BCD436 GPS and STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidNVA

After years of listening to the various systems in Northern Virginia, I became increasingly frustrated trying to monitor my local Prince William County's system (as noted in this thread - https://forums.radioreference.com/v...ion-forum/312029-prince-william-county-2.html) and sold off all my scanners 2 years ago.

Thanks to the recent sale prices at Amazon, I went ahead and ordered a BCD436 and I gotta tell you all - it's amazing how much better it's doing for me with PWC's system than that PRO-668 did.. Not sure if I just had a bad scanner, if the Uniden simply handles simulcast distortion better or if the system itself has been improved since I gave up 2 years ago but it's night and day difference and I have zero complaints now.

I'm wondering if the GPS add-on is worth getting and how it would work with the Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS)? If I'm reading correctly, it will automatically switch System scan lists by location but will it also switch from site to site on a large system like STARS?

I currently manage the multi site issues by setting up different Favorites lists and manually toggling them as I travel throughout the state. Would the GPS help with this and/or eliminate this hassle?

Thanks!

Drumbum

I have the entire va state police system in my favorites, I've notice while GPSing through Va it only gets the ones in the circle for that area, when I have it on all of them in my favorites I can hit at least 6 towers while sitting in Lynchburg, if I use GPS and full database it only does the tower in Rustburg, hope this helps

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

DavidNVA

I have the entire va state police system in my favorites, I've notice while GPSing through Va it only gets the ones in the circle for that area, when I have it on all of them in my favorites I can hit at least 6 towers while sitting in Lynchburg, if I use GPS and full database it only does the tower in Rustburg, hope this helps

Sounds like it will work out perfectly! I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Drumbum

It worked well while driving around the state a month ago after I set the global delay for the whole state to 5 Seconds as default there is no delay ,drives me nuts

KI4SXZ

I have my 536 set to GPS Vstars. My only advice, I went through the hassle to cut each one of the site radius to 2/3 its value. This enabled it to stay a little more local for my liking. I occasionally head out from fairfax to FarmVille or Charlottesville and didnt have any problems. I only use favorites lists to handle talkgroups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.