BCD436HP Battery Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramagod

I'm wondering what the battery life is with a full charge, Has anyone tested this yet, from full charge to dead radio? Thanks.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I have not yet, but one of the great things about this radio is that you can run it off of USB. I run it all day every day and have yet to run it dead because I keep it on USB when I'm near my computer at home or at work (which is most of the time LOL). It also charges while I sleep. I initially was not planning on charging the batteries in the radio, but it's just too convenient for me not to use the internal charger.

-AZ

NYPDAUX

I have my set for 8 hours the turn it on couple hours before bed ready to go when I get up

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

NYPDAUX

I have not yet, but one of the great things about this radio is that you can run it off of USB. I run it all day every day and have yet to run it dead because I keep it on USB when I'm near my computer at home or at work (which is most of the time LOL). It also charges while I sleep. I initially was not planning on charging the batteries in the radio, but it's just too convenient for me not to use the internal charger.

-AZ

Are you trying to tell me that you're listening to the scanner while it is connected to the USB of your computer and getting power from the computer to listen to it and then when you're not listening you leave it connected turn it off so we can continue try again is that right and which radio are you using the 536 or 436.

Last edited:

NYPDAUX

Okay I know you could plug in the 436 to your computer to do can arrange favorites firmware updates but you're telling me that you leave it connected and you're able to turn your radio on and listen to whatever County you are in tell me exactly how you do that because I know if I plug it in it says charge yes or no if I say no then it asked me mass storage device for serial port so what do you do to listen to scanner

Last edited:

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I get about 10 hours out of my 436 with the backlight constantly on low. Tested the first few days I had it. That was with record turned on. I normally run it by battery at home and on the road, and by USB while at my desk while at work. Batteries charge about 8 hours at night.

The 436 can be powered by USB without batteries installed too. To listen while plugged in, leave radio on, select serial port. You'll be all set.

Tramagod

What prompted this question was the fact I got my 436 just yesterday. I let it charge all night last night and part of this morning. I took it to work with me tonight, and within two 1/2 hours of it running I started getting the low battery warning. I have not changed any of the settings on the radio., so I guess I need to check all that now.thanks very much for all the input.

XTS3000

What prompted this question was the fact I got my 436 just yesterday. I let it charge all night last night and part of this morning. I took it to work with me tonight, and within two 1/2 hours of it running I started getting the low battery warning. I have not changed any of the settings on the radio., so I guess I need to check all that now.thanks very much for all the input.

Almost sounds like the batteries didn't charge and that's why you got such limited scan time. Most people are getting 8-10 hours of scan time on their 436's.

CommLt

Feed Provider
Are you charging from your computer and are your USB connections set to go to sleep? I have had this problem with other devices where the output power will hibernate.

KSDeputy

Charging BCD436HP

I do not understand why charging is on a timer instead of charging it until it is full charge, then go to trickle charge? I have had mine over a week, having computer problems so I have set it up yet. I did charge it for about 13 hours, it said normal charging all that time. I think it should have the battery condition icon on the screen any time the radio is on, also.

Last edited:

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Out of the box, the batteries lasted less than 4 hours. After discharging with a La Crosse charger, I seem to get around 7 hours with battery save on, little use of the low light and replay set to 90 seconds. Energizer 2300's seem to last around 9 hours of the same use. The Energizer's have been completely discharged probably more than 50 times.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
"Fully charged" is not a well-defined term.
If you push down on the knob, the actual voltage is displayed in the upper right.
"Fully charged" for the 436 batteries might be about 4.2 volts or maybe more.

Status
Not open for further replies.