BCD436HP or SDS100 for San Diego/Imperial County RCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstephenson

I own a Uniden BCD436HP, but I've read that the SDS100 works better for simulcast systems. Can I get some input from users regarding how they compare for use specifically in the San Diego region? Much appreciated!

SDBud

I own a Uniden BCD436HP, but I've read that the SDS100 works better for simulcast systems. Can I get some input from users regarding how they compare for use specifically in the San Diego region? Much appreciated!

I have 2 996P2 radios, 1 for West and 1 for South, and they both work fine.

The ONLY person I've programmed a 325P2 for that hasn't been satisfied
is in Escondido, and THAT was because they went encrypted.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Steve,
Yes, the SDS100 does work better when decoding the simulcast. I have the SDS200 and it does work better when monitoring the RCS. You can also look at the Unication G4 or G5 pager for monitoring RCS, if all you want to monitor is RCS. Check out the forum at Unication Forum
I do not have one, yet, but have been thinking about getting one.

sstephenson

Steve,
Yes, the SDS100 does work better when decoding the simulcast. I have the SDS200 and it does work better when monitoring the RCS. You can also look at the Unication G4 or G5 pager for monitoring RCS, if all you want to monitor is RCS. Check out the forum at Unication Forum
I do not have one, yet, but have been thinking about getting one.
Thanks Celbaseman. Glad to hear that from someone local. I'll check out the G4/G5 also.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Just to add a quick note to that ...
The Scanner Guys @ thescannerguys.com are on YouTube every Wednesday at 5PM Pacific Time ...
They deal a lot with SDS 100 & 200 .... also question and answer period online with the live broadcast.
They had mentioned if you try limit yourself to the nearest tower site there should be NO Problem ...
It's when you get delayed signals from multi tower sites there is a problem.

UNLESS YOU USE THE SDS100/200 ... then it does all the work for you.

sstephenson

Just to add a quick note to that ...
The Scanner Guys @ thescannerguys.com are on YouTube every Wednesday at 5PM Pacific Time ...
They deal a lot with SDS 100 & 200 .... also question and answer period online with the live broadcast.
They had mentioned if you try limit yourself to the nearest tower site there should be NO Problem ...
It's when you get delayed signals from multi tower sites there is a problem.

UNLESS YOU USE THE SDS100/200 ... then it does all the work for you.
Thanks for that. Great to know. I'll have to check out that broadcast.

Mike_G_D

Thanks Celbaseman. Glad to hear that from someone local. I'll check out the G4/G5 also.
Something else to check out is this little beast: BlueTail Technlogies. For the money I personally think it is the best all around solution for listening to simulcast systems. It works extremely well on the RCS here in SD County.

It's not your traditional scanner but not nearly as involved or complex to setup and use as the usual SDR solution. It can run stand alone with no PC attached (with some form of external USB power) but currently lacks a display though the developer is working on one and he is extremely responsive to users comments, suggestions, issues, etc.

The audio on this thing blows everything else away that I have used.

Main discussion thread is here: Blue Tail Technologies - P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing.

It's a long thread but, as stated, the developer has really been working hard to improve the device since it first started sales. It does Phase 1 and 2 and handles simulcast very well.

-Mike

sstephenson

Something else to check out is this little beast: BlueTail Technlogies. For the money I personally think it is the best all around solution for listening to simulcast systems. It works extremely well on the RCS here in SD County.

It's not your traditional scanner but not nearly as involved or complex to setup and use as the usual SDR solution. It can run stand alone with no PC attached (with some form of external USB power) but currently lacks a display though the developer is working on one and he is extremely responsive to users comments, suggestions, issues, etc.

The audio on this thing blows everything else away that I have used.

Main discussion thread is here: Blue Tail Technologies - P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing.

It's a long thread but, as stated, the developer has really been working hard to improve the device since it first started sales. It does Phase 1 and 2 and handles simulcast very well.

-Mike
Neat little package! Definitely worth thinking about. I would miss not having a display, but that may not be a big deal for on the road. Does it have GPS?

Mike_G_D

No GPS but very easy to program. Feel free to go to that thread or start a new one about the device in the "All Other..." section here on RR about the P25RX. The developer is very responsive to questions and comments and suggestions for new features, etc.

-Mike

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Save for being ugly and ergonomically a nightmare, the SDS100 is a much better all around receiver for simulcast. The G4 or G5 will absolutely SLAUGHTER the SDS for long range weak signal reception. My G5 matches my RCS APX6000 for receive capability, and that is with the micro stubby nub thing they put on the damn thing...impressive. My G5 also matches my Moto handhelds on VHF, even though the G5 has only an internal antenna...again, super impressive.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.