BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP - Can't select TRBO System in Favorites List

TeddJohnson

Premium Subscriber
I'm struggling more with figuring out my BCD436HP than most other radio things. I have the DMR/NXDN/ProVoice Unlocks.

I got the 30 days free trial of ProScan, and I setup my favorites with a bunch of things. Since I'm in Orange County, sadly most of my scanning isn't law enforcement stuff, but I figured I might enjoy listening to random commercial things. I setup the FisherWireless TeamTalk (I've heard it a few times with SDRTrunk just fine) as one of them, but when I try and jump to that "system" it isn't listed.

1715756246754.png

If I'm in Scan Mode for the "Providers" List, I can select any of the other Systems here, but the Fisher Wireless TeamTalk is missing.

I may end up changing how I have this organized later, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around System vs Department vs Site vs Channel (Talkgroup?) and figured hopping around on things would still be a good place to start.

I think I'll probably keep the device (I got it for a great price!) and I'm interested in using close-call and discovery to find things not in the database yet (though I read I will probably need to be judicious about that, I won't catch anything just scanning massive swaths of frequency) but since a lot of things around me are likely to be DMR I have to figure out this issue first.

Cheers

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
When you say "If I'm in Scan Mode for the "Providers" List". Is that refering to the Set Scan Selection menu item or Manage Favorites menu item or are you refering to the system level "ID Scan/ID Search option.
What do you mean by "jump" and "not listed"? I don't see any SQKs (System/Site Quick Keys) assigned so they are all on automatically.

{edit} Since that is the only DMR/MotoTRBO system I see you have programmed, can you go to the scanner menu to see if DMR is activated.
Settings -> Upgrade ->Upgrade DMR/MotoTRBO. Pressing the "E" key should show "DMR/MotoTRBO has already been activated"

I can receive Santiago Peak.

image1.png

image2.png

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Close call may not be what you think it is.
Yes, the radio detects close transmissions.

Key here is "close" - the signal strength needed to trigger it is fairly high.
Someone can chime in on what that strength exactly is, but discovery is the tool to use for finding new stuff.

TeddJohnson

Premium Subscriber
When you say "If I'm in Scan Mode for the "Providers" List". Is that refering to the Set Scan Selection menu item or Manage Favorites menu item or are you refering to the system level "ID Scan/ID Search option.
What do you mean by "jump" and "not listed"? I don't see any SQKs (System/Site Quick Keys) assigned so they are all on automatically.

{edit} Since that is the only DMR/MotoTRBO system I see you have programmed, can you go to the scanner menu to see if DMR is activated.
Settings -> Upgrade ->Upgrade DMR/MotoTRBO. Pressing the "E" key should show "DMR/MotoTRBO has already been activated"

I can receive Santiago Peak.

View attachment 162179

View attachment 162180
hey! thanks for responding, I had no idea you were also down here in SoCal :)

firstly, yes "DMR/MotoTRBO has already been activated". I'm pretty sure I've manually entered a DMR frequency and heard talk on it (might have been fisher wireless even) Edit: I am now scanning through the County systems, and picked up the Recycling center, it says DMR in the bottom right, so pretty sure it's working.

secondly: I hit menu, select lists to monitor, then turn on my "Providers" list (And everything else is off).
I then go back to the scanner and hit "System", and rotate the knob at the top, but Fisher Wiresless TeamTalk isn't selectable (in the top of the 3, which I think is the "system"?).

Edit: I just checked in the "Manage Favorites" section, and the Fisher Wireless TeamTalk is in there (and nothing is set to avoid in that system)

Last edited:

TeddJohnson

Premium Subscriber
Close call may not be what you think it is.
Yes, the radio detects close transmissions.

Key here is "close" - the signal strength needed to trigger it is fairly high.
Someone can chime in on what that strength exactly is, but discovery is the tool to use for finding new stuff.

This makes sense, my understanding is it has to do with being X amount higher than the RF floor. I tried it last night, and it kept picking stuff up around 210/211 which might be broadcast tv? I probably need to tune it a bit more. my goal would be to see if I can find if my HOA or other neighborhoods around here use radios. I see that mine has some licenses, but it might be for automatic sprinklers?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
This makes sense, my understanding is it has to do with being X amount higher than the RF floor. I tried it last night, and it kept picking stuff up around 210/211 which might be broadcast tv? I probably need to tune it a bit more. my goal would be to see if I can find if my HOA or other neighborhoods around here use radios. I see that mine has some licenses, but it might be for automatic sprinklers?

Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

See Set CC bands

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Close call will usually only work on close to the radio stuff. I have had airplanes @ 30000 feet trigger it and I believe radio stations. My local fd right around the corner will not. If your snooping for radios in use by the HOA, try setting discovery searches with the squelch set on the higher side.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Edit: I just checked in the "Manage Favorites" section, and the Fisher Wireless TeamTalk is in there (and nothing is set to avoid in that system)
That was my next question. Perfect. The system is in the scanner and not avoided.

Can you double and triple check that the DMR/MotoTRBO key is activated.
I see you are already monitoring DMR. I'm out of ideals.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
@TeddJohnson
Can you go to the Review Avoids to make sure the system doesn't appear there. {edit} If it does then the DMR/MotoTRBO key is not activated.
Menu -> Manage Favorites-> Select Favorites [favorite] -> Review Avoids

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
This makes sense, my understanding is it has to do with being X amount higher than the RF floor.

Close. It's about 20 dB stronger than any other signal in the band. That would be the noise floor if there is only one active signal in range.

TeddJohnson

Premium Subscriber
@TeddJohnson
Can you go to the Review Avoids to make sure the system doesn't appear there. {edit} If it does then the DMR/MotoTRBO key is not activated.
Menu -> Manage Favorites-> Select Favorites [favorite] -> Review Avoids

I'm certain that it says DMR/MotoTRBO is already activated, and as mentioned I picked up something on DMR earlier as well.

Just to double check, I manually (Direct Frequency) Tuned to 452.400 (I saw traffic on that frequency via SDRTrunk and confirmed with my Anytone 878) and the BCD436HP decoded the voice just fine.

"Nothing Avoided" as well.

I'm gonna try putting the Fisher in as it's own group instead of under "providers", maybe I messed something up there (I didn't realize it's the ONLY DMR one in that favorite group I believe, so it's likely I missed something obvious)

TeddJohnson

Premium Subscriber
Final update: re-adding Fisher Wireless TeamTalk as it's own group seems to have worked

TeddJohnson

Premium Subscriber
Alright, to really be confusing: it now shows Fisher Wireless in the "Providers" favorite group just fine too. Lesson learned: always try reloading it first