BCD436HP-How to know your radio is receiving a TRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

This issue has briefly been touched upon in other threads but it seems there is no way to tell whether the x36 radios are picking up a trunked system and properly decoding control channel other than the DAT that stays lit for P25 systems only. The only thing I notice (and maybe I'm imagining things) is that
it may hold on that system longer if it is picking it up. What it needs is for DAT to stay lit when receiving any type of trunked system including EDACS and Motorola Tyoe I and II, some other icon akin to GRE's flashing "T" when locking on a control channel, or better yet display the control channel frequency.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
You will also get the Signal Strength Bars at the top right next to the date and time to tell you if it's receiving a CC and how strong. But yeah, it would be nice to have the system info we used to have when holding a control channel like Site #, WACN, etc. or something more.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have both the 436 and 536HP and I can't even get the "Data" indicator to remain on while monitoring the control channel of Los Angeles ICIS P25 (Pasadena site) This is a Project P25 Phase I system. The "Data" indicator stays on for a couple of seconds after a voice transmission, then it goes out. The system is strong, P25 decoding is great, and the LNK and P25 indicators are fine. Thought maybe if I take out non-control channels, maybe the "data" would stay on. No. Then, thought I will extract all but the primary control channel. Even with the one control channel, no "data" indicator, but P25 working great with constant traffic.
I like many of the features of these new radios, but I too like to have the control channel information. I have no idea how to find the Sys ID or WACN on any of the trunk sites in LA/Orange County with these new radios. (OK, I know they are here in RR database, but that's not the point). That's a piece of cake with the 996XT. Also, I dearly miss the control channel output. Hey, some of us want to play with Unitrunker.
Hope the "advanced features" come out soon and there is "raw data output" as on the HP1.

Steve AA6IO

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
And yet even MORE popular features from former Uniden scanners that Uniden decided to remove.

Great.

ems170

Feed Provider
I agree "Finding Control Channel" was a great indicator of out of range. I was actually hoping an audible alert could be assigned to an out of range indication.. seems to be a step back..

troymail

Silent Key
You will also get the Signal Strength Bars at the top right next to the date and time to tell you if it's receiving a CC and how strong. But yeah, it would be nice to have the system info we used to have when holding a control channel like Site #, WACN, etc. or something more.

The bars only tell me it's receiving "something" - not a clear indication that there is a lock on the CC.

Make sure you have the three-line display mode turned off. When holding on a channel you should see "DAT" (at least on the 536). I shared a video on the Colorado forum for those who are interested:

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...-admins-expecting-bcd536hp-2.html#post2119016

BCD536HP Adams County Simulcast Reception - YouTube

We're looking for an indication it's finding a CC while scanning...

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I agree "Finding Control Channel" was a great indicator of out of range. I was actually hoping an audible alert could be assigned to an out of range indication.. seems to be a step back..

It's not the same animal but on my BCT15X I will often just plug in the control channel of a TRS before I bother going through the trouble of programming the entire system. If the CC comes in very poorly that's my que to not bother with it unless I change my situation.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are scanning a trunked system with no channels active, you should see some bars on the signal strength meter and the words "ID Scanning". When it is scanning you'll see "Scanning". That should help differentiating whether a trunked system or conventional system is being scanned.

When the scanner stops, you'll see a TGID number displayed, so that indicates it is a trunked system.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Yes you could that. But I found another temporary solution. If you hold on a talkgroup in the system youre trying to decode, you will see in small print the site that has the best reception underneath the department name, and above the channel name. If youre not receiving any sites, that tag will just keep displaying all the sites one by one until it locks on one. So for trying to decode cc's on distant sites, assign that site a quick key. Then toggle on that site ONLY by using the quick keys FL.SYSQK.SITEQK. Then, hold on a talkgroup. Is it displaying the desired sight? Then your scanner is decoding that cc. Is it switching back and forth between sites? It is not decoding. Heres the catch. If the system you are trying to monitor has only one site (as in set of frequencies) you are going to have to make up another site, otherwise that tag will display your only system site regardless of whether o or not you are actually receiving a control channel. So just label the second site "test" or something and make up a frequency you know will be empty. And then it should work. I think I just outsmarted the radio!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.