BCD436HP: how to go directly to a channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have never been able to get this feature to work.

Most of my systems have a Favorite List of 1. The primary trunked system I monitor has a Favorite Quick Key of 1. The dispatch channel has a Number Tag of 1. So, if I understand correctly, I should be able to go directly to the above mentioned dispatch channel by pressing:

CHAN 1.1.1 CHAN

However when I do this, I see:
CH Number Tag
is not Stored
Press Any Key

Yes, it is stored. I have verified this via the Sentinel Software, as well as the Butel ARC436 software. In fact, no matter what three sets of numbers I enter, I get the same message. In fact, the Butel software even gives you a list of the "Shortcuts" for each particular system, but no matter which of these shortcuts I enter, I get the "is not stored" message.

Each of my systems is assigned a sequential numbered Quick Key, and each channel/talkgroup is assigned a sequential Number Tag.

This must be a simple matter of my doing something wrong, but I cannot figure it out.

mitbr

I have never been able to get this feature to work.

Most of my systems have a Favorite List of 1. The primary trunked system I monitor has a Favorite Quick Key of 1. The dispatch channel has a Number Tag of 1. So, if I understand correctly, I should be able to go directly to the above mentioned dispatch channel by pressing:

CHAN 1.1.1 CHAN

However when I do this, I see:
CH Number Tag
is not Stored
Press Any Key

Yes, it is stored. I have verified this via the Sentinel Software, as well as the Butel ARC436 software. In fact, no matter what three sets of numbers I enter, I get the same message. In fact, the Butel software even gives you a list of the "Shortcuts" for each particular system, but no matter which of these shortcuts I enter, I get the "is not stored" message.

Each of my systems is assigned a sequential numbered Quick Key, and each channel/talkgroup is assigned a sequential Number Tag.

This must be a simple matter of my doing something wrong, but I cannot figure it out.
If you haven't already make sure you are in channel hold mode before hitting channel.........
Tim

ChrisABQ

The way I have mine set up for Albuqueurque/Bernalillo Counties EDACS system is this.

Favorite 1: The name I named the list as ABQ-BERN

Quick Key 1 (System Key): The directory that was downloaded from RRDB.

Quick Key 1 (Department Keys): APD
Quick Key 2 (Department Keys): AFD
Quick Key 2 (Department Keys): BCSO
Quick Key 2 (Department Keys): BCFD

I turn them on and of as this:
1.1.1 on/off
1.1.2 on/off
and so on.

I hope this helps

mitbr

Yes; pressing "CHAN" the first time is what puts it in channel hold mode.

Sorry i just saw that in your first post....... even though you checked Sentinel check in the scanner to make sure the number sequence is there. Make sure select lists to monitor in the scanner is set for your favorites list.

mitbr

ok I just tried this in my 436..... if you are already in the favorites list on the channel hold hit .. then the channel tag number you only hit the previous numbers if you are on a different favorites list and system than you currently are on. So if you are on fav 1 syst 1 then you hit no no1 chan

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you set the Number Tags for both the Favorites List and the System?

(It's kind of easy to confuse Favorites List/System Quick Keys with Favorites List/System Number Tags at first).

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
ok I just tried this in my 436..... if you are already in the favorites list on the channel hold hit .. then the channel tag number you only hit the previous numbers if you are on a different favorites list and system than you currently are on. So if you are on fav 1 syst 1 then you hit no no1 chan

This seems to work as long as the channel I want to go to is in the same Favorites List that I'm holding in. If I'm holding on a different Favorites List, and I enter the Favorite List number as the first number, I get the error message.

Also, if you don't need to enter a Favorites List number, it looks like you need to enter a leading decimal point before the system number, or it won't work.

EDIT: Please disregard; I solved the problem; thanks for the replies. (I had no Quick Key assigned to my Favorites Lists.)

Last edited:

mitbr

This seems to work as long as the channel I want to go to is in the same Favorites List that I'm holding in. If I'm holding on a different Favorites List, and I enter the Favorite List number as the first number, I get the error message.

Also, if you don't need to enter a Favorites List number, it looks like you need to enter a leading decimal point before the system number, or it won't work.

EDIT: Please disregard; I solved the problem; thanks for the replies. (I had no Quick Key assigned to my Favorites Lists.)

If two Favorites Lists have the same number tag, they will be selected in sequence
Tim

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
"Jumping" to a channel is pretty basic. The desired channel has to be assigned an "address" which consists of three parts.

Favorites List Number Tag . System Number Tag . Channel Number Tag

To stop scanning and prepare to "jump" press Channel.
Enter the channel's address (FFNT.SNT.CNT)
Press Channel to complete the process.

I use the same number for a Favorites List Number Tag as I do for the Favorites List Quick Key. The same System Number Tag as the System Quick Key. (It's easeir for me to remember that way).

So for example I'll have Favorites List Qucik Key 1 set as Number Tag 1. System Quick Key 0 is System Number Tag 0. Channel Number is 5. So I press:

Channel
Channel

This works regardless of what Favorites List I'm scanning (several are scanned at one time), or even if the FLQK happens to be Off.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
ofd8001, your explanation was very helpful. Apparently my issue all along was not having number tags assigned, and/or confusing quick keys with number tags. To keep things simple, I have assigned my number tags the same numbers as the system quick keys, wherever applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.