BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
Premium Subscriber
Do you mean other than the 2 or 3 responses he's gotten from me, this morning? :eek:

Yes thanks for the responses "UPMAN" whoever you are. You are the only one who got back with an answer and got Uniden to contact me. They are now shipping my unit. Thank you. Until then I went online and got no response but from other people saying read threads page after page to figure out a simple repair and who to contact.

Appreciate the help.

No more responses needed. If you have issues email this UPMAN guy, he must have some clout.

jdeverett

Premium Subscriber
N4GIX [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I just received my 436 and 536 monkeys back today from Uniden. I could not be happier, the care that went into the repair and packaging back to me was above and beyond sub standard. Yes things do happen in life and how we handle those things is what it is about. To me Uniden handled the situation and I will continue to be a good customer. Hell, I am a good customer with Whistler, AOR, ICOM, YAESU, MOTOROLA, MIDLAND,KENWOOD, and so many more. All have there place, remember every tool in the tool box has a use, even if you are not the screw driver. Big thanks to Paul and all at Uniden and this forum that are so helpful.

Joe E
W2WEG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes thanks for the responses "UPMAN" whoever you are. You are the only one who got back with an answer and got Uniden to contact me. They are now shipping my unit. Thank you. Until then I went online and got no response but from other people saying read threads page after page to figure out a simple repair and who to contact.

Appreciate the help.

No more responses needed. If you have issues email this UPMAN guy, he must have some clout.

Actually, the tech who worked on your scanner saw your post here and emailed me that he was getting it taken care of.

troymail

Silent Key
Round trip - 436 and 536

My timeline (436 and 536 shipped together):

Mon 01/04 - dropped for shipping at UPS store around 2pm

Thu 01/07 - UPS delivered to Uniden dock

According to the repair site:

Fri 01/08 - Uniden repair entered them into the system

Mon 01/11 - 536 repaired and "in line for shipping"

Mon 01/18 - received email that they unit(s) had shipped back to me (repair site still reflects no repair updates to the 436)

Thu 01/21 - UPS delivered to my house

It appears that the 536 repair was done 24-48 hours after they received (assuming they don't work weekends) it but it took an extra week to get the 436 done and both radios were shipped back together (as they were shipped out).

It looks like if I had shipped only the 536, the round trip would have possibly been about 10 days but the 436 being bundled appears to have resulted in it taking an extra 7 days.

Voyager

Yes thanks for the responses "UPMAN" whoever you are.

I guess your job does not allow you the time to click on the "WHO IS UPMAN" link at the bottom of his post.

But, on the bright side you seem far too busy at work to use the scanner while it is being repaired. ;)

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
My 436 & 536 showed up today along with my bottle opener. Same time frame as everyone else. The screen color isn't horrible, just different from what we are used to. Hopefully this saga is over with for good.

Voyager

I'm sure the haters will continue to complain about the color for years to come.

I'm also sure there will be some who will complain about the issue but will refuse to send it in for repair.

kc2kth

My 436 is home, received it this afternoon. If the other person had time to read these pages I'd point out for them Uniden received my 436 on the 7th and it stayed in the same status as they are seeing until that status changed to indicate it had been shipped. At that time I received a couple of email updates from Uniden indicating it was on its way back.

😜

omrail

UPman. Hoping you can help with some confusion. Has 5540/1995357 shipped. I've tried calling customer service and Just get a busy tone. I see a lot of people who sent there units in at the same time are getting them back and my numbers say both shipped and in line to be shipped confusing. Been having problems lately with parcels being delivered to other places then my place.

Thank you Sir enjoy your weekend

troymail

Silent Key
My timeline (436 and 536 shipped together):

Mon 01/04 - dropped for shipping at UPS store around 2pm

Thu 01/07 - UPS delivered to Uniden dock

According to the repair site:

Fri 01/08 - Uniden repair entered them into the system

Mon 01/11 - 536 repaired and "in line for shipping"

Mon 01/18 - received email that they unit(s) had shipped back to me (repair site still reflects no repair updates to the 436)

Thu 01/21 - UPS delivered to my house

It appears that the 536 repair was done 24-48 hours after they received (assuming they don't work weekends) it but it took an extra week to get the 436 done and both radios were shipped back together (as they were shipped out).

It looks like if I had shipped only the 536, the round trip would have possibly been about 10 days but the 436 being bundled appears to have resulted in it taking an extra 7 days.

I forgot to check (and mention) that the 436 was returned with that latest firmware already installed.

bearcatrp

Got mine back today. Got a bottle opener too. Display looks great. Nice not to see the message pop up to fix the time. Turn around time was about a month.
BTW, uniden packaged it up pretty good. BUT, the radio was on the bottom of the box with all the stuffing on top of it. Glad the bottom didn't take a hard hit. Would have crushed it.

Last edited:

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Got my 436 back today. Sent it in on 12/31/15. The display doesn't look bad at all. Just have to update the firmware. And I got a bottle opener too! Thanks Uniden! Now awaiting the email to send my 2 536's in for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kc2kth

Got a pen with mine too! I thought that was cool. Also noticed I have the 1.09.x firmware, so only one back which I'm fine with. Others have mentioned the new coating or whatever on the display - gives it a yellowish tint but seems to be an improvement in visibility. Definitely enjoying the 436 again and the HP2 is taking a back seat for now.

troymail

Silent Key
Now that I have my 436 and 536 back, a couple of things I wanted to mention..

I was having serious display readability issues with both radios but had not really experienced the clock problems as my radios (all of my radios) are powered on and on external power 99% of the time. However, knowing that there was a problem with the clock but not knowing if/when it would ever present itself on my units, coupled with the LED/display issues, and the fact that my 536 was also in the early batch that were known to have headphone jack issues which I had never sent in to be addressed, this "collective" of concerns resulted in me taking advantage of the opportunity to get them fixed.

Both units were shipped to Uniden on 1/4 and back in my hands 1/21.

I can say that I do see a marked improvement in the readability of the displays on both radios. At this point, my only request would be to provide a firmware user selectable option on the 436 to allow enabling of a "simple" display - one that would allow for less information to be displayed but larger. The 536 offers options like this but on a much smaller display so it limits the options. I'm certain this improvement could be done in firmware on the 436.

Here's hoping this is a permanent fix and the last of the issues with the hardware on these units.

Last edited:

Voyager

A changeable font size like the HP-x series has would be really nice.

@ KTH: Upgrade the firmware to 1.10.02. 1.09.02 has some bugs.

garys

Premium Subscriber
A changeable font size and the ability to select what we want to see on the display would be really, really, nice.

A changeable font size like the HP-x series has would be really nice.

@ KTH: Upgrade the firmware to 1.10.02. 1.09.02 has some bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.