BCD436HP Programming Question for Indianapolis

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
I am the proud owner of this scanner and I am newer to this type of software programming with systems. I live near Indianapolis and the public safety system there in Marion County is my primary listening interest. The metro area is separated into zones and districts as many are and the one challenge I have when listening is that something of interest will be happening on Southeast but while that is going on I miss activity because mundane things are happening in other districts. I know how to set up favorite lists but that includes the whole system.

Maybe this is a limitation of the trunked system design but is there any way for me to break down the Marion County system to districts? Can I make favorite lists of just parts of a system? Like if I could figure out the talkgroups or IDs for each district could I separate them?

Any advice is appreciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
C
I am the proud owner of this scanner and I am newer to this type of software programming with systems. I live near Indianapolis and the public safety system there in Marion County is my primary listening interest. The metro area is separated into zones and districts as many are and the one challenge I have when listening is that something of interest will be happening on Southeast but while that is going on I miss activity because mundane things are happening in other districts. I know how to set up favorite lists but that includes the whole system.

Maybe this is a limitation of the trunked system design but is there any way for me to break down the Marion County system to districts? Can I make favorite lists of just parts of a system? Like if I could figure out the talkgroups or IDs for each district could I separate them?

Any advice is appreciated.
Creating multiple Favorites lists, or multiple systems within a single list, all utilizing the same site, will slow your scanning somewhat. You would be more efficient to use a single system, with separate for each zone or district. You can assign quick keys to them so that you can toggle individual zones on or off. (f not all of your zones or districts are on the same site, then program each site needed.)

Restricting the service types you have enabled to only Public Safety related types will help ensure that you don't miss something critical or interesting on a PD or FD because someone is dealing with a clogged sewer in a different zone.

Also note that you can specify specific talkgroups as Priority, so that the scanner will jump back to them. This is not the same as conventional channel priority, which can be turned on or off via the keypad. For trunking priority, you must set the system to use that, along with specifying which TGIDs you wish to monitor. Trunking Priority only works when the radio is scanning that specific system, not when it is going through conventional channels or a different trunked system.