BCD436HP Battery Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdnFrosty

I've read through the entire manual and cannot find any information on how long to charge the batteries once a Low Battery alert is received. What are Uniden's guidelines? Thanks.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You can adjust the default charge time but the default is 14 hours for the supplied batteries.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
You can adjust the default charge time but the default is 14 hours for the supplied batteries.

DaveIN,

I cannot locate the screen to adjust the battery charge time in Sentinel for my 436.

Can you give me some direction to find that please ?

Thanks !

whsbuss

DaveIN,

I cannot locate the screen to adjust the battery charge time in Sentinel for my 436.

Can you give me some direction to find that please ?

Thanks !

Page 32 in the user manual explains how to change it. Sentinel has noting to do with it.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Page 32 in the user manual explains how to change it. Sentinel has noting to do with it.

Now I know why I couldn't find it in Sentinel. I thought you could change all the settings thru the software package, so I was banging my head on the desk for an of hour looking for the setting.

Thanks for the info.

rsrash

Any Plans on updating the BCD436HP to charge while scanner is on....???

This seems to be a big deal with me, and a major flaw with the scanner. All the other Bearcat scanners charge while on.
Uniden needs to change that. I have spent good money for the 536 and the 436. Charging
while unit is on should be a givin...

I sure hope I posted this right... : )

Thanks,
Randy - BCD436HP - BCD536HP - BCD396T

bigk_54

Rsrash I fully agree! It's frustrating you can't listen and charge especially when the "default" charge time is 14 HOURS! If it was a quick couple hours I would find it somewhat ok, but FOURTEEN HOURS!!!!!!!!

And for people wanting to adjust this time as pratzert did, it is menu>settings>battery options>set charge time

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
This seems to be a big deal with me, and a major flaw with the scanner. All the other Bearcat scanners charge while on.
Uniden needs to change that. I have spent good money for the 536 and the 436. Charging

Thanks,

I am 99% sure it's a circuitry issue so a million firmware updates won't change hardware. I could be wrong, and maybe it can, but I believe I remember this from previous discussions. Seems I also remember some discussions on this back right before or after the scanners were released and it was posted by some that the reason is to protect the scanner. So you argue that you paid big bucks for it and it should charge while on but their argument was you paid big bucks for a scanner, they appreciate Uniden protecting it.

Of course there are those who argue that batteries should NEVER be charged in a scanner and only in external chargers, to prevent damage to the scanner should something fail. Stories online of scanners burning up and being found in melted messes because the batteries/charging failed and ruined the scanner. I charge mine in external chargers now for this reason. But yes, there is an argument that exists that says "well Uniden designed them to charge the batteries so why can't we???" and that's a valid point. I just err on the side of caution to make sure the charging doesn't mess up the expensive scanners I own.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Thanks,
The issue about not being to charge while the scanner is also on was addressed here in regards to another scanner, the 346XTC. Also note this post in the same thread. There is also a link to the California regulations that pushed this change. The same issue would apply to the 436HP.

While I understand your frustration, given current regulations, I doubt we'll see a change in the current setup.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The issue about not being to charge while the scanner is also on was addressed here in regards to another scanner, the 346XTC. Also note this post in the same thread. There is also a link to the California regulations that pushed this change. The same issue would apply to the 436HP.

While I understand your frustration, given current regulations, I doubt we'll see a change in the current setup.

Now that you mention the California issue, I remember now that Paul himself posted that they had to comply with restrictions that California has in place. Go figure...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Now that you mention the California issue, I remember now that Paul himself posted that they had to comply with restrictions that California has in place. Go figure...
Right. I think that was somewhere in the initial threads on the new scanners, but I did not have it bookmarked. I did have the other one, on the 346XTC, for reference to the underlying issue.

The cost of trying to produce two different models, one "California only", the other, "rest of US", and trying to keep the 'rest of' models from leaking into the Golden State would be outlandish. The automakers started that juggling act years ago when they sold some cars as having "California emissions controls" versus those without it.

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
That this supply batteries exploded I don't know what happened didn't explode in my Scanner they exploded when I was charging them outside my scanner

rsrash

Well I guess protecting the radio is a really strong argument, for not relying on the radio as a single
point of charging the batteries. I have owned scanners for over 30 years and always charged them
in the units, with no issues at all. Maybe luck? Keeping an eye on the scanner very closely?
I can see why now, I guess. : )
I do know that the USB port normally has a low and very limited output. Charging the batteries plus
powering the radio at the same time may cause damage to other things, not just the radio.

Thanks for the insight....

Randy - BCD536HP - BCD436HP - BCD396T

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
I am very angry

I am very angry with the battery exploded
I didn't even do anything to it I just exploded

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,334

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Well I guess protecting the radio is a really strong argument, for not relying on the radio as a single
point of charging the batteries. I have owned scanners for over 30 years and always charged them
in the units, with no issues at all. Maybe luck? Keeping an eye on the scanner very closely?
I can see why now, I guess. : )
I do know that the USB port normally has a low and very limited output. Charging the batteries plus
powering the radio at the same time may cause damage to other things, not just the radio.

Thanks for the insight....

Randy - BCD536HP - BCD436HP - BCD396T

Right, and I don't think it was a widespread problem (i.e. it's not like 50% were blowing up or melting or whatever) but it was enough for changes to be made and/or regulations to be put in place, at least by one state so far.

I've read some posts about getting a separate plug (meaning AC adapter) to plug into the wall to charge the batteries instead of just using the computer USB port, which might be an option for you as well. As stated, you can adjust the charge time if the default 14 hours is too long...or get an external charger with another set of batteries and always have a charged set ready to go. Personally this would be the safest method (that is my opinion, of course) but the option to charge in the scanner does exist for convenience sake.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.