BCD436HP can't hear LAPD or LAFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

simiglen

I just purchased a BCD436hp with a stock antenna. I live in Simi Valley which is just over the hill (different county) from Los Angeles. I programmed the scanner using the Sentinel software and making separate lists for
1. Simi PD
2. Ventura County Fire
3. Ventura County Sheriff
4. LAPD
5. LAFD
6. CHP
7. La County Fire
8. La County Sheriff

I can hear all stations from Ventura County (1-3). Would an antenna make that much of a difference on the LA county stations and CHP. I am literally 3 miles from the county line (birds eye) so i should be able to pick up their signal. Is there somethingIi could of missed on programming, although I cut and paste all the channels the same (sentinel style).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

ChrisABQ

Be sure to UPDATE your radio through Sentinel. The firmware should be 1.11.20 and also update the database as things have changed greatly over the last several years.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You aren't going to be able to hear systems on the other side of a mountain from you, especially if using the stock antenna.

SCPD

QRT
436 in Burbank no problem

I just purchased a BCD436hp with a stock antenna. I live in Simi Valley which is just over the hill (different county) from Los Angeles. I programmed the scanner using the Sentinel software and making separate lists for
1. Simi PD
2. Ventura County Fire
3. Ventura County Sheriff
4. LAPD
5. LAFD
6. CHP
7. La County Fire
8. La County Sheriff

I can hear all stations from Ventura County (1-3). Would an antenna make that much of a difference on the LA county stations and CHP. I am literally 3 miles from the county line (birds eye) so i should be able to pick up their signal. Is there somethingIi could of missed on programming, although I cut and paste all the channels the same (sentinel style).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If it was me, I'd be tempted to make a road trip to the LA county area. If I got reception there, that would confirm my programming is accurate.

Thus the reception is suspect at your location. I'd see how close to home I got before reception fell off. If you are close (couple of miles), then another portable might be helpful. Some folks have mentioned the Diamond 77 antenna as being decent. Diamond® Antenna ~ RH77CA HT/Scanner Antenna

If it's more than a couple of miles and LA is important, an outside antenna mounted as high as possible, might be worth considering.

simiglen

Well it is the stock antenna 😫 I went to la today and low and behold I heard it all. I have a diamond antenna coming Monday. Let's hope it pulls in some better signals.

My last scanner is a 30 year analog from radio shack and it pulled in all the signals with no issues.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Some things have changed with time. Nowadays the FCC is pretty stingy about transmitter power so as to allow closer re-use of frequencies. Also, I believe LAPD may have used VHF versus UHF. UHF at X watts doesn't travel as far as VHF at X watts. So adding that to the hill predicament gives your challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.