BCD436HP GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4TF

I connected the Uniden GPS puck to my BCD436HP. I noticed I don't see the little GPS icon in the bottom of the scanner. So as a test, since I'm in the Miami area, I disconnected the GPS, manually entered the zip for Orlando (obviously out of range), then plugged in the GPS in the hopes it'll re-adjust to my location. Nothing happened. I confirmed I am at 4800baud, and the red light on the GPS unit is flashing as it should. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

marksmith

Try rebooting the radio while the active GPS is running. For whatever reason, it is not detecting the GPS, even though it appears to be powered and tracking.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

W4TF

Thanks, but no luck [emoji17]

marksmith

Puck sounds like it is operating normally. Since radio cannot detect, it must either be adapter connection or the connection at radio between cable and radio.

marksmith

Also, I have noticed there can be a delay between connection and radio detection, whether this is satellite connection time or what.

I presume you gave it a few minutes to detect once plugged in, as it is not always instantaneous.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Double-check the baud rate setting is on 4800. If you don't get the GPS indicator on the screen within a second or two, either the GPS puck is defective, one of the connectors isn't plugged in all the way, or one of the cables is bad.

Something to consider: I install internal GPS modules in Uniden scanners, including the 436, for $75 + return shipping. It's about the same price as a new Uniden puck, eliminates the need for a bunch of external wiring, and I do thorough testing to make sure it all works before returning the scanner to the customer. PM me if that interests you.

W4TF

Double-check the baud rate setting is on 4800. If you don't get the GPS indicator on the screen within a second or two, either the GPS puck is defective, one of the connectors isn't plugged in all the way, or one of the cables is bad.

Something to consider: I install internal GPS modules in Uniden scanners, including the 436, for $75 + return shipping. It's about the same price as a new Uniden puck, eliminates the need for a bunch of external wiring, and I do thorough testing to make sure it all works before returning the scanner to the customer. PM me if that interests you.
I have a strong feeling we will be doing business very soon [emoji106]

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly, a solid red light on the puck means it is getting power and is attempted to receive satellites. Once it begins receiving satellite data the puck red light begins to blink.

So I agree with the suspicions that it's a bad cable or bad connections. I'm presuming you are using the correct cable from the RS 232 and plugging it into the top GPS connector, versus some other kind of cable from the RS 232 to the bottom USB connector.

W4TF

If I remember correctly, a solid red light on the puck means it is getting power and is attempted to receive satellites. Once it begins receiving satellite data the puck red light begins to blink.

So I agree with the suspicions that it's a bad cable or bad connections. I'm presuming you are using the correct cable from the RS 232 and plugging it into the top GPS connector, versus some other kind of cable from the RS 232 to the bottom USB connector.
Correct. All of the required cables came in the package. I'm going to try the unit of my 396XT tomorrow for any signs of life just to rule out the radio from being the issue. In which case, in sending this GPS unit back.

W4TF

Problem fixed. I took everything apart and examined it all closely. Turns out one of the pins from the GPS connector was slightly bent. Straitened it out and now we're in business. Thank you everyone for the troubleshooting help.

Poonwart

eMap

I dug out my old Garmin eMap GPS and had it attached to the 436 in no time using the serial cable that came with my 396xt, a null modem adapter and the eMap serial cable.

Attachments

• eMap.jpg
    eMap.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,116

tomas4569

Premium Subscriber
GPS

I dug out my old Garmin eMap GPS and had it attached to the 436 in no time using the serial cable that came with my 396xt, a null modem adapter and the eMap serial cable.

What settings did you use to make that work?

15plus1

I did pretty much the same thing. Used a Garmin GPS III plus and a BC 436, and then HP-2. It saved me $90 or so for puck and cable !

Poonwart

What settings did you use to make that work?

Here is a great reference guide for the scanner:
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Specifically this section for GPS use:
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

I have connected my scanners to the Garmin eMap but have not had the opportunity to test the GPS capabilities on a road trip.

I had to use a null modem connector between my Garmin cable and the Uniden serial cable. See pictures.

Included picture of GPS connected to 396XT.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 523
  • FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 521
  • FullSizeRender5.jpg
    FullSizeRender5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 527
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 551
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
    FullSizeRender3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 542

Nasby

Very cool! Let us know how it works. This could save everyone some $.

Status
Not open for further replies.