Bcd396xt ???? Upman and Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
:confused:
I hear a lot of chatter about some new announcement coming out around the end of September, May be a new scanner radio from Uniden, I really hope the announcement is not that, and the new announcement is about new features that Upman and Uniden Have eluded too for The 396t scanner, I can't see why Uniden can find the time to come out with a new scanner and not have the time to start making new features for the 396t scanner we can download unless there was nothing to this, I really think it's time for Uniden to realease information on what it proposes to do, either take the time to make new features so we can buy them or not. I realy don't think it's nessary to leave anyone who owns a Uniden 396y scanner woundering about this any longer.
Please Uniden deal with this isue in the public and lets move on one way or the other.. !
Steve

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Uniden has said they will release information on September 28th I believe.

I agree would be a shame to see a whole new model..
but i think if it was a whole NEW model it would be something like the 496 or something not 396X.

Maybe they are just exchanging the scanner for a new colour LED.

Whatever they decided that decision is up to UNIDEN, and UNIDEN alone.

If the buyer is unhappy, its up to them sell thier Uniden.

I really think it's time for Uniden to realease information on what it proposes to do, either take the time to make new features so we can buy them or not. I realy don't think it's nessary to leave anyone who owns a Uniden 396y scanner woundering about this any longer.
Please Uniden deal with this isue in the public and lets move on one way or the other.. !
Steve

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Yeah how dare you, Uniden, not tell everyone right now what you're planning to release so GRE can get busy creating more firmware updates to mimic your new features!

:roll: Seriously people, this is bordering on ridiculous. I'm getting ready to start a support group or something so people can stand up and say "Hi I'm so and so, and I'm an impatient Uniden owner" and then the rest of us can go "Hi so and so" and then they can say "It's been 15 minutes since I last whined about the new scanner can someone give me a pacifier and my ma-ma" and so on.

OK maybe that's a bit over the top :lol: but seriously. You want Upman working on this stuff or do you want him posting message after message everytime one of the engineers wipes their nose? Relax!

-AZ

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
:confused:
I hear a lot of chatter about some new announcement coming out around the end of September, May be a new scanner radio from Uniden, I really hope the announcement is not that, and the new announcement is about new features that Upman and Uniden Have eluded too for The 396t scanner, I can't see why Uniden can find the time to come out with a new scanner and not have the time to start making new features for the 396t scanner we can download unless there was nothing to this, I really think it's time for Uniden to realease information on what it proposes to do, either take the time to make new features so we can buy them or not. I realy don't think it's nessary to leave anyone who owns a Uniden 396y scanner woundering about this any longer.
Steve

Well it seems GRE put out 3-4 scanners of their own (not to mention some RS ones) in 2007, and they were still offering updates the whole time...

Why should Uniden do all this when they don't make any money on these updates? Seems like simple business to me. Don't like there customer support post-purchase? Don't buy from them- I don't.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I agree With AZ Scanner, and with others in the fact that i am not at all happy with the way uniden has responded to updating the radio, more so on Organizational issues rather than performance, Mostly the ability to set up Smartzone Omnilink systems more efficiently.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Chill People!

I think it's anxiety!
While I am not going to go on a rant about Uniden, being a loyal customer myself for many many years, I can understand the frustration. It not about Uniden owing anybody anything. It's about spending a lot of cash then seeing the competition treat their customers better. Nobody really thinks they are owed anything. However, one does begin to get a feeling of frustration when the competition, in this case GRE, does what they do for their customers and you dont hear ANYTHING from your products' manufacturer, in this case Uniden. Again, I personaly dont have the "they owe me" mentality, but it is hard not be be upset and/or jealous. You look for Uniden to "step up to the plate" but nothing. Again, they dont HAVE to do anything.However, the fact that they have allowed so much time to go by and nothing is seen/heard while the competition keeps on giving out new stuff is hard to take quietly. We will just have to wait and see. When and if they come out with something, anything, we will judge them then. Until then, we cant beat ourselves to death trying to guess or complain about something we have no control over.
Just my opinion!

Manny

Deeke

WOW, what happens when you buy a RCA TV and while watching it the next week, RCA advertises a newer model?
Or a new computer. It's the disposable electronic age and some don't want to realize it. ANYTHING you buy electronic is out dated 6 mos later, if not sooner.
Some of you still have the red led watch and can't understand why it can't be updated to one that has a stopwatch or gps.
WHAT? My TV can't be upgraded over the internet????????

You bought the product as it was advertised and evidently agreed to pay for it.
Look at how many people just bought a new tv a few years ago before the mandated digital was announced!

How many people that buy a non digital scanner and 6 mos later their whole area goes digital.
I know i'll be bashed for this but i don't care.
ALOT of people on here need to grow up and face reality and quit living in gimmy gimmy land.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
I just don't understand it... if you are so unhappy with the Uniden scanner and their support/updates don't meet your standards, why do you keep it? Why don't you sell your Uniden and go buy the competition's product/support that you claim is so superior?

I either buy or build a new laptop/desktop computer every 2-3 years, I get a new cell phone every 2 years or so, and... I look forward to buying a new scanner every 2-4 years. I know that every few years I will have to spend some money so that I can have the latest and greatest devices with all the newest features. Some may disagree with this but it is simply a fact of life in this day and age.

If you are looking for a computer/cellphone/scanner that can be upgraded endlessly to include EVERY new feature... you are dreaming. It would be technologically impossible to do so, not to mention a horrible business model. I am grateful to be able to receive updates and upgrades via firmware but I also know that there is a limit to what can be added... especially several years after the hardware has been on the market.

While I have been totally happy with both my 396 and 246... I, for one, would love to see all new scanners from Uniden. New hardware is a large part of what keeps me in this hobby and the competition between the manufacturers keeps the innovation flowing, which benefits us all. :D

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yeah how dare you, Uniden, not tell everyone right now what you're planning to release so GRE can get busy creating more firmware updates to mimic your new features!

:roll: Seriously people, this is bordering on ridiculous.

-AZ

It's gone way beyond bordering and well into the ridiculous. We will know what Upman is hinting at on September 29. Speaking for myself and myself alone, I have plenty to do over the next six weeks that I won't expend much time worrying about this.

al95

Upman only tells want he want us to know the rest is a secret. What happen to updates and buy for upgrade that they told us is the last upgrade? I brought this scanner because its features and that it could be update. Upman to tells us what is going on are going to get an update or upgrade, and what features will be add? GRE has come out with two or three updates in this year, while uniden just had one it was not an update it just add a checksum number. So get your busy uniden release new updates or upgrade or tells the true that our radio will no longer be supported like windows xp is telling its customers.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
enough of the whining

Apparently I'm the only one that's happy with my 396 the way it is. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my 396 seems to do a great job listening to the ARMER system here in MN. Notice I said great, and not perfect. Even the radios on the system that cost several thousand dollars are not perfect, so there's no way you can expect a scanner to be.. In fact, I sometimes hear someone on the system ask for a repeat because the transmission was digitized, even though I heard it loud and clear on my 396. Personally, I don't see that any further updates or support are needed, it does what it is supposed to do just the way it is. Anyone that hates their 396/996 that much, feel free to PM me and I will give you my address and you can send the piece of junk to me. Heck, I'll even pay for shipping. :roll:

Last edited:

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
If anyone doesn't like how the companies do there business can feel free to go back to the old style scanners when you only had 10 channels to listen to. And you didn't even have the proper frequency display and only the channel number.

Now if you thought that was rude, I would've told ya to go back to the really old days when they were using crystals for the radios.

Like sheesh....

Don't like it, don't buy it, go to the competition. Personally I like all the different types of radios out there today, they offer quite the punch if ya ask me. I personally have owned both Uniden and RS radios, I like Uniden preferably, but I don't go knocking all the other types out there.

bwilborn

Apparently I'm the only one that's happy with my 396 the way it is.

No way! I think my 396 is great. The fact that Uniden has something new coming has me wondering what they have up their sleeve. I'm looking forward to the news to see what's next. If it's better than the 396 (and/or GRE) then awesome! If not, well, it's not like I don't have a choice.

-- B

Status
Not open for further replies.