BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Same here (no issues with the originals) but many people have had the OEM cards fail.

No problem with the cards that shipped with my 436 or 536. On the other hand, you've got 400-500 dollar, most feature and function rich monitoring machines ever made, ready to go on any mission at a moment's notice. Why are you sending them into battle with 4 GB, Class 4 SD cards? My philosophy is to let them work their hearts out for me with tried and true 32 GB, Class 10 cards. My auto replay function is always maxed out at 240 seconds, and you could run into 12+++ hours of required recording time, mission dependent, of course. For me, the extra 15 or 20 bucks per unit to max out is a worthwhile investment.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
.... For some reason the OEM cards aren't that durable. Yet the exact same cards from the same manufacturer seem to have a much higher durability factor.

I can't help but wonder if they got counterfeit cards from their vendor. I've gotten counterfeit cards from a well known retailer (and returned them).
That's almost certainly what happened. I've saved the microSD card from my 536, and plan on giving it to a SanDisk representative, to see if it is.

Note that by "counterfeit", I include genuine cards of lower capacity that have been altered to initially appear as having a higher capacity, and are so labeled. This is a common scam technique.

I wonder if buying counterfeit cards cost anyone at Uniden his job.

MStep

That's almost certainly what happened. I've saved the microSD card from my 536, and plan on giving it to a SanDisk representative, to see if it is.

Note that by "counterfeit", I include genuine cards of lower capacity that have been altered to initially appear as having a higher capacity, and are so labeled. This is a common scam technique.

I wonder if buying counterfeit cards cost anyone at Uniden his job.

If not true counterfeits, then it sounds like you are implying a "VDS" (Volkswagen Diesel Scam) syndrome. Like the diesel engines that were programmed to pass emissions tests, maybe you've got some cards that were programmed to pass inspection, but in this case also diverted off the main assembly line, where the good cards are packaged to be sold individually, and onto a second tier line for quantity purchasers who buy in batches of 10,000 or so. Very common in many manufacturing situations, the most notable being, of all things, potato chips !!!

I doubt very much that Sandisk uses that technique, but I'm sure that many companies do use that technique to produce certain runs.

paranoia11

looks great !! The screen is nice and bright.

I have the same external speaker, at least it looks like it.

Last edited:

AC2OY

looks great !! The screen is nice and bright.

I have the same external speaker, at least it looks like it.

Yes I hit the brightest for the picture to show everybody on here that they restored it back to when I first bought it. When I listen or scan from now on I'll set it to medium or low setting just to be safe.

wise871

Database Admin
When I listen or scan from now on I'll set it to medium or low setting just to be safe.

See that's not right. I have old 996T that is still going strong and I never had to run it at low display settings just to be safe. Enjoy your scanner and don't worry about babying the display. I'm pretty sure if it happens again your covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOFA_KING

See that's not right. I have old 996T that is still going strong and I never had to run it at low display settings just to be safe. Enjoy your scanner and don't worry about babying the display. I'm pretty sure if it happens again your covered.

Agreed! When I hear people say they won't use whatever display setting, or won't use the headphone jack, just because they are afraid of failure, I almost can't believe it. These features were meant to be used!

I'm using all the features these radios offer, and if something breaks, I'll either send it in...or most likely fix it myself. That is what we did when we couldn't afford to pay to send it in and pay for the repair bill. We learned to do it ourselves. I can't count the number of times I had to re-solder an external speaker jack mounted on a circuit board. No big deal. Epoxy it to the board, if need be, for a more permanent fix, then solder it. But be afraid to use it? Not me. Never! And LEDs can be replaced, but I'm glad Uniden stepped up and did the right thing. I really doubt the new LEDs will fail after all the bad press they got. That would be most foolish, so I expect that problem is finally solved..

You can do what you want. It's a free country. But the radios were meant to be used, so I use them. Sheesh.

Phil

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sofa_King I agree with you the long time span I hope was testing the replacement parts. Like you said use the setting that is right for you. I run mine on low daytime as I can see my display and off at night so it does not light up the bedroom.

kwd57

Sent my 536 in with the original box and I received it in the same box.

Agreed! When I hear people say they won't use whatever display setting, or won't use the headphone jack, just because they are afraid of failure, I almost can't believe it. These features were meant to be used!

I'm using all the features these radios offer, and if something breaks, I'll either send it in...or most likely fix it myself. That is what we did when we couldn't afford to pay to send it in and pay for the repair bill. We learned to do it ourselves. I can't count the number of times I had to re-solder an external speaker jack mounted on a circuit board. No big deal. Epoxy it to the board, if need be, for a more permanent fix, then solder it. But be afraid to use it? Not me. Never! And LEDs can be replaced, but I'm glad Uniden stepped up and did the right thing. I really doubt the new LEDs will fail after all the bad press they got. That would be most foolish, so I expect that problem is finally solved..

You can do what you want. It's a free country. But the radios were meant to be used, so I use them. Sheesh.

Phil
I would love to save the time of sending both mine in and replace the parts myself, but Uniden will not say what exact parts are needed.
I have seen many people say that it was the speaker jack itself and the battery are the bad parts, but I think there is more to it then that.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
How long between sign up and call for scanner

Just wondering how long folks are finding the wait from when they sign up for the repair campaign to when Uniden calls for their scanner. I have been waiting only since October 8 but it sure feels like a longer time.

Thanks,
Rick - KR3LC

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Just wondering how long folks are finding the wait from when they sign up for the repair campaign to when Uniden calls for their scanner. I have been waiting only since October 8 but it sure feels like a longer time.

Thanks,
Rick - KR3LC

If you entered a 436 on your request it won't be until those parts are available...last noted as early December.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
First signed up two 536 and one 436. Heard nothing for few days. Then did again only with the two 536s. That was 12 days ago. Received labels next day. Today, 11 days later, my two 536s arrived back with battery and display issues fixed. Just like new. Thanks Paul and Uniden.

AC2OY

You know what Wise I actually forgot to look at the back of the scanner to see if there was a three year warentee sticker. I was so excited to have it back I just put the card back in,hooked her up and fired it up.😔 I will take your advice and run it on the brightest setting.😀

buttaik

Attention : Uniden Repair/UPMan

I received my repaired unit (BCD536HP) today. The "Push Function" knob no longer turns nor will it push in to enable the "function" settings. It is almost as if the knob was over-tightened upon reassembly. My reference number is 5663. Please let me know how to fix or return for repair.

Thank you
Jim

whooey

Premium Subscriber
Got my 536 scanner back today, works like a charm. Thank you Paul and co. The new Led's seem a tad warmer "tint" than the old ones. The new one seems to lean more toward white where the old ones had a cooler bluish tint. I suspect the 4 leds behind the screen are just 5mm emitters. Like a Nichia GS. I like the new ones better. :)

(I'm a flashlight guy, I have led "tint snobbery") :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.