BCD436HP/BCD536HP: bcd436hp help with error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
I’ve got an read error message on my 436 and don’t know what to do. Any ideas how to correct? This is what it reads.

city data table
read error
please check
citytable_v1_00_00_dat
in card

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The file location is C:\ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinel\BuiltIn
Perhaps the file is corrupted or missing.

This is what I would do. This will not affect your profiles or favorites as those are stored in other folders.
1. Exit Sentinel
2. Delete the C:\ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinel folder
3. Restart Sentinel. You should see a message "Reconstructing Full Database"

After that, Sentinel will work normally.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for trying but I can’t find anything like this.
C:\ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinel folder
I can’t turn the scanner off, it keeps coming back with the error.
Im afraid to pull the batteries with it on.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I had it installed before this happened. Should I delete it and reinstall?
No, leave Sentinel installed for now.
Try plugging your 436 in with its USB cable and select Mass Storage Mode if it asks you. With that file missing, it may go straight into Mass Storage Mode.
Look at the folder under whatever drive letter windows assigns your SD card after a few seconds.
There will be a sub-folder under the BCDx36HP folder named "firmware". The file your 436 is complaining about should be in that folder and also in the folder that ProScan mentioned. It sounds like your SD card may be corrupt along with the file it is looking for.

Try reading your 436 into Sentinel. Once the read is done, you should be able to do the Clear User Data option from Sentinel's Scanner menu.
Once that is done, you should be able to Write to Scanner and get your favorites back into your 436. I think the Clear User Data may recreate the missing or corrupt file.

If that does not work, then a reinstall of Sentinel may fix things if files are missing from your hard drive.

Once you are back running, I'd get out to a WalMart or something and get yourself a new SD card of 32 GB or smaller and use Sentinel to prepare that card. Your existing card may be failing.

Word of warning, if Sentinel will not read your SD card, you may lose favorites. If the favorites are already in Sentinel, you will still be able to write those to your scanner but any changes you may have made using the scanners keys and menus since you last read it into Sentinel may be lost.

Edit: If you get a message to check your drive for errors after you plug in the USB cable, tell it Yes. If it says it fixed something, try rebooting your 436 again and see if the error cleared.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
No, leave Sentinel installed for now.
Try plugging your 436 in with its USB cable and select Mass Storage Mode if it asks you. With that file missing, it may go straight into Mass Storage Mode.
Look at the folder under whatever drive letter windows assigns your SD card after a few seconds.
There will be a sub-folder under the BCDx36HP folder named "firmware". The file your 436 is complaining about should be in that folder and also in the folder that ProScan mentioned. It sounds like your SD card may be corrupt along with the file it is looking for.

Try reading your 436 into Sentinel. Once the read is done, you should be able to do the Clear User Data option from Sentinel's Scanner menu.
Once that is done, you should be able to Write to Scanner and get your favorites back into your 436. I think the Clear User Data may recreate the missing or corrupt file.

If that does not work, then a reinstall of Sentinel may fix things if files are missing from your hard drive.

Once you are back running, I'd get out to a WalMart or something and get yourself a new SD card of 32 GB or smaller and use Sentinel to prepare that card. Your existing card may be failing.

Word of warning, if Sentinel will not read your SD card, you may lose favorites. If the favorites are already in Sentinel, you will still be able to write those to your scanner but any changes you may have made using the scanners keys and menus since you last read it into Sentinel may be lost.

Edit: If you get a message to check your drive for errors after you plug in the USB cable, tell it Yes. If it says it fixed something, try rebooting your 436 again and see if the error cleared.
When I plug in the usb cable it comes up usb mass storage. That’s it. No buttons work, nothing. If I unplug the usb cable it lists a file but no locatio, trys to load then returns to error screen.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
When I plug in the usb cable it comes up usb mass storage. That’s it. No buttons work, nothing. If I unplug the usb cable it lists a file but no locatio, trys to load then returns to error screen.
Should I delete that file out of Sentinel? I don’t care about losing any favorites.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
No, don't delete anything yet!

That's normal that no buttons work once it goes into mass storage mode.
Holding the power button will probably still reboot it but that's the only key that should work at this point.

Once it's in mass storage mode for maybe 10 seconds or so, try reading the scanner from Sentinel.

If that works, then do the Clear User Data. Once that is done. Using Sentinel again, do a Write to Scanner.
When that is done, hold the power button in until the scanner starts to reboot. If all works correctly, it should be back to normal again.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That worked as you said, but now I have: Scan Mode. Nothing to scan.
Did you write your scanner after doing the clear user data?
If so, check and make sure any quick keys you use are on plus make sure the service types are enabled.

It's possible the read from scanner wiped out your favorite list. You did say you didn't care if you lost it but hopefully it was all saved!

I'd still take the advice and get a spare SD card and basically follow these same steps to get it setup in case this happens again!

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
Yes wrote to scanner after clear data. As far as I know there’s no quick keys setup. I had 3 favorites but only using one. That’s the one it kept trying to load. Like I said I don’t care about the favorites just don’t want to lose the database, usa, canada.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'd bet one or more of your favorite files were corrupt as well so when you did the read from scanner before clearing user data, Sentinel probably just cleared any favorites data if the files were corrupt.
You should be able to see the favorites with Sentinel now if they are still there.
You can either get rid of them or edit each one and assign quick keys so they work again.

The main database and all that is restored now but do use Sentinel and do a Update Master Database. That will make sure your database in Sentinel is the most current.

With that, you should be good to go again.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
When I look on the 436 I find no favorites at all. Sintenal still shows my 3.
Update master database was good.
Manage full database shows nothing.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
When I look on the 436 I find no favorites at all. Sintenal still shows my 3.
Update master database was good.
Manage full database shows nothing.

Make sure the full database is set to On in the Select Lists to Monitor item.
You will probably also need to enter your location again using the same method as you did before. Probably used your zip code or did an Auto Locate.

If you can see the favorites in Sentinel, you can right click on one in Sentinel and select Program Favorite List. That's where you go to assign a quick key to a favorite.
If you did not use quick keys before though, you may just be able to select them in the same Select Lists to Monitor menu.
I'm not real sure on that though as I've always used favorite lists.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd try reformatting the SD card using SD Formatter, then use Sentinel to do a Clear User Data followed by a Write to Scanner.

If that does not help, it's possible the SD card needs replacement. They are like car tires and have to be replaced due to wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.