BCD396XT trunking priority says no channel...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumowondertoad

Premium Subscriber
I want to monitor a single talkgroup ID in a Motorola Type II system using the Priority Plus option, so I can quickly switch to monitoring only that single ID.

I have turned on priority for both the site and the particular channel, but when I turn on Priority Plus, it displays Priority Scan No Channel.

Any thoughts? I have read the online manual and it looks I have it set up correctly.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
This is from the complete reference:
Priority ID Scanning
Trunked channels can be assigned priority. When the scanner is monitoring the control channel, channels
you tag as priority are given a higher priority over non-priority channels when they become active.
Preemptive Priority ID Scanning
For Motorola systems that have channel priority active on the system, if you flag a channel as priority and
the system also has that TGID identified as a priority channel, the scanner will preempt any current
transmission if the TGID becomes active.

The way I understand it is priority plus scans priority channels only and only on conventional systems. What I have found is like the complete reference says......If a motorola trunked system is active with several talkgroups talking away, the talkgroup you assign as a priority channel will take precedence over (priority over) the other talkgroups. Lets say a fire talkgroup is active/talking and is not a priority channel and then all the sudden your local police which you have programmed as priority becomes active, the scanner will leave the fire talkgroup and then go to your priority local police talkgroup.

Last edited:

sumowondertoad

Premium Subscriber
I have set the Priority ID scan on the system to on. Then I have selected the particular channel within the talkgroup I want to prioritize and set the priority to on there. I understand now that Priority Plus is not going to work for trunking, but even with just Priority scanning on (no plus), I still get the Priority Scan No Channel error. I have thoroughly read the complete reference and cannot find what I'm doing wrong.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The "global" Priority setting only applies to conventional systems. To assign priority for trunking, set the channel's option to priority and set the trunked system's option to Priority ID On.

sumowondertoad

Premium Subscriber
The light bulb has activated...thank you.

Ah! I get it now! Okay, I have it set up already the way you indicated. I just didn't realize that it was already prioritizing transmissions from the channel I wanted to prioritize. The global priority scanning function, the one accessed at the top level of the menu, is only for conventional channels.

Thanks so much!

Ablice

I have found that it is better to set up your SQKs so that SQK 1 is "Priority System" so if a cruiser or other "event' happens I just disable the others real quick (all my local systems are in the single digit SQKs) and enable SQK 1. If I had a trunked "hot freq" I would simply shuffle my SQKs and make that trunked system SQK 2.

The reason is that every 2 seconds the audio cuts while the scanner quickly checks the other freqs for activity, which disturbs listening. CC DND is very much appreciated, but they didn't make a Priority DND as far as I know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.