BCD436HP: is it really worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glidehog

Premium Subscriber
I love this scanner.. got it last Saturday and don't think I've turned out of yet

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

ButchGone

Yep, definitely worth it. There is a learning curve and i'm discovering new things as i go. When i first got it, it worked much better than the 396xt on decoding a simulcast P25 phase 1/2 system. That was with the digital decode settings at default. I now have P25 set to manual, 7 and it got even better. i hear things in places while driving that i didn't hear with previous scanners. that alone is worth the price of admission.
BG..

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yep, definitely worth it. There is a learning curve and i'm discovering new things as i go. When i first got it, it worked much better than the 396xt on decoding a simulcast P25 phase 1/2 system. That was with the digital decode settings at default. I now have P25 set to manual, 7 and it got even better. i hear things in places while driving that i didn't hear with previous scanners. that alone is worth the price of admission.
BG..

I just bought a 436hp today and its okay. I have a base unit 536hp and love it. Built to last.

One thing about the 436hp is that it feels like cheap plastic. Not sure if they just wanted a lightweight version or what. The buttons are really nice. The stock antenna I had to upgrade to get better reception. So I noticed that you can run the radio on the usb cord which is nice.

But comparing the 436 to the 536 is like apples to oranges. Its a nice portable all band for quick portable use. Not sure if I will keep it or ship it back. Maybe I will learn to love it. I think it gets a 7 out of 10.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
pepsima1
You and I live pretty much in the same area. I also have the 536HP and 436HP. I also questioned my purchase of of the 436HP (about 1 week after 536HP) at first, but found over a period of a week or two, it really is a very good scanner for this area. One of the nice things is that you basically program Sentinel or Butel for the 536HP, and you're good to go with the 436HP. I also love the record feature on the 436HP, as on the 536HP.
Now that we have been through the tweaking process for OCCS P25, I find the 436HP is much better overall than my 396XT for digital on OCCS, and that it even sometimes is better than my PRO-106. For all other P25 (LAPD, ICIS, LA Cities P25 channels, and even some P25 out of Simi Valley) in our area, works great, without any decoding issues whatsoever for me. Use the 436HP in the car quite a bit, and seems to work well. 7 out of 10 is not bad, and I think you will probably learn to love it even a bit more. But of course YMMV and we each have our preferences.
Steve AA6IO in Cerritos

markjrenna

It is worth it if you need a portable that has support for re-banded frequencies and need digital. My 780XLT works great for my EDACS and stationary needs and the BCD436HP is perfect for my mobile and digital needs. It is worth it for me.

I do want to get a better antenna though...

SCPD

QRT
I just bought a 436hp today and its okay. I have a base unit 536hp and love it. Built to last.

One thing about the 436hp is that it feels like cheap plastic. Not sure if they just wanted a lightweight version or what. The buttons are really nice. The stock antenna I had to upgrade to get better reception. So I noticed that you can run the radio on the usb cord which is nice.

But comparing the 436 to the 536 is like apples to oranges. Its a nice portable all band for quick portable use. Not sure if I will keep it or ship it back. Maybe I will learn to love it. I think it gets a 7 out of 10.

Pepsima? It looks like a great quality scanner!

Can't wait to spend some quality time with it when I get my hands on one.

And has anyone tried a drop test?

because I do not want to drop it and have it in a number of pieces....

KA2ZEY

If you already have a BCD396XT, Home Patrol or PSR-800 then no, not worth it. It's just a repackaging of those scanners. If you don't then yes. If this scanner had some more interesting features like DMR and NXDN decode, SDR like control then it would be worth it no matter which scanner you have.

rolesen

KA2ZEY - Your view is contrary to the opinions of others who have owned the 396XT nd PSR-800. Did you also own and use the 396XT or PSR-800? If so, did you return your 436?

rolesen

I also own a 396XT. My thinking is the change in circuitry along with the additonal P25 Phase 2 along with user reports that simulcast reception has imporved, is worth the "upgrade". The new bells & whistles are just a bonus.

KA2ZEY

I also own a 396XT. My thinking is the change in circuitry along with the additonal P25 Phase 2 along with user reports that simulcast reception has imporved, is worth the "upgrade". The new bells & whistles are just a bonus.

I hear what you're saying. I'm very happy with my 396XT and how I have it organized. I think if the 436 had DMR and NXDN decode, which a lot of private users have switched to, I would hit the 'buy now' button in second. The addition of Phase 2 just isn't enough right now.

And is the reception better now? I've heard mixed reports.

rolesen

I agree with you. Particularly if you do not have P2 in your area, or any systems plans to change to P2, the purchase may be a reach. There have been some mixed reports on reception. I am hoping most reports are really comparative and not just "I think it tracks or sounds better" to justify the purchase.

lep

The display on the 436 is "About" [I have not measured it] twice the size of the LCD display on the 396 if that is of any significance to those thinking about a purchase

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
The display on the 436 is "About" [I have not measured it] twice the size of the LCD display on the 396 if that is of any significance to those thinking about a purchase

It may be almost twice the size of the 396 display, but in my opinion it isn't necessarily better. The small font size makes it hard to see unless one is "straight on" in front of the thing. Off to the side even a little? Forget about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
If you already have a BCD396XT, Home Patrol or PSR-800 then no, not worth it. It's just a repackaging of those scanners. If you don't then yes. If this scanner had some more interesting features like DMR and NXDN decode, SDR like control then it would be worth it no matter which scanner you have.

No, it's not just a repackaging of those scanners. The x36 models do ph2 and only the 800 does of the three listed. They also look nothing like any of them other than they all look like handheld/base. Both 536 and 436 record transmissions and only the home patrol does of the three listed. Repackaging is what Whistler is doing right now with GRE. No additional features. Definitely NOT what's going on with the new x36 models.

Status
Not open for further replies.