BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP, questions/help with favorites lists and reception problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTservice

Hello there, so I just recently got a BCD436HP to kinda replace my WS1040. I've got it set up so that all of the fire departments I scan are on seperate favorites list, and all LEO are on 1 list.

For some reason it doesn't always pick up what's going on, for example.

RFD will page out and my WS1040 will get it, but the Uniden will not get it untill it cycles through all departmetns/sites, is there a way to fix this? I can provide any/all information needed, I just need to know what info you need.

Thanks,
Dawson

Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
So here's what's going on:
The scanner scans the sites in the first system looking for traffic on only those talkgroups. Then it scans the same sites in the second system, looking for traffic on only those talkgroups. Then it scans the same sites in the third system, looking for traffic on only those talkgroups.
While you're scanning system 1, there may be traffic on system 2's talkgroups that you will not hear, because system 1 isn't listening to those.
Your best bet is to reduce that to one system, and divide the departments up using the Department Quick Keys.

DTservice

The scanner scans the sites in the first system looking for traffic on only those talkgroups. Then it scans the same sites in the second system, looking for traffic on only those talkgroups. Then it scans the same sites in the third system, looking for traffic on only those talkgroups.
While you're scanning system 1, there may be traffic on system 2's talkgroups that you will not hear, because system 1 isn't listening to those.
Your best bet is to reduce that to one system, and divide the departments up using the Department Quick Keys.
Okay, so I'll go ahead and try that now, thanks for the info.

DTservice

1646962565729.png
Does this look right to you?

tvengr

Well Known Member
RFD will page out and my WS1040 will get it, but the Uniden will not get it untill it cycles through all departmetns/sites

If Mutli-Site is set to Roam on a 1040 system, it will scan only the site with the best signal no matter how many control channels are in the frequency list. If set to Stationary, it will scan all of the sites.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Hello there, so I just recently got a BCD436HP to kinda replace my WS1040. I've got it set up so that all of the fire departments I scan are on seperate favorites list, and all LEO are on 1 list.

For some reason it doesn't always pick up what's going on, for example.

RFD will page out and my WS1040 will get it, but the Uniden will not get it untill it cycles through all departmetns/sites, is there a way to fix this? I can provide any/all information needed, I just need to know what info you need.

Thanks,
Dawson

This is a rather steep learning curve. Please, tell me what you would like to hear and where.

DTservice

This is a rather steep learning curve. Please, tell me what you would like to hear and where.
Sure, thanks for being willing to teach me...

I'm looking to here Reno Fire Dept, Sparks Fire Dept, and TMFR all in Washoe County NV, so far what I've done above seems to be working, however it sometimes is on a site far from me and is staticky

Ensnared

Sure, thanks for being willing to teach me...

I'm looking to here Reno Fire Dept, Sparks Fire Dept, and TMFR all in Washoe County NV, so far what I've done above seems to be working, however it sometimes is on a site far from me and is staticky

I cannot tell if you are programming the Phase II program in your county exclusively or not. If possibly, I don't bother with analog frequencies, particularly when there is a Phase II trunked system in the area.

Many of the analogs may be used for surveillance, SWAT, etc. If you happen to know that these are indeed active channels. you can group them into one Favorite.

I have my SDS 100 and 436HP set up like an old school "banked" scanner.

It looks like you have a wonderful Phase II program for your county.

In order for this to work, you need to pay attention to the two main portions of the 436HP design: a) Favorites and b) profiles.

The Favorites are the systems, departments and talk groups (channels). However, you have to tell the radio how to behave. This is when the profile comes into the picture.

I can completely program the small one site Phase II system for you; however, I cannot do the profile for you. You have to do this yourself.

I can program this for you tomorrow and shoot it to you. Then, I can send you how to complete the profile.

I should point out that the squelch should be set on 2. Also, the first thing I get rid of is "search with scan." It is the most annoying part of this radio and I have never used it.

If you PM me your email, I can get started tomorrow. You have a relatively small system for your county.

Here is how I have my favorites stacked. I have mine separated by service (i.e., fire, sheriff, special ops, state law enforcement, mutual aid, etc.

Look and see if this is how you want to roll:

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.