BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436 AND KSERN SEATTLE WA

k7ltf

hi

I am trying to setip a trunk system search for the new Seattle , KING County KSERN System. I enter the system name in trunk discovery mode, the radio comes back with no system found. I am using the latest database as of this week, and my firmware is up to date.

Any thoughts
Zach K7LTF

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Seeing how that's a Uniden thing, it should be in the Uniden forum.

Did you follow the steps outlined in the Notes section?

Discovery Mode
Trunking Discovery Mode allows you to monitor a trunked radio Site for channels not currently in the database.
It can automatically record audio and log newly discovered channels for later review and identification.

Conventional Discovery Mode lets you monitor a range of frequencies that are not already known to be in use in your area. This includes frequencies used conventionally as well as in trunked radio systems. It can automatically record audio and log newly discovered channels for later review and identification so that you can more easily identify the users.

Both modes allow you to listen while discovering, have the option to compare hits to the Database, and log all hits or just new hits.
You can create and save several sessions with different settings. You can also download sessions using the 'Discovery Log Viewer' in the Sentinel Software.

Every time you start a session you create a 'Run'. Review Discovery allows you to review the Run results, resume Runs, or restart saved Discovery Sessions.
If you use the Auto Store option, Discovery will create a new Favorites List called Trunking Discovery, or Conventional Discovery.
Each Session will create a new System, and each Run will create a new Department for IDs or frequencies found.

Before using this mode, set your location and location range, and enable the Database or Favorites Lists to use for Discovery.

New Session
Press Menu then scroll to Discovery and press E/yes.
Scroll to Trunking Discovery or Conventional Discovery and press E/yes.
Scroll to New Session and press E/yes.

Trunking Discovery
Input System Name - Press E/yes to display enabled systems and scroll to system. Press E/yes to select.
Notes: To select the trunked system:
1. The trunked system must be enabled in 'Select Lists to Monitor',
2. The system/site QKs must be enabled for scan in 'Set Quick Key Status' (if assigned to one), and
3. The service types for channels in the system must be enabled.
Select Site - Scroll to the Site to use in the system and press E/yes.
Input Session Name
- Enter the Name and press E/yes. See Data Naming.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
hi

I am trying to setip a trunk system search for the new Seattle , KING County KSERN System. I enter the system name in trunk discovery mode, the radio comes back with no system found. I am using the latest database as of this week, and my firmware is up to date.

Any thoughts
Zach K7LTF

KSERN????
(It's PSERN)...

Why not just set up a new favorite and import PSERN to it?
(import via Sentenal so you have all the sites)

Then, do ID Search

hi

Any thoughts
Zach K7LTF
Have you got the ‘KING County KSERN System’ set in 1 of your favourites lists with a site. It has to be in 1 of your favourites lists to setup Discovery for the trunking system.

Make sure the favourites list with ‘KING County KSERN System’ is loaded and active when you start Discovery or it won’t search.

The go to Discovery via your menu.

Click on Trunking Discovery and then click on ‘New Session’.

Then input the Systems name ‘KING County KSERN System’ then the scanner will find the System automatically.

Usually you will only have to type in the first or second letters and your scanner will still find the System. If not type the whole name.

Add the site then press yes.

When you have found the System in Discovery, click on it and set Logging to all so it will Discover all TGID’s.

(When I use Discovery on 1 of my P25II TRS systems and because I have many TGID’s already loaded I set to FIND NEW. So it will only Discover new TGID’s and NOT duplicate TGID I already have loaded. Yes I can do a ID SEARCH while scanning the P25II TRS but because I like to check for new TGID’s when I’m not at home)

I have set Record Duration to 600sec because I use this feature when I’m at work and leave scanner on all day to find new TGID‘s I have not loaded.

I then set Time Out Timer to 10sec for when the the scanner gets hung on a Control Channel or similar.

Set Auto Store to ON, so it stores Discovered Channels.

Once you have done all that go back to Start Discovery.

I think this is all you need. I haven’t set up a Discovery search since I first got my 536. Any problems let me kno.

IMPORTANT:

Make sure the favourites list with ‘KING County KSERN System’ is loaded and active when you start Discovery or it won’t search.

Goodluck.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned by posters above me, trunking discovery is useless if the system doesn't appear in a favorites list & said favorites list needs to be set to monitor, quick key(s) need(s) to be turned on if you set them & at least one talkgroup needs to be programmed in or if no talkgroups are known, ID Search needs to be enabled on said system. I believe I covered all bases

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned by posters above me, trunking discovery is useless if the system doesn't appear in a favorites list & said favorites list needs to be set to monitor, quick key(s) need(s) to be turned on if you set them & at least one talkgroup needs to be programmed in or if no talkgroups are known, ID Search needs to be enabled on said system. I believe I covered all bases

I think you did....

k7ltf, if you are still with us...
PSERN is being closely monitored by a number of people, as they transition off of KCERS (the old 800 analog) to PSERN (P25II).

Pop on over to PSERN live