BCD436HP battery status and GPS status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

I've looked all over for battery charge status on this unit. I can't find it.

Other than the GPS icon at the bottom right of the screen there is no indication of whether or not the GPS is receiving a signal. How about a blinking GPS if no satellites received and a solid GPS if there is a good signal?

Maybe a firmware update in the future could address this?

ka1njl

Battery level

I ran into this information over the weekend while I was browsing the manual. On page 28 it states that you can view the battery level, in volts, by pressing the scroll control to display the level in the upper right of the display. While I realize that that is not really the "level" in terms of charge status, it can be informative and I hope you find it helpful.

Hit_Factor

Thanks, I'm not sure I'm smart enough to translate volts to whatever units of remaining charge I had in mind when I started this thread. ;)

My scanner says 4.35 volts on usb, and 4.27 on battery. Looks like I have some studying to do.

yaesumofo

When it comes to charging batteries and being able to tell how much energy they have in them...
primary cells (duracell you buy in the store not rechargable) are 1.5 volts. Fresh cells are a little higher.
3x1.5 will give you 4.5 volts, so if you voltage drops to (you can set the voltage that the radio will warn you at) you will hear an alarm, time to switch batteries.

The radio will not charge and play at the same time.
There is no outward indication except the message on the screen. I have not seen any other charge indicator. It looks to be a basic timed charger. (too bad).

for knowledge on how NIMH cells charge and stuff look here

How to charge Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries.

On the 536 scanner under settings, under battery options, you can turn off or turn on the battery saver, battery voltage alarm, charge timer setting... the default battery warning happens at 3.3 volts.
I turn off the battery saver out of habit. I have no baseline to compare but my radio does not seem to burn through the batteries that quick... More testing required.

One thing to note, there are better rechargeables available. the included 2300mah AA's are a cheap brand.
if you get a 2600 mAh or 2700 mAh MAHA (brand) or SANYO (brand) cell you will be buying a better battery with a higher capacity than the stock included cells.

Yaesumofo

Yaesumofo

kwd57

Isn't the static voltage on rechargeable batteries like these 1.2v to 1.25v and not 1.5v like the non rechargeable types?
If so, maybe the voltage warning should be set lower by .9v to .75v if using the rechargeable types.
Someone should compare the voltage on the screen between the stock batteries and a fresh set of non rechargeable types and post results.

yaesumofo

Isn't the static voltage on rechargeable batteries like these 1.2v to 1.25v and not 1.5v like the non rechargeable types?
If so, maybe the voltage warning should be set lower by .9v to .75v if using the rechargeable types.
Someone should compare the voltage on the screen between the stock batteries and a fresh set of non rechargeable types and post results.

Yes the voltage on a rechargeable (nimh) is 1.2 volts.
Yaesumofo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

del1964

Premium Subscriber
GPS options

I also would like to see a GPS signal received icon or something. A menu area like the Home Patrol had where you can see if satellites are being received Would also like to have the BCD396XT option of viewing the GPS data full time as far as Lat and Long and speed/elevation in real time as you're driving down the road. Just not enough GPS options IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.