BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

justabigham

Premium Subscriber
I got my 436 back last week. Have not had to reset the clock yet so hope it is fixed. Would have liked a new screen plastic as mine is badly scratched but forgot to mention it when I sent it in. Has anybody ordered a new one and done the replacement themselves?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've replaced a couple screen bezels. It's just held in place with double-sided tape and a little tab on the bottom that locks into the front case. Remove the 6 screws on the back of the case (2 are in the battery compartment) to take the front case off. Use a plastic spatula or similar to pry the bezel out, starting at the top, and working down. A popsicle stick with one end ground to a chisel point works pretty well. Pry on the inside, you can get the tool between the bezel and case easier. Clean out all the old tape residue before putting new tape in. And it's easiest to apply tape to the new lens, then trim anything that sticks out, rather than putting tape in the case.

To reduce glare, cut a piece of 1/16" plexiglass, using the old bezel as a pattern. Score it with an x-acto knife or similar when tracing, so you have a precise fitment reference.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Greetings:

I just posted a version of the message below in the "UHF Reception issues due to Noise from the Battery Compartment" thread, so I hope it isn't considered a violation of the "same post to two threads" rule. I thought it might be a useful bit of news on this thread as well . . .

After a week of informal, unscientific testing following installation of the F12J capacitor/control board, I must report that my BCD4356HP's reception of VHF-hi and UHF signals has improved . . . at least, when compared to its previous performance. The 436's overall performance now seems comparable to my trusty old BCD396XT in terms of sensitivity.

I will continue to listen carefully to my 436 and conduct an extended side-by-side comparison with the 396, but I think it's safe to recommend that anyone experiencing sensitivity problems with his/her 436 should consider sending it back to Uniden to be fixed . . . if indeed it's missing the famous F12J (C1?)capacitor. Those of you who are already doing your monitoring in strong-signal environments and who are happy with your 436 will probably not notice any significant improvement following the F12J surgery.

-Johnnie

wa9pvs

Premium Subscriber
RTC Fail answered

UPMan,
After an unknown period time, probably five or six days, of not using my 536 scanner, I needed to reset its clock, I tested the clock function per the Repair Campaign instructions to test its clock battery. The clock passed the test. The clock worked fine as per the test. I was away this week so the scanner was off for four days. When I turned the 536 on, it needed a clock reset.
How long can a good clock battery go without a recharge in the 536? Is this a symptom of an becoming a 536 clock reset Repair Campaign candidate? I'm not eager to send the 536 back, however just wondering if my 536 is on that path for repair. - Thanks, Ken

Just a few weeks after I posted this, some of my questions were answered when the RTC failed. Prior to this the RTC operated correctly for almost a year and a half. I am happy to report the 536 is on its way to remembering what time it is.

de wa9pvs

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I've tried to read thru this thread as best as I can, but with so many pages, I may have missed what I was looking for, so I need to ask a question.....

I recently bought a used BCD436HP off of eBay. The listed description made no mention of the clock issue, yet the clock suffers memory loss every time it's turned off. I still would have bought the radio even if the clock issue was listed, but if would have been nice to know in advance.

Anyway, I guess my question is would I be able to send it in for / eligible for this repair even though I am not the original owner?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Last edited:

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Just got my 436 back from repair center, it took 1 day less than 3 weeks start to finish. New board replaced with new LEDs, clock battery repair and it has the capacitor. Good job Uniden.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I guess I may need to send mine in, it took a long time for it to start losing the clock settings and the display is much dimmer than my other unidens, I've sent other scanners before. But I'm sure it will still cost $12 to send..I guess the repair campaign is still going, I waited til the last minute I guess...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I guess I may need to send mine in, it took a long time for it to start losing the clock settings and the display is much dimmer than my other unidens, I've sent other scanners before. But I'm sure it will still cost $12 to send..I guess the repair campaign is still going, I waited til the last minute I guess...

Won't cost anything to send it in to Uniden under the repair campaign. They pay the UPS charge. I'll have my 436HP back on Monday, didn't cost me anything.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Received my 436 back from Uniden last night. Everything works fine, only one issue. When I first turn on the scanner the screen shows "Adjust Error" for about 1 second. Then continues booting and all is well. Did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. Any ideas? Ever happen to anyone else?

Thanks,

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Won't cost anything to send it in to Uniden under the repair campaign. They pay the UPS charge. I'll have my 436HP back on Monday, didn't cost me anything.

Sent it off yesterday, we'll see what happens

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Sent it off yesterday, we'll see what happens

It got delivered in Texas, but I didn't realize I was supposed to put SRO Returns on the box.. So.. Will it still go through processing and get fixed and back to me?? Upman? Or anyone

AtlasFBG2

There must be a lot of these scanners being returned or Uniden is really slacking.

I sent mine out on 9-6-17 they received it on 9-11-17. Placed it in the repair center on 9-25-17

The instructions said they would place it in repair center as soon as it arrived. Well that didn't happen for two weeks. lol

Maybe I will get it back by Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.