BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP Crashed while updating favorites.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
I started updating favorites and hit cancel. Now it's saying that the microSD is corrupted. I tried to use 'clear user data' and 'firmware update' but it seems like the PC now won't recognize the radio anymore. Dropped in a new micro SD but the radio says "card file error" and directs me to use sentinels 'Clear User Data' to initialize it. But of course, Sentinel can't find it because the PC isn't recognizing it anymore.
Plugged the radio into another computer and that one wouldn't recognize it in any port either.
Now every time I power it up, it goes directly on, tries to boot up and gives me the card error. Don't have the 'write to card' choice anymore.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Put in the new card, go to Clear User Data in Sentinel, then tick Display All Drives. If that doesn't work, use an external microSD card reader.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I started updating favorites and hit cancel. Now it's saying that the microSD is corrupted. I tried to use 'clear user data' and 'firmware update' but it seems like the PC now won't recognize the radio anymore. Dropped in a new micro SD but the radio says "card file error" and directs me to use sentinels 'Clear User Data' to initialize it. But of course, Sentinel can't find it because the PC isn't recognizing it anymore.
Plugged the radio into another computer and that one wouldn't recognize it in any port either.
Now every time I power it up, it goes directly on, tries to boot up and gives me the card error. Don't have the 'write to card' choice anymore.
For a 'brand new' correctly formatted card, use the steps Syncopations noted:

Put the card in either a card reader, or install it in the scanner. (If installed in the scanner, put it into Mass Storage Mode.)

Use the Clear User Data under the drop-down Scanner menu in Sentinel to install the base files the scanner needs. (If you do not see the card, select "show all drives".

Then, with the card either in a card reader, or in the scanner, which needs to be in Mass Storage Mode, load your Favorites lists of choice to the scanner, which should also update the main database.

For the original card, use the formatter to prepare for use.

Either format the card in the scanner (under Mass Storage Mode, or in an external card reader.

Then, with the card either in the scanner (which should be in Mass Storage Mode), or external reader, use the Clear User Data. If the card is not showing up, be sure & select 'see all drives'.

Now, use Sentinel to load your Favorites lists and other data to the card. If it was formatted & loaded externally (not in the scanner), install the card in the scanner and see if it will boot up and run.

If the card still does not work after formatting, and following the steps for setup (starting with the Clear User Data process), then it may be beyond saving, and should be discarded.

Last edited:

howie38

Premium Subscriber
For a 'brand new' correctly formatted card, use the steps Syncopations noted:

Put the card in either a card reader, or install it in the scanner. (If installed in the scanner, put it into Mass Storage Mode.)
Got it, thanks. Had to use the SD card large adapter in the PC to recognize it. Used the old card, did the clear and firmwear update. Re-installed it and got the radio back to normal. Got the write to mass storage option back. everything was still on the card.
Had a problem like that before where I started to load an updated favorites but then hit 'cancel' to check something first and the radio went all corrupted. But it never locked up everything where I couldn't reset it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it fixed!

If you use a mobile scanner (where the SD card comes out easy), it is "more better" to use an external card reader. The read/write speeds are faster on a card reader compared to the cable and scanner.

And if you are getting one new SD card, may as well get two and make a spare for future/emergency use.