BCD396xt & VSP stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flem1663

Premium Subscriber
I have tried and tried again.......I just cannot seem to receive stars, properly. All i want is VSP.....Through freescan what site(s) do I chose? I live in Newport News, does it make a difference on what sites around me? Do I need the mobile repeater sites? I know I chose all the channels on DIV 5, really only ches 1and 2. I read somewhere but do not understand changing some type of modulation in the scanner for the stars. ANY help to guide me in the right direction, again, is appreciated.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I don't have a Uniden digital, but I will try to help. Are you receiving anything at all on STARS?

I would keep it simple and only select the CC's in the Tidewater area only (at least at first). You could even try to enter the CC's manually and make sure the scanner is picking up the data across the channels.

Don't enter the mobile sites, only enter the vhf CC's. Make sure you have both primary and alternate CC's selected to download to your scanner. I am not sure if you can lock out CC's on the Uniden's. If so make sure somehow you don't have any frequencies or talkgroups locked out.

That's about all I can think of w/o knowing much about the Uniden's.

Good luck!!!

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-T459/T459UVIA1 NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

flem1663- It doesn't matter the sites, they ALL traffic on the system in the area. Not knowing how Unidens work either, I agree with Todd. Make sure you have all the control freqs entered. The sites you need for D5 are Hampton, Williamsburg, Waverly, Emporia, Chesapeake, Exmore and (I think) Burgess. After you have that, enter the VSP TG's. I would enter all the VSP TG's for D5, not only CPK 1&2. BTW, CPK1 has traffic for the peninsula and easterrn shore, CPK2 traffic is southside out to Greensville County.

K3EP

FLEM1663 - I have a 396XT and it works great on STARS. But I am not using FreeScan, I use ARC396PRO from Butel. I have almost all of the STARS sites throughout the state programmed in (I travel), and hear them all wherever I am.

My 2 cents:

1. Set up a new clean System, make it P25, set up a new Site, don't worry about naming anything yet, then enter all the HAMPTON frequencies in (the closest site to you) under that site. Don't worry about TG's yet.

2. Once you have all the freqs in, then push the SCAN button and start scanning ... the display should say SEARCH not SCAN since there are no TG's programmed. Don't worry about any other data yet - lets keep the number of variables to a minimum right now.

3. You should hear something fairly quickly. If not, I don't know what else to tell you.

A note on cc's: I know there is a lot of discussion here about whether to enter all the freqs or just the LISTED cc's (since the cc will send the scanner to the correct freq under P25 whether you have them all programmed or not). The reason I do that is while 1 or 2 freqs are generally used as primary and alternate cc's, any of the frequencies can actually be designated as a cc. If the primary cc is down for maintenance, they may use one of the other freqs as an alternate cc (not just the one listed in RR) for reasons unknown to us. I've seen that occur on one of the STARS towers near my home. If you program all of the freqs for that tower under that site, then it doesn't matter what cc they use ... the scanner will find it. And while some say that's unneeded data in memory, I have 50-60 trunked systems in my 396 (I travel throughout the U.S.), and its not even close to max'ing out the memory.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

DrWhoVa

Flemm,

have you entered the base frequencies into the scanner? Talked about this issue with a friend who does our uniden programming and he stated that he had to put the base frequencies in then each tower into the system. However, how he programmed it was to put each division into the corresponding memory bank to keep up with who was who and then one for the entire system. I've never personally programmed stars myself, but it's what he told me.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Here is my two cents with Freescan

1. Import Radio Reference Trunked System
2. Connect using your Login and password
3. Select Virginia (there should only be one system) which is STARS
4. Select "none" under both groups
5. On the left column, just select Hampton
6. On the right column, just select Virginia State Police

Now import and send to your scanner. This should work for you. Let us know if you have any questions. Good luck
F

Status
Not open for further replies.