BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Bcd436hp Is there anyway that I can have the batteries not charge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyway that I cannot I don't want to charge my battery so just want to have them in and have the scanner on is that possible ?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The batteries will never charge when it is on, only when it is off. And when it is off you have to manually tell it to charge.

joeuser

The Wretched
Just press the NO button when it asks you if you want to charge the batteries. If it doesn't ask you if you want to charge the batteries, its not.

Welcome to the USA

joeuser

The Wretched
Wait, I think I broke the code!

Just because the batteries are in your scanner doesn't mean they are charging. You must tell it to charge them when & only when the unit is off

kb8rvp

BCD436HP Bcd436hp Is there anyway that I can have the batteries not charge?

Not sure if you picked up on what the others were saying or not. When you have the scanner turned off and you plug in the power it shows on the screen:

Battery Charge
Start Charging?
Yes="E" / No="."

So it is asking you if you want to charge the batteries. If the scanner is on it will never charge the batteries as it only charges them when the scanner is turned off if you select yes, if you say no it won't. If you plug in the power when the scanner is on it will not charge the batteries it will just power the scanner. It will ask if you want to Select USB mode and you can press no if you just want to scan.When you turn off the scanner with the power plugged in it will then ask if you want to charge the batteries yes or no you can just say no and it won't charge.

Mike

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
It'd be a whole lot easier if scanner manufacturers would just leave out the whole 'charge the batteries in the radio' deal. Kind of like the BC346XTC but extended to all models / brands.

:)

CaptWill

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't have a Home Patrol, but if/when I do buy one, I hope they improve the charging system such that the batteries will charge if they are below a preset(adjustable) threshold, any time the scanner is plugged in, and whether on or off. I do not believe that the battery cover and batteries should be removed, installed, removed, installed so many times, over the life of the scanner.

I have a Radio Shack Pro-96 and just got a Pro106, and the batteries charge in the radio, as they should. I have never had to remove them from the scanner for years.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
powering the scanner from AC, and a curious question re, the "serial mode".

Not sure if you picked up on what the others were saying or not. When you have the scanner turned off and you plug in the power it shows on the screen:

Battery Charge
Start Charging?
Yes="E" / No="."

So it is asking you if you want to charge the batteries. If the scanner is on it will never charge the batteries as it only charges them when the scanner is turned off if you select yes, if you say no it won't. If you plug in the power when the scanner is on it will not charge the batteries it will just power the scanner. It will ask if you want to Select USB mode and you can press no if you just want to scan.When you turn off the scanner with the power plugged in it will then ask if you want to charge the batteries yes or no you can just say no and it won't charge.

Mike

I`ve been wondering about this too, if i read this right, if i want to just power the scanner off the AC, i just plug it in and when it asks if i want to go into USB mode (which my `436HP does when i plug it in) i press the . NO key and it`ll scan? Also a kinda curious question that`s related to this, just what is the "serial mode" supposed to be used for anyway? Is that for powering the scanner from the AC outlet or mabey hooking it up to a PC via a serial port or something? Thanx! N9NRA

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Yes, just hit no and let it sit. Serial mode is for remote control and similar uses.

Okay groovy :). Hmmm, mabey Uniden will give us a way to remote the `436HP, that would be kinda cool, oh well...we can dream :). Thanx! N9NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.