My name is Carl & I reside in Chesterfield, SE Michigan.
I recently purchased a Belkin Serial To USB cable (F5U 409) for my Uniden BCD 396XT scanner.
This cable worked fine on my Asus PC, which had Windows XP on it, but when I try to use it on my desktop (E machines with Windows 7) it dosn't work.
I keep getting messages that say Critical Error about comm ports not configured or the Freescan program dosn't even recognize that the scanner is plugged in.
I also can't seem to find the correct file for Windows 7, 64 bit in the Belkin downlaods pages; The only downloads I have seen go up to Vista, 32 bit.
Sure would appreciate any help/info on this one as I want to change some of my frequencies and add a few more but can't.
Thanks!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If the Belkin uses a PL2303 chipset (you can usually tell from either the driver file name or by looking at the driver details on the PC that does work) then get current drivers from the link at:

USB-1Drivers < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

If it uses the FTDI chipset, there is a link on that page for it, too, but I have no real experience with that chipset.

car7858

If the Belkin uses a PL2303 chipset (you can usually tell from either the driver file name or by looking at the driver details on the PC that does work) then get current drivers from the link at:

USB-1Drivers < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

If it uses the FTDI chipset, there is a link on that page for it, too, but I have no real experience with that chipset.

Thanks for that information, I will check that link

car7858

I tried that download and the scanner still dos;t show as even plugged into the PC.
I will just order the USB 1 Cable direct from Uniden, as I am not quite sure this Belkin one works with Win 7; Even though they have the troubleshooting guide for Win 7 problems, I will just wait a few days & use the correct cable.
Thanks for your help!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Did you establish what chipset the Belkin used? I've used a Belkin (couple of years ago) that used the PL2303 chipset and operated identically to the USB-1.

You might want to go through the troubleshooting tips on the page I pointed you to (if it is a PL2303).

car7858

I tried just as the instructions said, but I keep getting a message that there are no drivers found.
I plugged in the cable, used Device manager to uninstall the errored program, then uninstalled the Prolific PL2303 Driver from my Programs then unplugged the cable.
I then went to the Prolific site, downloaded the zipped file, extracted it, then uploaded it as instrcuted and I see it recognises the cable when plugged in but can't locate any driver.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I tried just as the instructions said, but I keep getting a message that there are no drivers found.
I plugged in the cable, used Device manager to uninstall the errored program, then uninstalled the Prolific PL2303 Driver from my Programs then unplugged the cable.
I then went to the Prolific site, downloaded the zipped file, extracted it, then uploaded it as instrcuted and I see it recognises the cable when plugged in but can't locate any driver.

I too had trouble with serial to USB adapters and my problem was that I was using a USB hub and would only work if plugged directly into usb port. Another problem I ran into is that my serial port was turned off in my bios and I had to enable it to work. I finally bought the USB-1 cable and never looked back. It's well worth the price.

car7858

I agree; I just ordered that cable last night, should have it in less than a week. This Windows 7 has compatibility issues with other programs I use but they seem to be putting out updates & fixes pretty good for them to work right.
I use the Google Chrome browser, which to me is better than IE most of the time.
Once again, thanks for your help & info.

Status
Not open for further replies.