BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQPW689

Premium Subscriber
Probably not much to add after the Uniden rep, but my documentation had that same "Control Board Modification". There's no doubt the LED's are different.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
UPMan - SRO # 1995878

UPMan, I show an estimated ship return date of 2/23. I won't be available to receive it between 2/23 and 3/11.
Can you please check if I can either receive it before 2/23 or hold it until after 3/11?
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Tom

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We've typically been shipping a week or two ahead of that posted date. If it still appears to be going to ship then, contact Customer Service and they should be able to update your repair ticket (I don't have access to those systems).

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
We've typically been shipping a week or two ahead of that posted date. If it still appears to be going to ship then, contact Customer Service and they should be able to update your repair ticket (I don't have access to those systems).

Thank you UPMan, that would be awesome if I could get it before 2/23. I'll monitor the status.

yaesumofo

serial number differences

Hello all.
So I sent in my 436 and 536... in seperate boxes.
UNiden has received them, repaired them and shipped them back. Delivery has been delayed by UPS 2x.

In looking at the uniden paperwork I notice one thing which is strange.
The SERIAL numbers on the units uniden is returning to me are different that the ones I sent. are different from the ones

the UNIT serial number is 376260380XXX

THIS IS WHAT IS ON THE RETURN PAPERWORK.
Model: BCD436HP
Serial: 38000XXX

I WONDER WHY THIS IS DIFFERENT.

I have a question for those of you who sent in a 436.

On MY 436 I noticed a TON of Dust and crap under the "screen lens" do any of you have this issue? Does anybody know if UNIDEN has added a gasket to prevent this dust entry?
Is your returned unit free of dust?
Did you receive the same unit you sent?

To be honest while I appriciate that we are able to get the repairs done this whole thing seems like a typical uniden screw up. Heck the "program should not have been necesary!! Even this thread is all over the place in terms of info for end users. And this is supposed to be the best place to get information regarding this repair.
Hell there should be a FAQ related to this program. I can't find one. It could exist I could have missed it.

The release of these radios was a unmitigated disaster.
The fact is these radios should not need to go into repair. This is the SECOND TIME and as a result of a preventable (design) issue.

Paul remind us that this Program is very COSTLY.
TOO BAD do I care for one millisecond how much UNIDEN'S multiple mistakes COST?
Nope I don't care and to be frank its none of our/my business.
Paul speaking for myself I hope it costs UNIDEN a FORTUNE. Maybe the high cost of fixing things as an after thought will teach UNIDEN a lesson about how much better it is to NOT RUSH things to market.
Clearly UNIDEN rushed these products to market. Sending them out with at least three major factory defects.

so yea I hope it costs...
Yaesumofo

MStep

The SERIAL numbers on the units uniden is returning to me are different that the ones I sent. are different from the ones

I have a question for those of you who sent in a 436.

On MY 436 I noticed a TON of Dust and crap under the "screen lens" do any of you have this issue? Does anybody know if UNIDEN has added a gasket to prevent this dust entry?
Is your returned unit free of dust?
Did you receive the same unit you sent?.............

I clipped the relative portions of your post above, just to address some specifics. YES, I agree that it is very strange that you received back units with different serial number(s). Was this just with the 436 or with both units?

It's possible that Uniden inadvertently mixed your unit up with someone else's unit during the repair process, especially since you mention that your 436 now has a "TON of Dust and crap under the screen lens".

I would reach out to Uniden with the specifics to see exactly what happened.

Vov33

Got mine back

Wow the screen looks much brighter!.. Nice and clear!.. Glad it is fixed..I got a pin. I could add a pic but I don't know how on here..

rcool101

Feed Provider
Hello all.
So I sent in my 436 and 536... in seperate boxes.
UNiden has received them, repaired them and shipped them back. Delivery has been delayed by UPS 2x.

Yaesumofo
Originally Posted by sator1
Question: why is there a difference between the Serial Number embedded in the radio software as opposed to the Serial Number printed on the back of the radio? Just curious.
Answer is from Voyager...Post 10 of this Thread...Page 1
Yes, the SN and ESN are slightly different. I suspect it may have something to do with the fact the ESN is numeric and the SN is alphanumeric (or some similar distinction). You cannot represent Z in a hex format in a single character. In short, the storage medium of data may have necessitated the slight variance.

But, the answer is to use the SN not the ESN.

rcool101

Feed Provider
UNIT serial number is 376260380XXX

My guess...:roll:... This number is an ESN... Not an SN....Bottom line...Its yours.....Where's Voyager when you need him?...:D.....(its your dust too)

Last edited:

omrail

38 Days from my door to my door. Would be nice if it did not take 2 weeks to get back to me by going to the other side of the country first. I also like the new light colour. Oh ya never did get a Tracking Number

I would like to get the dim light fixed on my 536HP. Sounds like some have sent there scanners in for just the light fix. Now I'm wondering if I should just do that also, UPMan thoughts?

Last edited:

Voyager

Clarification: BCD436HP, the entire control board (which includes LEDs) is replaced. BCD536HP the LEDs are discrete parts on a front panel board and just the LEDs are replaced.

What about the RTC on the 536?

Voyager

UNIT serial number is 376260380XXX

My guess...:roll:... This number is an ESN... Not an SN....Bottom line...Its yours.....Where's Voyager when you need him?...:D.....(its your dust too)

Sorry. Busy day. Busy week for that matter.

I don't know why the SN would be different. But, a 37xxxxx unit is a VERY early production unit. Maybe it had the earphone issue (if this is a 536) and they decided rather than do so much work they just replaced it as they did with the other earphone-affected units. That's just an educated guess.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

Is XXX the same in both cases? The first part of the S/N is the same on all units, so not unusual for the tech to just put in the last 8 (and only unique) digits.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
UPMan, I show an estimated ship return date of 2/23. I won't be available to receive it between 2/23 and 3/11.
Can you please check if I can either receive it before 2/23 or hold it until after 3/11?
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Tom

My scanner shows "Inline to be Shipped"
Great customer service. It looks like for sure I'll get it back before 2/23.
Looking forward to it!

dak4482

New 536's needing repair???

I am interested in purchasing the 536 but am concerned about this 'REPAIR CAMPAIGN". Are there serial numbers I can check? I went to the Uniden site and the links only send you to queries on existing repairs. If I order a scanner from somewhere how do I know if the one they are going to send me will nedd this recall repair? Thx for any help.

Dan

rcool101

Feed Provider
Caveat emptor

As of now......You won't.....Caveat emptor.....:D

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

Voyager

If you can find one that is a 68xxxxxx series, that should be the newer one. So far there have been no reports about where the newer 536 models start. On the 436 the new ones start somewhere around 580039xx or so and many people are seeing that.

You can always purchase on Amazon, and return it if it's not what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.