BCD436HP Programming DMR Channel with SL, CC & TGID

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Well, next try. I deleted the MotoTRBO department created it as DMR one frequency. Just now there was another transmission on the TRX-1, but nothing on the BCD436HP. The screen shows ID searching while scanning. Do I need to turn that off? Another thing that I can't figure out is how to program which favorites lists are on when starting the scanner. It starts on FL 0, which I would want normally, so I have to go into the menu and turn off 0 and turn on 1. I'm still on it.

I misread your post. I only want to listen to those 2 TGID's, so I turned ID searching off. It now says ID scanning. Live and Learn. It is fun though, I think.

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
ID Search will allow any active TG to be scanned and displayed, This method is used primarily to find unknown TG's or to ID what TG's are active during investigating a frequency/System. ID Scan only looks for the TG's that are saved in the Program and not avoided.. It will ignore everything else..

To get different FL's enabled/disabled at startup. Edit your profile in Sentinel.
Find and modify this tab..
Hovering the cursor/pointer over an item will show what (If anything) is associated with a specific FL quick key..
If it's checked it will be scanning it on startup..
Tip: right clicking an open area on the screen will allow for selecting/deselecting all.. If so desired..

Ubbe

The TRX scanner only scans the voice channels and doesn't use the control data. So it can decode properly without setting any LCN values and just works. Unidens scanners need a proper LCN to function in trunked mode or it will not work at all. But if you program it as conventional One Frequency DMR it should work. If it does, then program as MotoTRbo and run the LCN Finder to let the scanner find the proper LCN value.

/Ubbe

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I was able to figure out how to program what FL's are on at startup. I only figured it out by accident. The buttons circled in red, looked like tabs. I highlighted one of the FL's and click the "On", and sure enough it was a button and not a tab. Go figure.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I just heard more transmissions on the TRX-1, but nothing on the 436. I'm close to baffled, but not giving up.

Here's my setup.
I have ID scanning turned on.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I don't see any issues with your programming..

A few things to try..
Change the Modulation to NFM.
You can adjust the Digital Threshold Mode to manual.
And try a lower level than 8.

Also,
If you are holding on the one system on the BCDx36, (or only have that one active) Try a Squelch of 1 or even 0.. That might make a difference.. Worth a shot..

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
When I bought the radio, it didn't have the DMR upgrade. I purchased and installed it. Was there anything else that I needed to do with the upgrade? Just a thought.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Nope, Just make sure the upgrade key was accepted succesfully by the radio..
If you try to enter it again..
It will say it's already enabled..
That's it...

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
It says already upgraded. I made the changes that you suggested and am waiting for the next transmission.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Is the System/Site turned on? 0.1 Enter..should show On. If you turned it off, just repeat the procedure. Another thing that might cause the missed transmissions, is if the Department is Off. 0.1.0 Enter....if it shows Off after that, repeat the procedure.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
This is what the screen looks like when I press 0.1 The Enter key does nothing.

This is the screen while scanning.

This is the screen when parked on the channel.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok...so you're using Favorite List 1 for DMR Test, assigned Quick Key 0 for the System, Assigned Site Quick Key 1, and Department is assigned Quick Key 1?

You could eliminate the Site Quick Key from the system as it's assigned in the System anyway. What I'm wondering is if you inadvertently turned off the Site and Department? 1.0.1 Enter...if it shows Off, then that isn't it..repeat procedure to turn it back on.

**I looked at the screen shots again...1.1.1 Enter...1.1.0 Enter**. The site and or Department might be off?

BC_Scan

Im going to say the 436 is not hearing the freq, there are no screen shots of a signal bar indicator on scanner, , I would do a manual search of that freq and see if you can hear the dmr signal in search mode. if you cant and the trx does, the signal strength is your issue.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Back to square one. I have it searching on that frequency to see what happens.

Im going to say the 436 is not hearing the freq, there are no screen shots of a signal bar indicator on scanner, , I would do a manual search of that freq and see if you can hear the dmr signal in search mode. if you cant and the trx does, the signal strength is your issue.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
So far, I have been able to receive DMR transmissions, which show frequency, CC and SL, while in the search mode. Unfortunately, there haven't been any transmissions on the frequencies that I am interested in. At least I know that the DMR reception is working. I'm really surprised how slow hospital communications have been this week. Lately, they have been really busy.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I know. I need back surgery and my surgeon won't let me leave the house until this settles down.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Well, here's the end result. I wound up creating all of my DMR channels as "DMR one frequency", within an analog system. I only had duplication of TGID's in one channel, so it really didn't matter enough, to create one MotoTRBO system. I am able to receive DMR transmissions on all of the channels that I programmed as DMR. The only problem that I can see, and it's unfortunate, is that there are a few ham radio operators that frequently hijack the local hospital DMR radio system. They use the same CC, but a different TGID, so having the channels programmed as "DMR one frequency", I have to listen to their chitchat, cursing, etc.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Well, here's the end result. I wound up creating all of my DMR channels as "DMR one frequency", within an analog system. I only had duplication of TGID's in one channel, so it really didn't matter enough, to create one MotoTRBO system. I am able to receive DMR transmissions on all of the channels that I programmed as DMR. The only problem that I can see, and it's unfortunate, is that there are a few ham radio operators that frequently hijack the local hospital DMR radio system. They use the same CC, but a different TGID, so having the channels programmed as "DMR one frequency", I have to listen to their chitchat, cursing, etc.

It sounds like you programmed a DMR frequency as conventional? I'm not sure I saw a response to one of the questions, but when you did a custom search and heard a transmission, what was showing in the display...DMR/CAP+/CON+? I have many DMR One frequency/CAP+/CON+ systems programmed and all the suggestions given to you were spot on. You have already discovered a problem by hearing a Ham radio because it's not programmed correctly.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
When I receive a DMR transmission from the channels that I programmed as "DMR on frequency", it shows DMR. In a limit search, I receive DMR on some frequencies and CON on others. I've heard the hams brag about their free repeater when talking on the hospital security systems. They just use a different TGID, but use the same CC and SL 2. They also forgot to change their DMR ID's on their radios, so it's easy to tell who it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.