BCD436HP & Ford Sync-My Ford Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I connected my 436 to my 2013 Ford Explorer's USB. Tried in both serial & mass storage modes, and both times the Sync screen had a message that said " this device is not supported please disconnect".I had hoped I would be able to hear the scanner's audio thru the car speakers but no such luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you want to pipe the audio from your 436 to your My Ford Touch, you might try using the A/V inputs. The following is copied an pasted from my 2013 F150 Owner's manual (the My Ford Touch section):

Your A/V inputs allow you to connect an auxiliary audio/video source (such as a
gaming systems or a personal camcorder) by connecting RCA cords (not included)
to these input jacks. The jacks are yellow, red and white and are located either
behind a small access door on the instrument panel or in your center console.
You can also use the A/V inputs as an auxiliary input jack to play music from your portable music player over your vehicle’s speakers. Plug in your 1/8 inch (3.5 millimeter) RCA adapter into the two left A/V input jacks (red and white).
Press the lower left corner of the touchscreen, and then select A/V In.
To use the auxiliary input jack feature, make sure that your portable
music player is designed for use with headphones and that it is fully
charged. You also need an audio extension cable with stereo male
1/8th-inch (3.5 millimeter) connectors at one end and a RCA jack at the
other.
1. Switch off the engine, radio and portable music player. Set the
parking brake and put the transmission in position P.
2. Attach one end of the audio extension cable to the headphone output
of your player and the other end into the adapter in one of the two
left A/V input jacks (white or red) inside the center console.
3. Press the lower left corner on the touchscreen. Select either a tuned
FM station or a CD (if there is a CD already loaded into the system).
4. Adjust the volume as desired.
5. Turn the portable music player on and adjust the volume to 1⁄2 the
maximum.
6. Press the lower left corner on the touchscreen. Select the A/V In tab.
(You should hear audio from your portable music player although it
may be low.)
7. Adjust the sound on your portable music player until it reaches the
level of the FM station or CD by switching back and forth between
the controls.
In order to playback video from your iPod® or iPhone® (if compatible),
you must have a special combination USB/RCA composite video cable
(which you can buy from Apple®). When the cable is connected to your
iPod® or iPhone®, plug the other end into both the RCA jacks and the
USB port.
Troubleshooting
• Do not connect the audio input jack to a line level output. The jack
only works correctly with devices that have a headphone output with
a volume control.
• Do not set the portable music player’s volume level higher than is
necessary to match the volume of the CD or FM radio as this causes
distortion and reduces sound quality.
• If the music sounds distorted at lower listening levels, turn the
portable music player volume down. If the problem persists, replace or
recharge the batteries in the portable media player.
• Control the portable media player in the same manner when used with
headphones, as the auxiliary input jack does not provide control (such
as Play or Pause) over the attached portable media player.

a417

Tonight I connected my 436 to my 2013 Ford Explorer's USB. Tried in both serial & mass storage modes, and both times the Sync screen had a message that said " this device is not supported please disconnect".I had hoped I would be able to hear the scanner's audio thru the car speakers but no such luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also have that message when i plug several different types of phone in to the USB ports, just to charge (one of them being a highly popular HTC model). It's a huge letdown that the My Ford Touch system is as big a bomb as it actually is, but its outlandish to think it would stream an audio source via USB.

That system is a giant turd.

NUGEN

Audio doesn't usually come from a USB port, most of the time it is meant for a data connection or charging. It isn't your cars fault the scanner doesn't work via USB, they would need to write drivers into the cars computer and I'm sure Ford doesn't necessarily have the demand for it
If you want to stream it a cool way without wires, go to Radioshack and buy a Blue tooth adapter and plug it into the scanner and you can sync that to the Sync system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You're lucky if you can get any kind of phone to connect over USB to your MFT console. It is the singular most disappointing thing about my new truck. I can't connect my Samsung Galaxy S4 to it - and it's not like that's a particularly obscure phone. The wifi in MFT is as close to useless as it's possible to be and still be functional - you can connect it to any wifi network so long as the password is 10 characters or less - so neither of my local networks will connect as I use long passwords - and even then, there's nothing you can do with it. In infrastructure mode, you could make your MFT an access point, and plug a 3G/4G/LTE dongle into one of the USB slots, and then any devices that connected to your vehicle could use "its" internet... but even then, Sync/MFT has no applications that would make use of the net. You would think at the very least you could pull traffic data or CDDB/track info down off the net, but there is literally, and I mean that in the truest definition of the word, literally nothing that Ford Sync/MyFordTouch can do with an internet connection.

Anyway, excuse the rant; back to the scanner. Regardless of all the above, Uniden doesn't pass audio over the USB cable. So connect a simple stereo patch cord between the headphone jack of your 436 and the audio inputs. (I can't remember right now but I think the AV inputs on the vehicle are RCA plugs, so you will probably actually need a 3.5mm stereo to twin RCA cable.) Then select A/V-Input on your MFT screen and you should get the scanner audio.

I'm also willing to bet if you could find one of those little bluetooth transmitters (something like this), you could trick it into pairing as a Bluetooth device with MFT. Then hit your media button, say "Bluetooth Stereo", and see if it'll play the scanner audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.