BCD436HP/BCD536HP Firmware Upgrade Wish List

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedRHayes

I'm sure Uniden would have loved to do that, but I think that might infringe on GRE's patents for their V-Folders which were essentially the same thing back in the old days of the PRO-96. I could be wrong - I'm not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. ;)

You could accomplish this with mulitple SD cards. Set up one for normal listening and one for special events, POTUS visits, whatever. Then you can just swap out the cards when needed.
-AZ

By the time I changed the MicroSD card (after dropping the batteries and the card at least once or twice) I'd have forgotten why I wanted to change profiles (at least in the 436).

I'm not sure it couldn't be implemented without infringing on the V-Folders patents. The x36hp appears to use a single XML file containing the profile data. If separate files were created for each user defined profile and a mechanism was provided to change the file read at startup (maybe an adaptation of the existing Startup-Key functionality), that would do the trick; and I think it would be enough different from the virtual folders concept as to not infringe (though I don't know the details of the patents).

This would limit you to using the same set of FLs and the same Full Database, but would allow a user to create usable profiles.

JoeyC

The Sentinel Software defaults to "Custom 1" for Service Type, this may have even been a lazy programmers place holder carry over. The software MUST have a drop box choice of all the Service Types as well as be populated with any custom Service Types you add. This way there is NO SYNTAX or Typo errors that will paint a user in the corner. You will not miss things you are trying to scan or end up with a message that says Nothing To Scan after a few hours of hard work setting up your Favorites.

There IS a dropdown box for service types when making an entry and it is not possible to hand type in a service type so no syntax and typos are not possible. What are you saying here?

JoeyC

For example VA State STARS system has like 50 transmitter sites. I only want 1 or 2.

I have to individually delete each transmit site one at a time and even confirm each deletion.

So unless there is something I am missing, the software is missing the ability to fully edit higher level folders in the tree, it only allow modifying individual records at the lowest level of the tree/file structure.

All you had to do after importing the 50 sites was go into the FL you created and edit it. Chose the system, go to the Sites tab and multiselect all those you don't want and delete them, all in one click.

JoeyC

I would like to see the scanners and the Sentinel software modified to allow saving multiple profiles onto the scanner, and provide a mechanism for the profile to be changed by the user from the scanner's menu.

Right now, you can save multiple profiles on your computer, but only one can be loaded onto the scanner at a time, and it must be done from the Sentinel software.

I would use this capability to create different profiles for the for my specific setups (e.g., active FLs, Service Type subsets, locations, etc.) to which I'd like to "rapidly" switch based on current activity or unfolding events. Even if it required a reboot/reload of the scanner, that would generally be quicker than going into the menus and making all the setup changes.

This is what Startup Configuration Keys are for. There are 10 of them. Pg 50 of the manual.

TedRHayes

This is what Startup Configuration Keys are for. There are 10 of them. Pg 50 of the manual.

The Startup Configuration Keys only control which FLs are active, it doesn't change any of the other settings stored in the profile (e.g., active Service Types).

JamesO

There IS a dropdown box for service types when making an entry and it is not possible to hand type in a service type so no syntax and typos are not possible. What are you saying here?

Well after screwing around a bit more, figured out what is WRONG with the software.

There are 30 Service Types plus an additional 8 Custom options.

What happens is the software defaults scrolled to the bottom of the ST drop box and it only displays 8 lines, all Custom lines, Custom 1-8. It is not until you scroll back up above the Custom 1 option do you find the OTHER 30 Service Types.

Crappy job in the software IMHO. I also think there should be an "All" wild card that the software defaults to so anyone new to the HP platform does not get painted into the corner.

JamesO

All you had to do after importing the 50 sites was go into the FL you created and edit it. Chose the system, go to the Sites tab and multiselect all those you don't want and delete them, all in one click.

You or at least I CANNOT edit anything on the left side of the screen where I would expect to be able to edit.

I had multiple sites to delete I just now figured out that I had to select the Department name where as I had clicked the + in order to expand the list so I could see the sites. Once expanded I you can only see one Channel info on the right side of the screen.

So my miss/bad on this one, thanks for the semi guidance. When people claim things can be done, I have to keep hacking away.

The problem is with all the online and Excel stuff I deal with, I am conditioned that I can just select the text lines as I choose.

JoeyC

What happens is the software defaults scrolled to the bottom of the ST drop box and it only displays 8 lines, all Custom lines, Custom 1-8. It is not until you scroll back up above the Custom 1 option do you find the OTHER 30 Service Types.

Crappy job in the software IMHO.

While I agree the software could use some revisions to make it more user friendly, I am not seeing that particular oddity. When I click on the Service Type drop down box, no matter what the size of the window, I am getting a list of about 30 open up for me. No scrolling necessary to see that there are much more than the 8 Custom lists that you are claiming to only see. Perhaps you don't have the latest version of the software.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'd like to see an additional step of brightness added. I find the display hard to see in daylight.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I would like 6 months or so to learn what the 436 has in it now and what cool things it can do..now. Then perhaps I might have some suggestions. It's hard for me to make recommendations on a scanner I have had less than 1 month, especially when I have it only about 25% mastered.

IMHO

Greg

JamesO

While I agree the software could use some revisions to make it more user friendly, I am not seeing that particular oddity. When I click on the Service Type drop down box, no matter what the size of the window, I am getting a list of about 30 open up for me. No scrolling necessary to see that there are much more than the 8 Custom lists that you are claiming to only see. Perhaps you don't have the latest version of the software.

Not sure what the latest version is, mine is Version 1.01 revision 07.

You are seeing something VERY different than me. I just received my scanner on Sat, so I download from a link I found here or from here.

What does your Service Type default to? Custom 1 or Aircraft?

I will look around and see if there is a different Sentinel software. Why can't there be a "Update Sentinel" option under update? I do not see an Sentinel software update option within the program.

My Home Patrol Sentinel Version 2.02 Revision 4 is pretty much the same way.

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
Better clipboard import features in Sentinel, so that every time you want to import say 10 frequencies from the clipboard, you don't have to add 10 blank frequencies first, then highlight the blank frequencies, then paste in your frequencies.

A clipboard grabber feature in Sentinel would be great.

A quick key editor in Sentinel would be nice as well.

A setting in the firmware for USB charging on/off/prompt at start up.

A setting in the firmware for USB mass storage on/off/prompt at start up.

Accessibility options to read the menus and current frequency aloud for blind/visually impaired scanner users.

These are just a few suggestions, this is a GREAT scanner. The best Uniden has ever made. The system/department/channel keys are brilliant, makes navigation much easier. Being able to set the favorites lists on and off through the menus is awesome as well.

Last edited:

brennank

I would like to see a GPS status page. I missed this in my last post in this tread. My BCT15x had this even.
As of right now there is no way to easily confirm the GPS is working correctly. I used that screen all the time on my BCT15x. It showed GPS coordinates, elevation, time, and speed. I would really like to see that implemented into the 536.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I would love to see wireless programming in the next firmware update it'll be a lot easier instead plugging in the USB cable to computer then to the scanner each time.

FlashP

Add another vote for CC dump to the PC, otherwise it's not an XT replacement.

Likewise, enable stopping on encrypted calls (even though muted) so they can be logged, and so you hear a reply in the clear.

SCPD

QRT
yes!

I would love to see wireless programming in the next firmware update it'll be a lot easier instead plugging in the USB cable to computer then to the scanner each time.

That and or bluetooth or wireless GPS

Markb

Premium Subscriber
With respect to the recording function. It would be great to have an option to exclude files 1 second or less from being written to the SD card. If I leave the scanner to record for a day, I end up with ~25% of the files being repeater tails or a "10-4". A fair number of these files are 0:00 seconds in length.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.