BCD436HP Goes Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyrea21

Just got the scanner and ran it with new batteries for around one hour. Suddenly I heard a click and the unit shut off in mid scan. Would not turn back on. Replaced batteries, reloaded SD card with clean info after deleting old data. Updated everything. Put SD card back in unit. It turned back on and ran again for about 45 minutes then again during scanning, the unit shut off with a click sound. Tried same things as before, but not will not turn back on again. Will be shipping back for refund on Monday. Has this happened to anyone else?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Welcome to Radioreference and sorry to hear that! It sounds like you got a bad one. Hopefully, you will get a replacement quickly.

I assume you tried powering it using the USB cable also in a computer USB port or external AD adapter to 5V DC? Were the batteries the included set?

Let us know how you make out with the return and replacement 436.

kyrea21

Used 6 new AA batteries on the unit. Tried cord hook to computer, but nothing the second time. Would not turn on. Sounded a short pop when it died. May be something on the board. Thanks for the question though.

Linn

Did the auto shut off feature get turned on some how? One of the settings is 45 minutes.

kc2kth

I'd recommend getting another unit instead of a refund as the vast majority of folks here, myself included, are happy with the 436/536 units. Sounds like you may have just been unlucky and pulled a dud out of the lot. I was highly critical of my 436 at first, and I stand by my level of criticism, but I'm now right at home with the scanner and the Sentinel software. I was thinking about this earlier today actually, Uniden has really gotten it together with this model. No more serial ports that we have to find adapters to connect to modern hardware, programming is far more simple than it was in the early days of trunking scanners, and an entire US database that can be searched for activity in your local area at any time - much easier to find something than the old method of setting search ranges and hoping.

kyrea21

I just sent for an exchange. I will give it another try. It sounds like sometime was wrong with the electrics. The salesman tried to get me to have them program and optimise it for sixty dollars, but this scanner does it by itself. Hopefully the next one will work. Thanks for the help.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I just sent for an exchange. I will give it another try. It sounds like sometime was wrong with the electrics. The salesman tried to get me to have them program and optimise it for sixty dollars, but this scanner does it by itself. Hopefully the next one will work. Thanks for the help.

Actually, I think they should have programmed and optimized the replacement radio for all your trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.