BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
My BCD436HP is on its way back to me. When I sent it, I had requested that any/all errata be repaired. I even said I'd be glad to pay for it all, just so that I knew it was good to go.

I felt the display was dim. But apparently they did not. The only things shown as being down were "CONTROL BOARD MODIFICATION"

I was hoping to have had the diodes replaced. Perhaps, if they don't think the display has dimmed, that there is no need to replace the diodes because the control board modfiication fixes the issue with them going dim in the first place?

I was one of the first ones to receive a 436. I don't recall the serial #, but I'm sure it has to be one of the lower ones.

So I'm concerned that htey may not have repaired everything that might crop up as a problem that would have normally been fixed under the repair campaign. hopefully they did though.

Mike

northernsummit

Feed Provider
Personally I think you should have asked them to fix the LCD specifically instead of asking them to fix anything that "mgiht" be wrong. I sent my 536 in for the battery failure and wrote a note that said "I need the LCD fixed too, its dim"

Its on a UPS truck pending delivery to me today. Based on discussions here I anticipate I'll have a new LCD today. I hope. It was getting bad in a lit room.

Voyager

My BCD436HP is on its way back to me. When I sent it, I had requested that any/all errata be repaired. I even said I'd be glad to pay for it all, just so that I knew it was good to go.

I felt the display was dim. But apparently they did not. The only things shown as being down were "CONTROL BOARD MODIFICATION"

I was hoping to have had the diodes replaced.

If you don't have it yet, how do you know the entire board was not replaced as they are doing with everyone else?

I think your judgement is a little premature.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator

I was hoping to have had the diodes replaced. Perhaps, if they don't think the display has dimmed, that there is no need to replace the diodes because the control board modfiication fixes the issue with them going dim in the first place?

I was one of the first ones to receive a 436. I don't recall the serial #, but I'm sure it has to be one of the lower ones.

So I'm concerned that htey may not have repaired everything that might crop up as a problem that would have normally been fixed under the repair campaign. hopefully they did though.

Mike

Mine only indicated "Control board modification", but the LED's are definitely not the same ones.

rcool101

Feed Provider

Mike
Perhaps fixes are listed different 436/536. I packed no list in my box. In fact I had no clock problem just dim problem. Wish I got a can opener.:(...Shipped on 1/19...Back 2/2

Attachments

• IMG_20160202_154535582.jpg
    IMG_20160202_154535582.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 763

omrail

I wounder if I will ever see my 436HP. I shipped it to them on 29/Dec/15 received on 07/Jan/16. First told (email) it was shipped on 18/Jan/16 then told (phone) it would ship on 22/Jan/16 then told (status page) it was shipped 25/Jan/16. It is now 02/Feb/16 still do not have it. Was told when it clears customs I would be emailed and the status page would have a tracking number and still don't have that.

rcool101

Feed Provider
536 came back with latest firmware installed and date and time. (1hr off) Display in pic is on high but I won't leave it there. Too bright...:D....If anybody is having thoughts about whether to do this or not, don't hesitate. The turn around is 1/3 the regular time for repair

Attachments

• IMG_20160202_163416837_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160202_163416837_HDR.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 731

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you don't have it yet, how do you know the entire board was not replaced as they are doing with everyone else?

I think your judgement is a little premature.

I think you're going on the defense for Uniden is premature. I wasn't *****ing. I was simply stating my concern that there was no mention of the diodes. If the LEDs are on the control board, then great - looks like i'm getting new.

I wasn't jumping the gun or passing judgement. Just speculating what may / may not have been based upon the description of what was done.

Mike

PS: I won't know what has been replaced when I get it back either -- because I won't be tearing it apart.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
So I received my BCD536HP back today - my invoice looks identical to rcool101's shown above in terms of what was done, but my display does not really look all that bright. How do I know if they fix it? There is no protective coating on it so that isn't a give away.

It looks more white than blue.

Voyager

I think you're going on the defense for Uniden is premature. I wasn't *****ing. I was simply stating my concern that there was no mention of the diodes. If the LEDs are on the control board, then great - looks like i'm getting new.

OK. Your previous post came off as a concern that they didn't do this or that because that's what you said.

I was not necessarily defending - I was pointing out what is known about the process. :D

BTW, I think there is only one (maybe two) boards in the 436, but I believe the board affected is the "control board".

In the 536, there are several boards and they likely do replace the individual LEDs on that one since there is a display board. Not sure if they replace the main board or not on the 536.

In the case of the 436, it has been stated that they replace the board and clone your previous ESN into the new one so any PV keys still work. I believe it was UPMan himself who posted that originally.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
OK. Your previous post came off as a concern that they didn't do this or that because that's what you said.

I was not necessarily defending - I was pointing out what is known about the process. :D

BTW, I think there is only one (maybe two) boards in the 436, but I believe the board affected is the "control board".

In the 536, there are several boards and they likely do replace the individual LEDs on that one since there is a display board. Not sure if they replace the main board or not on the 536.

In the case of the 436, it has been stated that they replace the board and clone your previous ESN into the new one so any PV keys still work. I believe it was UPMan himself who posted that originally.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. At this point I'm not concerned. Looking forward to getting it back and using it. I've missed it more than I'd like to admit :)

mike

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
Got an email last night with an SRO reference number, so they are working on it! I hope to get it back soon! I miss it!

JBrownCS

Just stumbled on this thread. Is there a deadline for sending in one's unit? I would like to have use of it until after President's Day if possible.

Vov33

FUNC

Perhaps fixes are listed different 436/536. I packed no list in my box. In fact I had no clock problem just dim problem. Wish I got a can opener.:(...Shipped on 1/19...Back 2/2

Mine says the same and its on the way back to me. I just hope they fixed the FUNC it would skip passed some of the items when turning the knob maybe it just needed cleaning?

rcool101

Feed Provider
Go to the 1st post on this thread. Click on the link. It might take a couple weeks before they send via email your UPS shipping label and shipping instructions. Never saw a deadline.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Clarification: BCD436HP, the entire control board (which includes LEDs) is replaced. BCD536HP the LEDs are discrete parts on a front panel board and just the LEDs are replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.