BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP no longer picking up local frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstewart675

Just got my first scanner (Uniden 436HP) and was picking up all my local frequencies (pd, fire, etc.) and now not picking up any of them. What am I doing wrong?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
It's like asking my car doesn't run - what's wrong?
???????????????????

You need to give MUCH more information in order to get any help.
I see Bowling Green, so should we assume the issue is there?
What are you trying to listen to?
What did you change - if anything?
Did you have an electrical storm?
What antenna?
Does it pick up anything? (try the WX)
Etc...
Etc....

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you have Sentinel, free programming software provided by Uniden? You will need it for updating the firmware and database. Here is the link: BCDx36HPSentinel < UnidenMan4 < TWiki With Sentinel, you can also attach your favorites lists files so that we can check them for problems. Using Sentinel, update the database. The system may have changed since the last update.

Last edited:

pstewart675

It's like asking my car doesn't run - what's wrong?
???????????????????

You need to give MUCH more information in order to get any help.
I see Bowling Green, so should we assume the issue is there?
What are you trying to listen to?
What did you change - if anything?
Did you have an electrical storm?
What antenna?
Does it pick up anything? (try the WX)
Etc...
Etc....

I am in Bowling Green, KY. Trying to listen to local police, fire & EMS. When I first got the scanner and setup a favorites list, it was picking up all three well. It now picks up no frequencies from any of those agencies. I setup a new favorites list in sentinel and uploaded it onto the scanner but still not luck. No electrical issues, stock antenna that came with the scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you have a favorites list or scanning from database? If you have a favorites list, go to the File tab and Export to hpe file (Favorites List). You will need to right click on the exported file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder. We will be able to check the file for programming errors.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I am in Bowling Green, KY. Trying to listen to local police, fire & EMS. When I first got the scanner and setup a favorites list, it was picking up all three well. It now picks up no frequencies from any of those agencies. I setup a new favorites list in sentinel and uploaded it onto the scanner but still not luck. No electrical issues, stock antenna that came with the scanner.

Try checking the WX (NOAA weather channels) and report back.
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual (marksscanners.com)
This is always a good check to see if it receives anything - or is dead.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
sounds like something went haywire with your favorites. Suggest you load full database, use location base scanning by entering your zip code, the set distance to 10 miles. If your back to hearing your stations, then you will know the scanner is working fine and you need to reprogram your favorites.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Give this hpe favorites list file a try. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Go to the Tools tab in Sentinel and set the Target Model to BCDx36HP. Go to the File tab and Import from hpe file (Favorites List). Click on New Favorites List and name it Warren Co KY Click on OK. In the Downloads folder, highlight and Open the extracted file (Warren Co KY.hpe). It will appear as a favorites list in Sentinel. Go to the Edit tab and Edit Profile. Remove the check mark from Monitor Full Database. Click on the Scan Selection tab. Set Download and Monitor to On for the new favorites list (Warren Co KY). Set Download and Monitor to Off for any other existing favorites lists. Click on the X in the upper right corner of the page to close the profile editor. Go to the File tab and click on Save. Turn on the scanner and plug in the USB cable. Press E on the scanner to enter USB Mass Storage. Go to the Scanner tab in Sentinel and Write to Scanner. Your BCD436HP should appear in the dialog box. Under Write option, put a check mark in Erase Favorites Lists on Scanner. Click on OK. When writing to the scanner is complete, eject the scanner and remove the programming cable. Quick keys as follows:
FAVORITES LIST QUICK KEY:
0. Warren Co KY
SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
0. Warren Co KY
DEPARTMENT QUICK KEYS:
0. Warren Govt Svcs
1. Warren Interop
2. Warren Emerg Ops
3. Warren Fire
4. Warren EMS/Hosp
5. Warren Sheriff
6. Bowling Grn DPW
7. Bowling Grn Fire
8. Bowling Grn PD
9. Western KY Univ

Attachments

• Warren Co KY HPE.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 8

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
When you created the Favorite's List, sometimes sentinel software will turn off "Monitor" for that list by default. Go into your Favorite's list and turn "Monitor" back on if it is disabled.

tvengr

Well Known Member
When you created the Favorite's List, sometimes sentinel software will turn off "Monitor" for that list by default. Go into your Favorite's list and turn "Monitor" back on if it is disabled.
Download and Monitor are not in the favorites list. They are under the Scan Selection tab of the profile. Download and Monitor are turned on and off in the profile.

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Download and Monitor are not in the favorites list. They are under the Scan Selection tab of the profile. Download and Monitor are turned on and off in the profile.

If you right click on the System in the favorites list it can be toggled ON/OFF (See attachment)

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    140.6 KB · Views: 36

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you press the CHAN button, it will hold on a frequency or talkgroup that is currently active. You can also scroll through all of the frequencies or talkgroups that are programmed by rotating the SEL/VOL/SQ knob while you are holding.. You can turn departments on and off by using department/site quick keys. Refer to post #11 for the departments and quick key numbers. While scanning just the Warren Co KY favorites list, you can toggle a department on and off by pressing the decimal point button twice, followed by the department quick key number followed by E. The 436 displays only the favorite list and system quick key status in the upper left corner of the screen. Your file for Warren County uses only department quick key numbers 0 thru 9. To determine which department quick key numbers are currently enabled, press the decimal point button twice followed by 0. The bottom line will display the status of department quick key numbers 0 thru 9. Press AVOID to exit the quick key navigation menu. You must be scanning to change or view the quick key status. Note: if you press the decimal point button twice followed by 1, it will display the status of department/site quick keys 10 thru 19.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.