BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesumofo

repair quality

So a while back I mentioned the amount of DUST that had collected under the lens of my 436.
So I decided to have a closer look at that dust looks like POST REPAIR.
Well most of the dust is gone. What has replaced it is micro scratching on the inside of the lens. So instead of using a little compressed gas the technician scraped it off the delicate plastic optical surface with a scratching cloth or paper. The fact that there is still dust left is also irritating. if you are going to remove the dust, get all of it. Do it with care. otherwise leave it alone.
Whats frustrating is that it is preventable by design. Except they don't design dust resistance into the design. FLAGSHIP RADIO no dust or moisture resistance. If UNIDEN was really in touch with its customer base they would know we do not want to buy radios that get dust under the lens. We do not want to send out our gear to have FACTORY DEFECTS only to find mediocre workmanship and crap QUALITY CONTROL!!
For the kind of dough UNIDEN is spending per unit I would expect TOP NOTCH work.
Wouldn't you?

COME ON UNIDEN elevate your corporate values!!

Yaesumofo

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
X36HP Line Up

You know, I can really appreciate the frustrations that many members have and are going through. I've owned both 536 and 436 since they were introduced. My 436 was recently returned from the recall, with the clock problem solved. As a bonus, they also replaced the LED component for the screen and the scanner is now 100%.

I'm lucky I guess that I haven't experienced the problems which many members have experienced. I've been extremely happy with the x36HP"s since inception. As a matter of fact, these scanners are the best scanners I've owned in the last 40 years of monitoring.

I know everyone won't agree, but my hat is off to Uniden.

k3fs

I too have a radio with the dimming display. Are we to still wait on sending it in? I understand, the need to take care of those with the RTC issue first. That is why I have been waiting. But have we reached the point that we can send in just for the dimming display?

I know its been asked before, but I have yet to see it answered by UPMan

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
You know, I can really appreciate the frustrations that many members have and are going through. I've owned both 536 and 436 since they were introduced. My 436 was recently returned from the recall, with the clock problem solved. As a bonus, they also replaced the LED component for the screen and the scanner is now 100%.

I'm lucky I guess that I haven't experienced the problems which many members have experienced. I've been extremely happy with the x36HP"s since inception. As a matter of fact, these scanners are the best scanners I've owned in the last 40 years of monitoring.

I know everyone won't agree, but my hat is off to Uniden.

I agree, the 536 is the best scanner I have owned

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Would anyone have any information in regard to roughly what date new 436's and 536's were shipped without any of the issues discussed within this thread?

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I think what Uniden should have done from the beginning of the problems, and still can, is do a immediate recall all units from their resellers, and do a fast exchange with a corrected NEW model upon receiving a return from any customer.. no questions asked.. no waiting in the FIX line.. Just my 3 cents.. there should not be any of this: did you get a good one when you ordered or had the repair?? :) not trying to be critical here.. just factual ..it should be: sent it back, and we will send you a new and perfect product.. please don't tell me they can't afford not to do it.. those scanners coming from China may have cost them $50 at most, and that is probably a exaggeration . take care of the customer.. I want to order a New BCD436HP, but not sure what I'm gong to get.. I have already sent back 2.. one to Amazon and one to HRO .. Bottom Line: I think Uniden thought, well if they notice it, we will fix it.. if they don't, fine.. with also the thought in mind.. hopefully they won't notice.. :) that is what I see viewing all these posts, and my experience as well. Sounds kinda like a Volkswagen situation.. LOL..
Doug

Last edited:

marksmith

I too have a radio with the dimming display. Are we to still wait on sending it in? I understand, the need to take care of those with the RTC issue first. That is why I have been waiting. But have we reached the point that we can send in just for the dimming display?

Still waiting on an answer to this one myself.

Have been following this thread, waiting for months to learn when I can send in the 536 for the dim screen since I don't seem to have the clock issue, or at least have never run into the problem.

Anybody know if we should start sending in 536 units with dim screens but not a clock issue?

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

rcool101

Feed Provider
YES... Answered already....you don't need Paul's personal blessing.... I did not have the clock problem. Just display. Sent in and back already. Several have too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

omrail

Still waiting on an answer to this one myself.

Have been following this thread, waiting for months to learn when I can send in the 536 for the dim screen since I don't seem to have the clock issue, or at least have never run into the problem.

Anybody know if we should start sending in 536 units with dim screens but not a clock issue?

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

I asked a few times also. Monday I gave up and submitted a repair request. As rcool101 said many others from the sounds of it have sent in for just the LED so i will also.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
536 back from repair question

I received my 536 back from repair. Everything seems fine, glad to have it back. My service receipt only mentions under "Parts Replaced or Actions Performed" the (4) diodes D415 D416 D417 D418.
But not a mention anywhere about the RTC repair or parts? I had to re-set the clock when I powered it up.
Do you think the RTC repair was missed?

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
You would have to do this anyway. As for if it was missed don't know I would think not.

Thanks for confirming that it is normal for owners to re-set the clock after receiving their radios back.
It just seems odd that the repair document has absolutely no mention of repairing the clock, only the display diode part numbers. I hope it's just a clerical mistake.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
On my 436 I don't have a dimming display just a hard to see display. Would sending it in be a fix for that?
Yes, not a good lighted display.. for sure.. Great scanner, with a poor and weak lighted display. very dim even on high... and unlighted as well.. hard to believe .. what a shame.. ruins the enjoyment of the radio for me..
Doug

Last edited:

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
In all fairness, I think a big part of my problem with Screen Brightness of the 436, which I think is Dim, is because I'm so use to Phones, iPad etc... I love the scanner and will live with it.. I don't like bashing.. Sorry...
Doug

Last edited:

KC0UHS

I was fortunate to order my new BCD436HP from ScannerMaster on Wednesday, and it arrived last Friday (2/12/16),The unit is perfect, and is the updated model, so no sending it in for me. The serial number range for it is 580047XX. Very, very pleased with the everything about the scanner, working great :)

RayK

For UP Man -No parts Used ???

Received my BCD536HP from Uniden repair Ser# 580001xx sro# 1995911 "no parts used" ????
and I didn't get a pen or bottle opener ??

Status
Not open for further replies.