BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordiebill

Shipping to/from Canada

Are there any Canadians on here that have shipped their scanners back for the repair.. When you got them back, did UPS charge you brokerage fees?

I got charged brokerage fees on a warranty claim once (not Uniden) and I didn't think it fair that I had to pay for this. I refused the shipment and advised the vendor to ship USPS. No problem what so ever getting it back via snail mail.

Would love to hear from fellow Canadians as to what their return experience has been. I can live with the clock problem if it's going to cost me money to get my scanner back.

I realize this is out of Uniden's control, so I don't fault them for it.

Thanks for any input;
Gord - VA3TWT

omrail

Are there any Canadians on here that have shipped their scanners back for the repair.. When you got them back, did UPS charge you brokerage fees?

I got charged brokerage fees on a warranty claim once (not Uniden) and I didn't think it fair that I had to pay for this. I refused the shipment and advised the vendor to ship USPS. No problem what so ever getting it back via snail mail.

Would love to hear from fellow Canadians as to what their return experience has been. I can live with the clock problem if it's going to cost me money to get my scanner back.

I realize this is out of Uniden's control, so I don't fault them for it.

Thanks for any input;
Gord - VA3TWT

When i sent in my 536HP for the headphone warranty work it was shipped back to me with Fedex and there was no brokerage fees from FedEx to me. I was thinking the same thing back then that UPS would charge brokerage fees and was on the form then asking and bring that up. I guess it will be a mouth or so before I can send my unit in so it would be nice to hear from fellow Canadians. Hoping its the same this time

Robert721

Premium Subscriber
Got the 536 back but I continually get "SD card file error use Sentinel "clear user data" operation to initialize SD card." Problem is that didn't work. I write the to the card, nada, tried to update the firmware, nada. So what next. My mistake I forgot to take the card out before shipping.

wise871

Database Admin
Are you trying to write to SD card while its in the scanner? Do you have a external card reader to try? Also make sure you show all when clearing user data

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert721

Premium Subscriber
I have checked several things and the last says the card is not formatted and I cant format the card. looks like the card is toast.

so yes make sure you remove the sd card!

Last edited:

MarkWestin

When all else failed, I was able to format an "unformatable" SD card with my camera. My camera formats it to the "raw" file system, but then my computer could format it and I'm still using it.

Mark

kb8rvp

BCDx36HP: BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

I have checked several things and the last says the card is not formatted and I cant format the card. looks like the card is toast.

so yes make sure you remove the sd card!

You can try this memory card format tool from Panasonic:
SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card Formatting Software | Download | SD Memory Card | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

And another format tool:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Mike

Last edited:

MStep

If you peruse the forums, you will find that there are several programs available that will format SD cards. I've tried quite a few of them--- sometimes when a card is a little "whacked out", one program may work where another might not. Surprisingly, I've usually had luck just using the format tool within Windows to format into FAT32. I then "stress" the card by writing and erasing several files to the card, then reformatting again and also doing a CHKDSK on the card. With a little patience and perseverance, most cards can be brought back to a stable, working state.

Robert721

Premium Subscriber
Tried the format utility in windows and the other and the windows say unable to complete the format and the other says the card is write protected. both show the card which is 4gb as 30.6 mb.tried the card adapter in the sd card slot and a direct insert in my card micro sd slot.

AC2OY

I left my card in and when the scanner was returned I had no problems with the scanner and card.

NR that's what I was thinking. I followed their directions to the letter being "it's their show",I had assumed something else happened to the card. I'm sure after reformatting,he will be off to the races again.

Voyager

I'm glad I took my card out. Why would his card be fried now?

Coincidence. It just happened to fail at that time. For some reason the OEM cards aren't that durable. Yet the exact same cards from the same manufacturer seem to have a much higher durability factor.

I can't help but wonder if they got counterfeit cards from their vendor. I've gotten counterfeit cards from a well known retailer. (and returned them)

garys

Premium Subscriber
A false write protect flag is a sign of card failure. I bought my first 536HP used and the SD card came programmed with information the seller loaded on to it. I used ARC536 and created my own "profile", which I tried to load. No dice because the card was write protected. I ended up using another card I had lying around and it worked fine.

Tried the format utility in windows and the other and the windows say unable to complete the format and the other says the card is write protected. both show the card which is 4gb as 30.6 mb.tried the card adapter in the sd card slot and a direct insert in my card micro sd slot.

AC2OY

Coincidence. It just happened to fail at that time. For some reason the OEM cards aren't that durable. Yet the exact same cards from the same manufacturer seem to have a much higher durability factor.

I can't help but wonder if they got counterfeit cards from their vendor. I've gotten counterfeit cards from a well known retailer. (and returned them)

I agree Voyager I need to pick up some additional cards for backup.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber

I am using the original cards that came with each of my 2 536HPs. I have had no problems with the cards since day 1.

Voyager

I am using the original cards that came with each of my 2 536HPs. I have had no problems with the cards since day 1.

Same here (no issues with the originals) but many people have had the OEM cards fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.