BCD436 hp gps connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric73

If anyone is looking for a cable with the correct connector for the gps input into the scanner, look for “4 pin mitsumi” you can google it, you will get a lot of different listings for them. It took me a long time to figure it out, after looking for 4 pin mini and as someone else called them “hirose” connectors, but I couldn’t find much info or any cables for it. Mitsumi works.

Eric73

I had been looking for info on them for a while, trying to make a gps puck to fit my 436. Not much info on this type of connector. So if it can help anyone out, Im glad to help.

Eric73

At first glance they look like a mini usb... But they are different...
Yes, they look similar from far, but the connectors are completely different. I have attached a picture of the connections on the scanner and one of the 4 pin mini.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 51

Eric73

Exactly RandyKuff, there are both on the bcd436hp, the mini usb for programming and the 4 pin mini for the gps input. Thats why I put a picture of my scanner.
On the 436, you can not use the mini usb to connect the gps.

Eric73

Heres a picture of my cable, I have a usb male connection for 5v power (to power scanner and gps puck), a mini usb for the power input to the scanner, the original 6 pin ps2 connector that came with the gps and a usb female connector for my 4 pin mini to usb converter. I also made a long extension for the gps puck, just in case.

(to power the gps from the mini usb, I just use “serial connection” when the scanner prompts for it after plugging it in.
I used a female USB connector so I could use my adapter, or avoid cutting the mini 4 pin cable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 55

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Exactly RandyKuff, there are both on the bcd436hp, the mini usb for programming and the 4 pin mini for the gps input. Thats why I put a picture of my scanner.
On the 436, you can not use the mini usb to connect the gps.

The mini 4 pin male Mitsumi you refer to in your posts really doesn't look at all like the Hirose connector used for the GPS input on the BCD436HP. Have you actually used one of those on your 436?

Note the keyway on the bottom of the external area of the Hirose connector shell that has to mate with the key in the Hirose socket (the socket is pictured in my post above), it's not present on the Mitsumi connector. The keyway is also missing in the pic that RandyKuff shows in post# 8 above.

Other physical characteristics of the connector appear different as well.

Eric73

You’re right, when I was googling it, the same adapter I have came coming back in the results, I assumed it was the same, you may be right... Moderator, could you delete this thread, I wouldn’t want anyone to buy the wrong cable...

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have one on order, ill update when I get it.
I would advise not trying to insert that connector into the GPS socket on the 436, damage to the scanner could result.
Let us know what you find when you get the cable.

From your first post, it sounded like you already had tried that cable.

Mitsumi works.

Eric73

Yes I did, unfortunately it isn’t the right one. I was very disappointed as the pictures I had seen on google did show many of the right ones. So do not order this cable as it isn’t the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.