BCD396XT Upgrade To New Revision/Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbcue

It seems like Uniden is releasing a bunch of new stuff (BCD436HP, BCD536HP) and the price of the BCD396XT has dropped. I don't really like the Home Patrol stuff, so I will probably not get those.

Anybody else think a replacement is in the works (BCD496XT)? If so, is it worth it to buy the BCD396XT right now at all?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My sense is that Uniden is on a 2-3 new product cycle. So I'm guessing that we are at least two years away from seeing anything new.

The 396XT is a decent scanner if you don't have any P25 Phase II systems in your area or are likely to be implemented in the near future. The 396XT also has difficulty (at least what I've seen) with P25 simulcast systems - the 436 and 536 have made great strides in these however. The 396XT issue primarily is decoding the audio clearly if you happen to be in the footprint of multiple towers.

dtscho

Database Admin
I don't think we're going to see a 496XT. The 436HP is the successor to the 396XT, combining the features of the XT series with the features of the HP series.

Dave

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
While we feel the database capabilities of the BCD436HP and BCD536HP bring great value to the platforms, if you want, you can completely ignore those capabilities and program anything you want from scratch, just as you did with the BCD396XT and BCD996XT. Just turn off "Main Database", program your own Favorites Lists, and use those exclusively.

W6KRU

This might just be a personal issue but the OCD side of me me completely rejects the idea of having 49.8 states worth of data in the main database that is completely useless to me and will never be used. It is like having a new PC that is loaded with all of those preloaded garbage apps. and being unable to remove them. Even If I have the option of not using the superfluous garbage I still want it gone. I am paying for memory that is being used by clutter I don't want and have to work around.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
This might just be a personal issue but the OCD side of me me completely rejects the idea of having 49.8 states worth of data in the main database that is completely useless to me and will never be used. It is like having a new PC that is loaded with all of those preloaded garbage apps. and being unable to remove them. Even If I have the option of not using the superfluous garbage I still want it gone. I am paying for memory that is being used by clutter I don't want and have to work around.

The entire USA and Canadian database only takes up about 40Mb. Hardly a concern on a 4GB card.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

Then the x36/HP models are not for you..

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I suppose you could also just delete the relevant files from the SD card if they offend you.

JoeyC

Thanks Paul. That is good to know. I hate working around unneeded clutter.

Wow. talk about a baseless comment from someone who doesn't even own the scanner. I have yet to work around ANYTHING in the RR database that is included on the card. In fact, I've not even noticed it there. I've used it to pull data quickly into the programming I will need, besides that, its just there. Kind of like the internet. All those pesky webpages that I will never go to. :roll:

al95

I love the SD card having all the database in the card. I sometimes go to other parts of Texas having the GPS and database is great no more opening or closing virtual folders as I'm driving. I still don't own this scanner will be within this year I might even by both the base and portable radio.

Last edited:

kellykeeton

I think this is the most unique complaint I have seen on here about the new scanners.

How do you deal with things like - your mail box and getting junk mail. Or the grocery store? Or having library's - you pay for all of those things and I would bet there is stuff that you don't use in them.

Heck you pay for new scanners by buyin old ones - so your cash helped buy my useless data card!

I'm not insulting you or anything your entitled to your opinion 110% but this is just very unique and surprising response.

You should at least check out how the scanner works before you reject it 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.