BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP low receive rate

mengels

Premium Subscriber
I'm following up on the GPS issue with a question or two of my own. I hooked everything up, all cords in place-power, serial, etc.; GPS baud rate is set per directions. There was not much to go on in the manual other than this.

My understanding from another post is that if it switches to GPS use-the GPS marker will show in lower right corner-I am not seeing that. Is there more that needs to be done to get it switched to GPS mode?

mengels

Premium Subscriber
Hello-

I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to scanners, and got a BCD436HP 9 months ago. I added a better broad spectrum antenna and Provoice/DMR keys (for some specific systems) and keep it set up with most service types on when testing. I live in a major metropolitan area and have plenty of unencrypted agencies around me. Having said all this, I've experienced relatively low rate of transmissions (even compared to an SC30 with less frequency range. Any thoughts of how I can tweak this to get better reception? I just read about thinks like modifying the APCO decode error rate and such, sounds like some tweaks like that could make things better(?).

I've searched the forums and couldn't find a thread that covered this issue, if it exists please let me know.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
I'm following up on the GPS issue with a question or two of my own. I hooked everything up, all cords in place-power, serial, etc.; GPS baud rate is set per directions. There was not much to go on in the manual other than this.

My understanding from another post is that if it switches to GPS use-the GPS marker will show in lower right corner-I am not seeing that. Is there more that needs to be done to get it switched to GPS mode?
What is the current baud rate set? I think you had to either go up or down to get the correct baud rate setting. There was a small change made and I don't think it was truly documented the same between the GPS unit's instructions and the scanner.

mengels

Premium Subscriber
Mostly trunked. But I've got a large, heavily used cargo airport nearby and get few transmissions from it-get more from ATC center and airports further out. I've got everything enabled and have played with zip and distance settings.

Just got a GPS antenna for driving around but it doesn't appear to be working-instructions were limited with it (I set the baud rate but no real other documentation I could find) but my understanding is that a GPS icon should appear in lower right of screen and I get none. Going on a trip next week so would really like that part to work, BTW.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
"I added a better broad spectrum antenna"....
This can be a blessing - or a curse.
The broader an antenna is, the worse it performs on any specific band.

What do you want to receive primarily?
If that would be 800MHz, then getr an 800MHz antenna.

mengels

Premium Subscriber
4800, I can't find the source now but think I found two-including a video from either manufacturer or BC warehouse.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Mostly trunked. But I've got a large, heavily used cargo airport nearby and get few transmissions from it-get more from ATC center and airports further out. I've got everything enabled and have played with zip and distance settings.

Just got a GPS antenna for driving around but it doesn't appear to be working-instructions were limited with it (I set the baud rate but no real other documentation I could find) but my understanding is that a GPS icon should appear in lower right of screen and I get none. Going on a trip next week so would really like that part to work, BTW.

Is it a GPS specific to the radio (look like one of these)?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMAJFUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did you set the baud rate to 4800?
Are you using the proper port (the upper small non/USB one)?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The gps is just that. It will tell the scanner where you are and will load full database and or favorites lists. If you get the gps icon, just select the service types of interest and then set the range to to something low. I use 0, 0.5 and sometimes 1 mile. Prior to any trips, I went in the full database and set all that Nationwide stuff to Avoid.

mengels

Premium Subscriber
Mostly 400's and 800's but at times I also like to listen to airport traffic-as with that industrial (not passenger) airport there's a huge variety of planes around-including commercial aggressor fighters (there on premise) and military passing through. Thus the broad spectrum. I've played with some other antennas including one when at home that I have wire and attach to window near highest point of house. It's better but still not much, which is leading me to believe some settings issues are at play.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Mostly trunked. But I've got a large, heavily used cargo airport nearby and get few transmissions from it
Could you provide Radioreference database links so we can get a picture of who operates where, if encryption & simulcast distortion may be a factor, etc? You'll need to ensure all applicable service types are turned on for the talkgroups & conventionals you want to hear (reference "tag" column per table in RR database

mengels

Premium Subscriber
The gps is just that. It will tell the scanner where you are and will load full database and or favorites lists. If you get the gps icon, just select the service types of interest and then set the range to to something low. I use 0, 0.5 and sometimes 1 mile. Prior to any trips, I went in the full database and set all that Nationwide stuff to Avoid.
Right, did all that but no GPS icon-is there another setting besides baud select that needs to be done or does it auto-detect GPS, I guess is the question.

mengels

Premium Subscriber

mengels

Premium Subscriber
Could you provide Radioreference database links so we can get a picture of who operates where, if encryption & simulcast distortion may be a factor, etc? You'll need to ensure all applicable service types are turned on for the talkgroups & conventionals you want to hear (reference "tag" column per table in RR database
It's a large, populous Texas county, I'm casting the RR programming wide open and any I'm not referring to encrypted frequencies. Being relatively new-I wasn't aware of Simulcast Distortion. That comment makes me think that there are some basic settings tweaks that I could make to improve my capture rates. Any thoughts?

Example is that with the 436 my capture rate on air frequencies is not even as good as for my SC30 which was 1/3 the price with all other things being equal (location, antenna type, etc.). I'm expecting some better performance and capture rates with the 436, primarily given its much wider frequency range.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I wasn't aware of Simulcast Distortion. That comment makes me think that there are some basic settings tweaks that I could make to improve my capture rates. Any thoughts?
Click on the words "simulcast distortion" in my posting above yours and you can try the mitigation methods mentioned in the wiki. They work in some cases but not others. It all boils down to your location in relation to two or more simulcasting towers. Again, it would help if you would provide the specific system you're listening to so we can get eyes on the database to determine if this is a likely factor for you

mengels

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tip, will try that for simulcast. Let me know any other quirky settings changes I can make to try and boost my reception.

This issue affects all the systems I could listen to-not that much reception/capture of items of all possible systems. The capture of airband from a different radio being as close of an example of apples to apples as I can get. I'm getting 3-4x the transmissions from one tower frequency a few miles away on an SC30. So I don't believe it's a system issue-it appears to be an equipment or settings issue.

mengels

Premium Subscriber
On the SC30-Comet Original BNC-W100RX, on the BCD436HP- thought it was an Anteena TW-999BNC but it is not, it's some model of Diamond, but unmarked checking to see which (got it as gift, they went off list...looking for packaging).

For window mount for both (have BNC adapter for the 436) - Bingfu BFN00064-which actually works pretty good.

Antenna upgrade suggestions for the 436 would be appreciated.

mengels

Premium Subscriber
Can't find the packaging for the Diamond, but I believe it must be an RH77CA which lists its range as 120-900 Mhz. Might explain some drop-off of the low airband items, but doesn't explain all the rest.

Another mentionable point-the 436, with said antenna, curated area frequency favorite lists on a trip last summer to DC/N Virginia area was only getting about one transmission every 3-5 minutes when all LE, Fire/Emergency, Military, Federal and air turned on. It was not much better than carrying around a brick. That made no sense to me and was another data point to consider. I got more transmission captures with the SC30 in the desolation of West Texas (earlier trip) than I did in DC with the 436.

tvengr

Well Known Member
That GPS appears to use the same receiver as the SDS200 gps which is 9600 baud. Scanner Master says to use 9600 on that model GPS: Make sure that the GPS Baud Rate on the scanner is set to 9600 Baud. The default rate on the scanner might be set to 4800, be sure you adjust it to 9600 when using this device.

Last edited: