BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP for $327 new on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulca

The 436XT must be coming out soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boatanchor

Its all about revenue

Uniden are desperate to increase sales because their revenue figures have been dropping about 20% YOY for virtually the last decade or more.

Uniden Electronics Div is pretty much a one trick pony now. Their forays into security and dashcam camera's has not been successful, there has been talk of legal battles over streaming technology (still wondering why you cant cloud stream from your 536HP?) and disastrous product recalls, that would have absorbed a lot of the profit originally seen from the sales of the equipment in the first place.

The only bright spot is probably still the company's real estate business in Tokyo, which should be a profitable business.

Sadly, the company's financials and releases to the Tokyo stock market tell the story though.

The Electronics division seems to be in a downward death spiral of reducing revenue, which then forces a drop in R&D expenditure, further salaried staff cuts, additional hard asset sales and ultimately, a reduction in innovation, which results in stale products being plied into an already saturated market.

No share dividends have been paid for several years now and I have absolutely no idea why the share price is where it is, except to say that there must be a lot of frothy, dumb money flowing around the stock markets in Japan.

My prognosis for Uniden's Electronics Division hasn't changed even with a change in CEO.

Expect more product dumping as a last ditch effort to ramp up revenue, but mark my words, the clock is ticking for Uniden.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
If there was a new model coming out, the nerds who watch the FCC submissions would have told us about it already.

kc9svj

New model? I wonder what it might have on it? I'm happy with my 436 still haven't mastered all its features but its doing the job for what I want to hear right now.

SCPD

QRT
nope

My ham friend went to Dayton and he says no new models from either scanner company :(. :mad::confused:Wonder why....
BCD-436HP is at $399 now at amazon,why'd you tell me its 327?

allend

Premium Subscriber
Uniden are desperate to increase sales because their revenue figures have been dropping about 20% YOY for virtually the last decade or more.

Uniden Electronics Div is pretty much a one trick pony now. Their forays into security and dashcam camera's has not been successful, there has been talk of legal battles over streaming technology (still wondering why you cant cloud stream from your 536HP?) and disastrous product recalls, that would have absorbed a lot of the profit originally seen from the sales of the equipment in the first place.

The only bright spot is probably still the company's real estate business in Tokyo, which should be a profitable business.

Sadly, the company's financials and releases to the Tokyo stock market tell the story though.

The Electronics division seems to be in a downward death spiral of reducing revenue, which then forces a drop in R&D expenditure, further salaried staff cuts, additional hard asset sales and ultimately, a reduction in innovation, which results in stale products being plied into an already saturated market.

No share dividends have been paid for several years now and I have absolutely no idea why the share price is where it is, except to say that there must be a lot of frothy, dumb money flowing around the stock markets in Japan.

My prognosis for Uniden's Electronics Division hasn't changed even with a change in CEO.

Expect more product dumping as a last ditch effort to ramp up revenue, but mark my words, the clock is ticking for Uniden.

People that post in the "rants tavern" speak otherwise but I have been saying it all along. The death spiral of 20 percent YOY is concrete on paper. Lets face the facts. Also, people probably know who Bob Grove was. "Grove Enterprises". He bailed out of the scene years ago and said the scanner market was going to be in a death spiral because of certain factors below. He was right. He saw the writing all over the wall.

1. Younger Generations are not spending money on scanner radios.
2. Privacy and Paranoia and Encryption has made this 20 percent YOY decline an honest fact.
3. Technology was our friend 15 years ago. Now Technology is our own worst enemy and will only get
worse.

Honestly I see no way at this point on how the scanner market can rebound. I see some other posts where they say that Amazon probably bought alot of junk older re-furbed of the BCDx36 radios. Uniden probably fixed the radios and re boxed it and selling it as new. It makes sense to off load merchandise to create cash flow so they don't get stuck with older hardware.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
None of the recent Amazon purchasers have been complaining about receiving junk/refurb scanners, so you might want to lay off the conspiracy kool-aid a bit.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I see some other posts where they say that Amazon probably bought alot of junk older re-furbed of the BCDx36 radios. Uniden probably fixed the radios and re boxed it and selling it as new. It makes sense to off load merchandise to create cash flow so they don't get stuck with older hardware.

I'd be surprised if Uniden is a party to this, other than the initial sale. If you follow the link, you'll see who is actually selling these things and its not Uniden or any of their "retail partners". Amazon's site uses the words "New and used", so I'm kind of wondering about the lineage of these bargain price scanners.

If Uniden sells a refurbished scanner, they typically do it "in house" on their website. I believe they do that so there is no question on whether someone gets a new scanner (from their retail partners) or a refurb (from their site). See: https://www.uniden.com/product-information/what-is-like-new

allend

Premium Subscriber
None of the recent Amazon purchasers have been complaining about receiving junk/refurb scanners, so you might want to lay off the conspiracy kool-aid a bit.

You would be surprised what people have reported on getting used radios when they purchased new radios. It could be a quality control issue with Amazon which could be a mistake, but Amazon tends to always fix the problem since its no sweat off of their butt. They are worth billions.

Another reason they could be selling these radios in bulk at lower prices is because they are way over priced anyways. Actually these radios could be mass produced pennies on the dollar. So to drop these radios 50 to 100 bucks is nothing to Uniden and creates cash flow to keep the industry moving along. Can't sit on thousands of radio sitting in shipping containers and make profits.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've seen a few reports over the last few years, but nothing so support your accusation of used/refurbished radios being dumped as new on a widespread scale. BTW, I've been an Amazon customer for about 15 years, and have hundreds of orders in my history.

And your claim that Uniden could profitably sell an x36 for $50-100 is delusional. Yes they have a profit margin, but it's way closer to 20% than 200%.

Status
Not open for further replies.