BCD436HP Confusion (Scanning Avoids?) Ohio MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvf

Please take mercy on me, folks. It must be a simple solution, so simple I can't figure it out after seemingly endless fiddling.

I'm trying to avoid everything except my local SO that's on Ohio MARCS and local PD which is on conventional. I'm still scanning neighboring counties, however. I have these neighboring systems set to avoid and my range set to "0" but still end up scanning avoids. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Most likely this is an issue with Departments. While you may have adjacent county sites avoided, the nieghboring departments are not avoided.

Some times if a neighboring county talkgroup gets a better signal from the tower in your home county, the radio will use your home county tower. You'll hear the transmission.

Using the above suggestion, your Favorites List should have only the tower in your home county and only your home county Department as one system. A second system in this Favorites List would be the local PD conventional "stuff".

It's not too hard doing this. If you could tell us which county and which local PD you have in mind, a Favorites List could be created in just a few minutes.

pvf

Wow, I guess I couldn't see the forrest for the trees. Thanks for clearing this up, favorites is the way to go. I guess I had a hard time wrapping my head around the location-based aspect of this scanner not to mention being a digital trunking noob. At zero range I was still scanning adjacent counties' County System TGID's. My mind just melted on the 5th dimension of scanning... Thanks, Home Patrol.

pvf

I have two Department/Site Names under a single favorites list. One is conventional and the other is P25. I can't figure out why it only scans the conventional system. Any ideas?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
System avoided.
All departments are avoided
Sites are avoided.
SQK for the P25 is disabled.
Service types used by the P25 are disabled.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Department Quick Keys could be turned off.

If you are using location control, you may be out of range.

You could try turning off the conventional that you are receiving and attempt to only scan the P25. If you see "Nothing to Scan" that would indicate the things described above are off. If it keeps scanning, then you are either out of reception range, no one is transmitting, or you may not have the appropriate channels programmed in the FL for some reason.

pvf

When I go to "Select Service Types" I can't change anything there. In my case the Law Interop, Dispatch, and Tac are set to "On" but that's it and I can't change the status of anything.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That would mean that your enabled Favorites List(s) only have those three service types assigned to channels (if there are no channels of a service type in the current FL selection, they are greyed out).

pvf

OK, I think my troubles were from not addressing all the the instances of the Ohio MARCS Systems and ID's in the database. However, I still can't get it to scan Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You may try making a post in the Ohio section and see if someone could post an HPE file with the Ohio system there.

This might be helpful in showing how others have done this and would give you another starting point.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You are aware tha MARCS-IP is a totally different system?

You will need at least 3 systems:
MARCS
MARCS-IP
Conventional.

Where are you in Ohio?

OK, I think my troubles were from not addressing all the the instances of the Ohio MARCS Systems and ID's in the database. However, I still can't get it to scan Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25)

pvf

I'm in Champaign County just trying to monitor SO and City of Urbana police division.

pvf

These are the ID's that don't seem to be scanning:

i-Bx7p3w2-X3.jpg

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You've not programmed any site for that system. Without a site programmed, there is nothing for the scanner to tune to to find the channels on a trunked radio system.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just doing some quick tinkering, here is what I came up with. I am unfamiliar with this system. Also, all of the sites, which you won't need are there. You only need those close to you. The others can be deleted, avoided or otherwise turned off.

I also forgot to add the conventional mentioned above.

If nothing else, it might give you some ideas. . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.