BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Also seeing if I can even post a pic?

Wow! That makes my screen look dim.

UPMan, I don't want to return my BCD536HP scanner needlessly so is there a Serial Number delineation where the issues cited were fixed in production before the unit shipped? With 35 pages for this thread, I have no idea if this has been asked before. If not, I guess I will be scheduling my scanner for a trip back to the factory...

73, Dave K4EET/AE

Voyager

I have yet to see any SN info for the 536. For the 436, it's around the 580039xx region.

Vov33

Mine is in the 48006000s .. Fixed the battery and the display LEDs.. also fixed the FUNC knob it works fine now..

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Mine is in the 48006000s .. Fixed the battery and the display LEDs.. also fixed the FUNC knob it works fine now..

My BCD536HP has a serial number in the 48007xxx block and was purchased during July 2015.

I guess that based on the serial number and the way the display compares to the post that I quoted above, means that my scanner has to go back. :( I'll fill out the form referenced on the post by UPMan today. The referenced post is http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/321603-bcd436hp-bcd536hp-repair-campaign.html#post2462973.

73, Dave K4EET/AE

Vov33

My BCD536HP has a serial number in the 48007xxx block and was purchased during July 2015.

I guess that based on the serial number and the way the display compares to the post that I quoted above, means that my scanner has to go back. :( I'll fill out the form referenced on the post by UPMan today. The referenced post is http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/321603-bcd436hp-bcd536hp-repair-campaign.html#post2462973.

73, Dave K4EET/AE

It is worth it.. I sent mine in Jan 19th and got it back Feb 5th..

rcool101

Feed Provider
Do It.....This is high....Its too bright...I set it on Low or Med...:D

Attachments

• rsz_screen1.jpg
    rsz_screen1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 840

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Do It.....This is high....Its too bright...I set it on Low or Med...:D
You probably already posted it, but what is SN# of your 536?.. not sure which one I have.. I have SN# 375Z580000831.. is mine the newest or without problems? I just bought it at HRO Portland, Oregon..
Thanks,
Doug

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP

As mentioned previously I received my 436HP back from Uniden. TIME and LED updates made successfully, but only one question concerning the TIME. Will the scanner need to be charged for the 50 hours to charge the internal time backup battery, as stated when the scanner was new?

Thanks,

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I sent two 436HPs in on Jan 4th and received back with control board mod on Jan 25th. New LED screen and RTC resolved. Clock been working on both since started using again without any need for 50-hour charge period. Been working well since I received them back.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I sent two 436HPs in on Jan 4th and received back with control board mod on Jan 25th. New LED screen and RTC resolved. Clock been working on both since started using again without any need for 50-hour charge period. Been working well since I received them back.

Thanks, Steve.

marksmith

Is this repair campaign still just primarily for the clock issue and the displays are just fixed as a byproduct, or can you send in your radio if the dim screen is the primary problem?

Have never had the clock problem but the screen is very dim.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Is this repair campaign still just primarily for the clock issue and the displays are just fixed as a byproduct, or can you send in your radio if the dim screen is the primary problem?

Have never had the clock problem but the screen is very dim.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I sent my 436 in for the clock problem, and requested they look at the LED screen on my scanner. I had no problem with the LED screen, but figured if it's there, than please check it! ( because of the complaints on the forum). They did, and replaced the screen as well as the board modification. It's now a softer off white screen and easier to read for my tired old eyes. I'm very pleased with the effort Uniden has made with this recall.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I think both the LED and clock problem were both remedied with the board replacement. I agree the display looks very nice now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaesumofo

received and working

I received my 436 and 536 radios from Uniden all in all it took about 3 weeks door back to door.
I received a Uniden PEN and bottle opener.
the back light is much less blue on the 436. On bright I would not exactly call it bright.
I think I preferred the older LED's on the hand held.

All in all I wish I did not have to return this equipment due to FACTORY DEFECTS MULTIPLE TIMES (remember the headphone issue campaign) To be frank what a
CLUSTER F**K!!
These radios are the FLAGSHIPS for the Uniden scanner brand.

If it were my company I would rethink the entire scanner line. I would move over to portable SDR radios as soon as possible. Doing the work in software helps us avoid so many hardware related issues. I would probably fire everybody related to the current "UNIDEN SCANNER LINE" every engineer software, hardware, and RF, I would create an entirely new marketing and customer service module dedicated to scanners.

UNIDEN. Thank you for getting this work that should never have been necessary done! Let hope that we don't start seeing new issues brought about by the "fixes" lets hope.

Yaesumofo

phask

Premium Subscriber
So are all the GM cars that get recalled and they come from a GM Plant not a outsourced manufacturer. So I understand you think GM is the same as Uniden?

Agree with what you are saying - but I'd bet that less than 20-30 percent are produced by GM, the rest are all outsourced.

Most interior, wiring,switches,some sheet metal. Nearly everything except engines and transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.