BCD436HP antenna Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry1810

Premium Subscriber
I've had a scanner since the first day my local Radio Shack got their batch of new PRO-32's. After a bout of cancer in 2009, I drifted away from my radios for a while. My last purchase was the BC796D. Then a few frequencies in my area went to P25 making the 796D my only radio that received digital. None of my handhelds would receive digital.

Yesterday I received the 436HP and have been messing with it. I dug out a hand full of antennas to test for my area that uses VHF/UHF/800 MHz. I tried many of them but they were lackluster like the stock antenna.

I've read where many have spoken highly of the Diamond RH77CA which I had. I did work much better than the stock antenna. However, due to the Diamond's length, it made the radio top heavy. I stuck on a PRYME RD-98 (a 17-inch long thin whip) and it allowed the 436HP to receive a bit better across the board than the RH77CA! Due to the thinness of the RD-98, it doesn't make the radio top heavy at all. Another good point is, I have two RD-98's. I did some internet searches for them and I could only find them as discontinued.

That's it! Now it's time to go back to master some more of the user operations on this handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.