BCD436HP Battery Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I am 99% sure it's a circuitry issue so a million firmware updates won't change hardware. I could be wrong, and maybe it can, but I believe I remember this from previous discussions. Seems I also remember some discussions on this back right before or after the scanners were released and it was posted by some that the reason is to protect the scanner. So you argue that you paid big bucks for it and it should charge while on but their argument was you paid big bucks for a scanner, they appreciate Uniden protecting it.

Of course there are those who argue that batteries should NEVER be charged in a scanner and only in external chargers, to prevent damage to the scanner should something fail. Stories online of scanners burning up and being found in melted messes because the batteries/charging failed and ruined the scanner. I charge mine in external chargers now for this reason. But yes, there is an argument that exists that says "well Uniden designed them to charge the batteries so why can't we???" and that's a valid point. I just err on the side of caution to make sure the charging doesn't mess up the expensive scanners I own.

Being in IT I see all kinds of technologies. Millions of people use a smartphone everyday and also plug it in while charging.. It seems like a huge fail to me that these things cost just as much a gps unit isn't built in and neither is the wifi dongle?

Being able to charge and talk on phones has been out forever why is this an issue for uniden?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Being in IT I see all kinds of technologies. Millions of people use a smartphone everyday and also plug it in while charging.. It seems like a huge fail to me that these things cost just as much a gps unit isn't built in and neither is the wifi dongle?

Being able to charge and talk on phones has been out forever why is this an issue for uniden?

This has been answered in this thread. It isn't a problem for Uniden, they were complying with CA regs. Debating those regs here is pointless, they are what they are.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
This has been answered in this thread. It isn't a problem for Uniden, they were complying with CA regs. Debating those regs here is pointless, they are what they are.

Gotcha my bad I should have read the entire thread. It's not that I hate the radios I have both the 436 and 536. My biggest complaint I think the clock issue bothers me the most but I'll deal.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Gotcha my bad I should have read the entire thread. It's not that I hate the radios I have both the 436 and 536. My biggest complaint I think the clock issue bothers me the most but I'll deal.

Yeah. And I didn't mean for that to sound as "short" as it may have, I was mobile at the time and typed it hurriedly. I mainly just wanted to point out it wasn't that Uniden didn't want to have the capability but rather that they couldn't, due to the regs. Good ol' CA. (No disrespect to anyone from CA, just saying...)

JamesO

The charging issue may partially be due to the screwy CA, law/regulation for scanners and rechargeable batteries, but the other part may be due to the 500 mA limit on a "STANDARD" USB port??

500 mA may be not enough to power the radio and properly charge the batteries at the same time?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The charging issue discussed here is due to the 500 mA current availability for the USB spec. Not CA regulation.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The charging issue discussed here is due to the 500 mA current availability for the USB spec. Not CA regulation.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul. What was the CA regulation issue? I know I remember it being discussed somewhere as having an affect on the scanners...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Easiest to point through Google: Use search terms "California energy commission small appliance battery chargers"

JamesO

I recall some issue where portable scanners and emergency radios were required to run on standard alkaline batteries. This was an issue with some Uniden hand held scanners that had plug in rechargeable battery packs. The problems was is the rechargeable batteries died, you could not put alkaline batteries in the scanner so it was basically a paper weight during an extended power outage.

Might be more to it than this, however, I recall something along these lines.

drbock

I have owned handheld RS and Uniden for 30 yrs. They all managed to charge internally. RS used to have 2 jacks. One if you used nicads, in which case you could use and charge at same time and one for use with alkalines. For that matter HomePatrol 2 allows listening and charging as long QS you use a 1 amp charger. UNIDEN IS NUTS

drbock

If it was the State of Clfornia, wht does HP2 recharge and listen at same time???

drbock

Uniden owes every BCD 436hp owner a free retrofit. If Uniden can design the HP2 to charge while listening, they can do the same with the handheld. The fact you have to estimate recharge time is a joke. Pulling batteries out every time is a joke,especially in view of shoddy quality of contacts.

drbock

With HP, the scanner detects 500 ma for just charging. If you have a 1 amp USB charger, both listening and charging occur. Uniden owes us an upgrad repair

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
See post 28 in this thread. Paul explains it in one sentence.

No, Uniden doesn't owe anyone anything due to this regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.