BCD436HP Power and the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemedic7526

Will we ever have the ability to "trickle charge" while the scanner is on or draw from the USB power rather than the batteries when plugged in through a firmware release? It seems as an omission by the development team that we can't run our scanner on USB power thus conserving battery draw, reducing hazardous material waste, save the customer money, the list goes on to the negative impact on the user and environment.

To be clear Im not ranting or trashing the BCD436HP, just trying to understand how we got such a fine product with what seems to be a rather significant "missed the target on power for the 436" and if in the future this might be corrected on our behalf.

firemedic7526

Ugh.... Better keep my 396XT.

Ok thx Safetyobc.

Uniden, if this is the case you might consider how this design impacts the user for your next scanner run.

Feel free to Lock.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Will we ever have the ability to "trickle charge" while the scanner is on or draw from the USB power rather than the batteries when plugged in through a firmware release? It seems as an omission by the development team that we can't run our scanner on USB power thus conserving battery draw, reducing hazardous material waste, save the customer money, the list goes on to the negative impact on the user and environment.

To be clear Im not ranting or trashing the BCD436HP, just trying to understand how we got such a fine product with what seems to be a rather significant "missed the target on power for the 436" and if in the future this might be corrected on our behalf.

It's been posted before that most usb charging devices do not put out enough power to run the scanner and charge the batteries at the same time.

whsbuss

It's been posted before that most usb charging devices do not put out enough power to run the scanner and charge the batteries at the same time.

True but that doesn't affect Uniden from providing a USB power wart that does for their scanner. I know Upman said CA restricts certain power units...... I DON'T LIVE IN CA!

guyiv

Feed Provider
I may not be understanding what you want. I plug my 436 in to USB power (pn my computer or a USB charger in the car) when it is almost dead and it runs "not charging" but not using batteries.

When you plug it in use the "Serial Port" option.

firemedic7526

Nor do 49 other states of population, which would exceed the entire population of CA.

Yea, just read the post referencing CA. Seriously, that's why we cant power and or charge the scanner (while on)? I find that hard to believe but okay. It is what it is. I'll live with it.

I'd suggest a lock because I feel the need to rant as Im sure others. Lock please!

whsbuss

Nor do 49 other states of population, which would exceed the entire population of CA.

Yea, just read the post referencing CA. Seriously, that's why we cant power and or charge the scanner (while on)? I find that hard to believe but okay. It is what it is. I'll live with it.

I'd suggest a lock because I feel the need to rant as Im sure others. Lock please!

UPman mentioned the CA restriction in another thread.

firemedic7526

I may not be understanding what you want. I plug my 436 in to USB power (pn my computer or a USB charger in the car) when it is almost dead and it runs "not charging" but not using batteries.

When you plug it in use the "Serial Port" option.

This may be good news. I'm trying that now. THANKS!

rgore

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

It does strike me as a bit concerning that someone would post wrong information then request the thread be locked.

firemedic7526

You have a point. The manual is a bit vague on this and this discussion has been helpful. I'll upfront apologize that I might be incorrect or not fully up to speed. There's a lot to read and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.