BCD436HP Dead Pixel

Status
Not open for further replies.

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
Received my BCD436HP this morning and fired it up to find a deal pixel on the left side, middle of the screen. It looks like a tiny moon glaring at me when the backlight is on. I adjusted the contrast and anything else I could find to adjust and it's still there.

Anyone else have this problem? Serial # is 0768.

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
same thing with me!!

Received my BCD436HP this morning and fired it up to find a deal pixel on the left side, middle of the screen. It looks like a tiny moon glaring at me when the backlight is on. I adjusted the contrast and anything else I could find to adjust and it's still there.

Anyone else have this problem? Serial # is 0768.

yes same problem here i bought my scanner threw HRO and the SECOND day i had it i had a line of dead pixels the ran across the bottom of screen.... very disappointed in my scanner. i returned it and waiting for the replacement to come in.... i have had my BC346XT for more then 6 years and nothing has broken with it, yet... (knocking on wood)

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
Looks like there might be some problems with them so I'm sending this one back. It's only one now but how many will show up later?

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 889

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Looks like there might be some problems with them so I'm sending this one back. It's only one now but how many will show up later?

Many companies that sell devices that can have "dead" pixels have stated guide-lines on how many and in what location the dead pixel must be in before they will address the issue.

Have you guys heard of this before?

Boatanchor

Does anyone here remember the original Icom IC-756 and it's LCD display of doom?

I hope for Uniden's sake that this is not a precursor to something similar.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
No such issues with mine so far, just the dreaded white specks inside the display. I'm gonna have to open it up and clean it out, plus maybe figure out how they're getting in there so I don't have to keep taking it apart. It's definitely dust from outside the case - Arizona is a dusty place and it gets into everything out here.

-AZ

bberns22

Its not a dead pixel, its a stuck pixel - and they have been issues for years on many lcd display's especially early hdtv displays; however they are somewhat rare on monochrome devices. They can get unstuck my constant on off activity but no guarantee. Generally stuck pixels don't occur after manufacture - deal pixels (unlit spots - washed out) will occur as the device ages.

whsbuss

No such issues with mine so far, just the dreaded white specks inside the display. I'm gonna have to open it up and clean it out, plus maybe figure out how they're getting in there so I don't have to keep taking it apart. It's definitely dust from outside the case - Arizona is a dusty place and it gets into everything out here.

-AZ

You're not the first to report dust inside the screen. I believe its the upper left corner of the display. I sure hope Uniden gets its QC under control, Vietnam or not.

RF23

Premium Subscriber

-AZ

As I mentioned in another thread I have one speck of what appears to be a very white dust particle in the middle of my display but I cannot see it unless I am certain lighting conditions so it is not a problem.

However, since the display appears to be well sealed on my 436 it must have come from the factory or off of something in the scanner that flakes off when jarred, perhaps in shipping.

I have noticed that the plastic cover for the display appears to be curved, perhaps to slightly magnify the characters of the display. I wonder if this may magnify any dust too?

If you are into computers you know that "work-arounds" for some hardware and especially software problems is a "way of life" so I an use to it and actually have fun finding these "work-around".

VE3RADIO

-AZ

Same issue for me.. white spec on the inside of the LCD.. unacceptable.

tommypierson

whsbuss

LOL, WHITE SPEC, I have white SPEC'S 10 of them to be exact. I'm just happy I can finally listen to my local simulcast system. I agree it's not acceptable but I'm happy for what I have have and not what I don't have. Click on this post to see my all my swirls and WHITE SPECS.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...i-love-my-436-but-attn-upman.html#post2129578

Hey, if you're happy fine. But I don't understand these QC problems. We're talking $500 and pixel/dust should not be happening.

tommypierson

Hey, if you're happy fine. But I don't understand these QC problems. We're talking $500 and pixel/dust should not be happening.

Not happy in the least bit, Just happy that I can hear my local simulcast system. Hey what can I do??

WELCOME TO CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!!

There is nothing I can do except maybe take it apart, Wait I do that on every Baofeng I get due to dust under the screen, But hey IT'S ONLY A $39 RADIO. =)

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Are these "specs" that are cropping up dead pixels or dust particles? I noticed one also about middle right on my brand spankin new BCD436HP screen! It's still prevalent with the unit off and its a fairly good size spec that really isn't easy to overlook. While it isn't a major operating issue, I'm not so sure I will let this "pass" like I did with my spec (dust) filled PSR 800 inner screen.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I have a perfect solution for folks who don't want dust in their scanners: Dust covers when not in use. Ziploc freezer bag when traveling. I kid you not, my former father in law has radios that are easily 30+ years old and they still look brand new as if just removed from the box because he keeps dust covers on everything and only handles his radios with white cloth gloves on (I think he buys them by the gross, lol). I asked him why he did this and he told me that the oil from your fingers will actually attract dust and other little particles which then work their way into the device. I'm not that anal so I don't do this but after seeing my poor 436 with a severe case of dandruff inside the display, I might start. My new wife-to-be will think I've finally lost it (little does she know I lost my marbles a long damn time ago ha ha).

-AZ

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
Mine was dead or stuck and only visible when the backlight was on. It wasn't dust. Shipped it back today.

Having the headphone issue with the 536 in addition to this pixel issue with the 436 has me at a high hover right now.

whsbuss

Mine was dead or stuck and only visible when the backlight was on. It wasn't dust. Shipped it back today.

Having the headphone issue with the 536 in addition to this pixel issue with the 436 has me at a high hover right now.

Wow man, I feel for you. I suspect more delays on the next shipment

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
This issue seems to have quieted down - perhaps it was only on a very small number of scanners? Seems that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.