BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Premium Subscriber
I didn't mean not recommend anything. Just wondering about li-ion opinion in general.

I've been using some of the li-ion AA and AAA-sized batteries in some other devices I have, and they've been working great so far. The only issue is they go from functioning to dead with minimal warning as they don't have the usual voltage drop-off like alkaline and nickel-based batteries.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I just got the 436 over the weekend.
Is lithium ion rechargeable recommended?
Does anyone have a link to 6~8 rechargeable batteries and an independent charger for them that they highly recommend?

You can use them to power the scanner, but the built-in charger is not designed for them.

It is designed for NiMH cells. (1.2V - most any capacity/mAH)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
According to the specs, that Wissblue charger mentioned above has a maximum of 2A. Am I correct to assume that the 2A is spread across all four charging slots? If that's the case, when charging 4 batteries, each is only getting .5A. That's not particularly fast. In fact, I think it qualifies as slow.

dbwolfe

Premium Subscriber
I was going to post a similar question but since this thread is so recent I will just explore the solutions offered here. My BCD436HP is several years old. Suddenly, in the past week batteries are draining in under 30 minutes, regardless of battery type or age.
Any thoughts on whether or not a firmware update might help? Thanks all.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
How old are the batteries? How are you charging them?

Batteries should not be charged in the scanner. It is a "timed" charger and charges a specific amount irrespective of the actual power remaining in the batteries. If you use the scanner 5 minutes or 5 hours, the scanner will charge the same amount each time. This is a death sentence for the batteries. A separate "smart" charger is needed. It "reads" the batteries and charges only what is necessary. In some cases, seemingly dead batteries can even be revived.

dbwolfe

Premium Subscriber
No, I have not charged any batteries in the scanner. The rechargeables are Duracell and Amazon, 2400mAh charged in a Duracell charger. The age varies.
Brand new nonrechargables are draining quickly also, suggesting something other than batteries as a cause. Maybe I changed some setting that is causing it.
thanks. If I find a remedy I’ll post it.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Nothing you can set should drain the cells that quickly.

Is there any way you can test the current drain of the scanner?

My first instinct is that a cell has failed, but you say new cells are doing the same.

Are the cells getting hot?

Could it be your charger that has gone bad?

dbwolfe

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know how to test the scanner’s current drain. Since it is draining new nonrechargable batteries quickly, the charger would not be the issue. I guess I could have a bad batch of non rechargeables. I’ll try a different brand. Thanks.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If you believe it is the scanner itself, then it is time for a trip to the repair center.

I still would like to know if the cells are getting hot.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Thanks. No the batteries are not getting hot.

That lack of the symptom suggests the cells are not charged fully, and that is why they are not lasting long.

If they were fully charged and discharged in that short of a period of time, there should be significant heat.

Again, it is pointing to the charger and perhaps ever-expectations of alkaline life.

Status
Not open for further replies.