BCD436, Unication G5 and PSR800 on Midland P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of observations and questions regarding the Midland P25 system. First, I have an observation of strange behavior with the BCD436. The first time I was in town I hadn’t updated the db so I programmed the Midland P25 system by hand in my favorites list and gave it its own QK. I started up and ran only that – it literally took about 2 minutes to lock onto the control channel (I had only programmed the control channel and alternates), but once it did, it worked fine – until I turned on another system. First I turned on Texas DPS (conventional system) and it seemed to knock the Midland P25 system off line, and it took another couple of minutes before it had a lock on the CC. However, when I turned on another P25 system (PBRIN), I never heard another peep from the Midland P25 system and I never did see any bars for that system while scanning (full bars when it was the only system, after a minute or two). But when I disabled the others, it finally started picking up the Midland P25 system again. By the way, the 436 handled the audio pretty well – both Phase I and II TGIDs. I went back a few weeks later and had programmed the system from the db in a favorites list – same kind of behavior. Has anyone else noticed that kind of behavior from the 436 on that system?

Second, does anyone know the WACN and SysID for this system? It’s not in the db so I programmed the Unication G5 with the wildcards (WACN:FFFFF; SysID:FFF) – it never showed any bars on any CC (had all freqs programmed in) before the “out of range” timeout. Maybe I should not have programmed all freqs in. I’m fairly new to the G5 and have that info for all the other systems. Unfortunately I didn’t take the laptop on that trip, so I could not play with it at all – I definitely will next time out there. If nobody knows the WACN/SysID, does anyone know a better way to program the G5 to find the system (I’m thinking maybe ONLY the one CC)?

Finally, just a report on the PSR800 on that system. No problem at all scanning the system – picked it up as soon as turning it on about halfway between Stanton and Midland, and running other systems at the same time were no problem. BUT, the voice decode was terrible – I had occasional intelligible audio, but it was probably 70% R2D2 sounding garble – that was the same on Phase I and II TGIDs.
Thanks for any help or feedback.

Deadguy

I am having the EXACT same issue with the Lubbock Phase 2 system. I'm sorry I'm not here to give you any answers...

That being said, I would love to know what, if anything, can be done to fix this...

D

darunimal

How long is the Hold Time set 0 or 1 for the midland system on the BCD436HP change that to 2 or higher and squelch at 2, the PSR-800 you may want to change the DSP to 72, and what's the Digital Threshold set to, open it up if it's set to 75-95 maybe 50-95.

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
On the 436 I did play around with hold time and had it all the way up to 4. Had the squelch anywhere from 0-4. Unfortunately didn't make any difference. I did not adjust DSP on the 800 (on default settings) - will try that next time I'm out there. Thanks!

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Second, does anyone know the WACN and SysID for this system? It’s not in the db so I programmed the Unication G5 with the wildcards (WACN:FFFFF; SysID:FFF) – it never showed any bars on any CC (had all freqs programmed in) before the “out of range” timeout. Maybe I should not have programmed all freqs in. I’m fairly new to the G5 and have that info for all the other systems. Unfortunately I didn’t take the laptop on that trip, so I could not play with it at all – I definitely will next time out there. If nobody knows the WACN/SysID, does anyone know a better way to program the G5 to find the system (I’m thinking maybe ONLY the one CC)?

How would the Unication G5 monitor the Midland system?

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
How would the Unication G5 monitor the Midland system?
If you are referring to the fact that it's a Phase II system, it can still monitor talk groups that are Phase I. And several talk groups on that system are Phase I. Similar to the Fort Worth Regional system - it has both Phase I and II talk groups - I use the G5 on it every day to monitor the unencrypted phase I talk groups.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Some of the talkgroups are phase l which is interesting. Could you list the ones that are phase l?

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
The mode column in the RRDB entry for the system gives you that information. If there is a "T" in that column it indicates a TDMA capable (phase II) talk group.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
The mode column in the RRDB entry for the system gives you that information. If there is a "T" in that column it indicates a TDMA capable (phase II) talk group.

All of the modes are D, reason why I was surprised there was a mix phase I and II. I did notice MPD Dispatch I in Phase I for a while, but it is back to Phase II.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

Thanks for any help or feedback.

I would try setting the "RFSS" and "Site ID" to FF (Search) and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.