BCD436 A simple question / Best location settings for farthest reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

Hello all, I'm just requesting a straight up answer to a question that has been bounched around quite frequently, but for which alas, I still do not quite understand fully (Getting older). So here it goes, I'll put it out there. Requesting menu settings to enable scanner to pull in the furthest systems possible.And by the way I have looked at Marks scanners, look for video on the web or from UPman. TY, TT.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean to actually receive - or to load?

If to receive,minimum squelch, attenuation off.

If you mean load it so you can receive it - depends on whether you use a favorite. full DB location enabled , etc.

Main thing you need is better antenna, gain antenna, outside antenna.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Location settings in the database tend to be "restrictive" meaning that the ranges associated with both sites (trunked systems) and departments (trunked and/or conventional) are conservative. Using the values in the database will result in reception.

Given a variety of things influencing signal reception, it is possible that one can "pull in" signals farther away than associated with the established range.

Typically when I'm editing a Favorites List, I'll bump up ranges for sites and departments by doubling the ragne value shown in the database. You may also wish to change the scanner's range value too and see if you hear more.

I receive more "things" by increasing the range value over the default. But I'm also using an outdoor antenna.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

The only other scanner setting beside range is squelch. The more "open" (lower squelch value) will help with distant signals. This might add some scratchiness to analog signals.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Location settings in the database tend to be "restrictive" meaning that the ranges associated with both sites (trunked systems) and departments (trunked and/or conventional) are conservative. Using the values in the database will result in reception.

Given a variety of things influencing signal reception, it is possible that one can "pull in" signals farther away than associated with the established range.

Typically when I'm editing a Favorites List, I'll bump up ranges for sites and departments by doubling the ragne value shown in the database. You may also wish to change the scanner's range value too and see if you hear more.

I receive more "things" by increasing the range value over the default. But I'm also using an outdoor antenna.

The only other scanner setting beside range is squelch. The more "open" (lower squelch value) will help with distant signals. This might add some scratchiness to analog signals.

Just turn location enable OFF and don't worry about the range. I only use range when mobile - and if I edit I cut it down (opposite of you) as many won't give anything but a noisy signal at the extreme end of the range.
Hope this is what you are looking for.

tampatracker

Thanks for all your responses, I am rearranging some location settings on favorites lists, departments and sites all back to default to start with and then tweak it from there for experimental curiosity.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That's the very best way.

You can do a Google search for a system's coverages maps. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you might find these posted on the internet which should give you some idea of a system/site reach. Most likely, if posted, they are parts of a radio system proposal or training materials.

Also, for what it is worth, the RR database sets ranges for departments based on geopolitical boundaries. The chances are pretty good, however, that a scanner can receive comms well beyond the geopolitical boundaries.

tampatracker

That's the very best way.

You can do a Google search for a system's coverages maps. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you might find these posted on the internet which should give you some idea of a system/site reach. Most likely, if posted, they are parts of a radio system proposal or training materials.

Also, for what it is worth, the RR database sets ranges for departments based on geopolitical boundaries. The chances are pretty good, however, that a scanner can receive comms well beyond the geopolitical boundaries.

And what I'm hearing is the way to set up the scanner to go beyond programmed geographical boundaries is to set favorites lists location settings to off to allow the scanner the best chance of receiving to the best of it's ability (keeping in mind antenna, elevation, etc). Would you concur with that? Thanks in advance, TT.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes.

Setting Location Control Off in Favorites Lists ignores any range settings.

Location Control for Favorites Lists has greatest benefits if the scanner is mobile and connected to a GPS device. It may also be helpful if you do any traveling (such as from Tampa to Orlando) and set up Favorites Lists for home and Favorites Lists for the destination. When you arrive, changing the zip code setting in the scanner would result in turning off FLs for one place and turning on FLs for the new place.

tampatracker

that's it in a nutshell. Thank you very much for your very clear and concise helpful information. Regards, John.

Status
Not open for further replies.