BCD436HP in Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I finally got my radio! As I stated in another thread, I'm not quite ready to post a video yet, but this scanner is working GREAT on the RWC. It is having some decoding issues on simulcast A and B at my location but it's a vast improvement to previous scanners on this system. I've got it locked onto Simulcast F and it's working flawlessly here near 32nd street and baseline. I'm very impressed and happy with this scanner. If you're on the fence as to whether or not to get one, I can say I highly recommend this scanner for monitoring the RWC. You won't be disappointed. GREAT WORK UNIDEN!!

More to come...

-AZ

mm

if you have issues with A and B then it isn't working any better than old models, obviously Uniden is not using IQ but most likely the same FM discriminator tap and maybe some changes to the DSP code which is not working. If you can make a video of every simulcast site while driving around with multiple antennas, gonna have to do 2 or 3 videos, and there is no distortion then I'll be convinced. My 400 dollar XTS5000 works flawlessly with the short internal 1/4 wave duck or a 1/4 wave connected to the XTS convertacom while listening to any site in the valley while driving or walking around and even to white tanks from my Prescott house.

Yes a 400 dollar XTS5000, dumpster diving and Panter88 are both great ways to find good XTS radios.

Last edited:

Astrak

An XTS or even better an APX are the way to go if you know how to program them and can purchase the software..............but for the average person any scanner that can get close to what the Moto can do would be interested in hearing how the new Uniden performs.

mancow

Database Admin
Glad to hear it's working for you. I hope they help with a majority of the simulcast systems out there. As for me I'm dead in the water. ZERO decode at a distance. Not a peep.

AZScanner

Yeah obviously this scanner isn't going to work as good as a Moto XTS radio, but out of all the various scanners I've heard on this system, this one has them all beat easily. Even on A or B you can still understand most of what is said - there's only a few cut outs here or there. Much better than my BC796D which has dropouts and garbled decodes with almost every transmission on this system regardless of what site is being monitored. It's not 100% perfect, but I'd say it's a solid 98% or better, whereas my 796 is maybe 60% reliable on this system. I'll post a side by side comparison of the two scanners soon.

I have noticed that it appears to not be as sensitive as my 796. I can pull in the airport's IR site on my 796D from my living room, but the 436 isn't picking it up from here. If I go outside on my patio, it is able to pull in the Sky Harbor site. Not a showstopper for me, but just something to be aware of.

-AZ

kb7kfc

Premium Subscriber
I got my BCD436 Thursday but just now got to play with it did all the updates and did the zip code finder untill i can set down and go over the software. Iv had it on for about 30 min now The county system sounds really good i use to not get the down town site now i hear it just fine and no more data burst on that system ether.
The Simulcast system sounds great i have not heard any hick ups on it yet I have Simulcast C F H no issues yet. The Mesa system sounds great i use to not receave it. Just a quick up date iv only been scanning for about 30min now and my location is South Chandler near Sun Lakes.

AZScanner

I'm sure many of you have noticed I've been super quiet lately. I am literally IMMERSED in this radio. There is so much to learn and I keep discovering new capabilities of this radio every day. I absolutely love this thing - best scanner I have ever, EVER used.

A correction on my earlier assessment - I thought I wasn't pulling in the Sky Harbor IR from my house due to sensitivity, but the real reason was that the talkgroups were tagged with a service type that I had set to "Avoid". Once I fixed that, they came in loud and clear.

I'll try to put a video review together this weekend. I'm going to need that long to learn this thing inside and out. :)

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.