BCD436HP Quick Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdnFrosty

So I have seen plenty of good information on the Forum on organizing Favorites Lists and assigning Quick Keys. However, I'm not clear on how to access a Favorites List on the radio. I migrated from a 396T where monitoring different groups of channels was as easy as pressing 1 for Group 1 or 6 for Group 6.

On the 436 at the top of the screen, I see,

S0:**2-------

If I want to scan System 1, I press 1 and I see,

Quick Key Navigation

F1:----------
S-:----------
D-:----------

I press E yes and I see,

Quick Key
01 = ON

Is that how it is supposed to work? I'm just not seeing any information in the manual about this. Thanks.

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
Quick keys can be turned on or off, multiple quick keys can be on at a time. The scanner will go through every subdir (favlist, system, department) while scanning.

Directory structure is Favorite list>System>Department

If 1.0.0 is off, and you try turning on 1.0.1, nothing will happen until the dir above is turned on.

Each Department has channels (talkgroups or frequencies)
Each System has up to 99 department quick keys
Each Favorite list has up to 99 system quick keys

You can have above 99 departments/systems/favlists, but you can't assign them to dedicated keys.

On your display
Code:
F0:---------- shows that there are no favorite lists on your scanner for fav lists 0-9
F0:xxxxxxxxxx shows that there are 10 favorite lists on your scanner, but none are enabled
F0:--xxxxxxxx shows that there are favorite lists 2-9 on your scanner, but none are enabled
F0:012345XX-- shows that favlists 0-5 are enabled, 6 and 7 are disabled, but 8 and 9 do not exist
F1:0123456789 shows that lists 10-19 are enabled and scanning (notice how the number after F reflects the first digit of the favorite list)

ColdnFrosty

Quick keys can be turned on or off, multiple quick keys can be on at a time. The scanner will go through every subdir (favlist, system, department) while scanning.

Directory structure is Favorite list>System>Department

If 1.0.0 is off, and you try turning on 1.0.1, nothing will happen until the dir above is turned on.

Each Department has channels (talkgroups or frequencies)
Each System has up to 99 department quick keys
Each Favorite list has up to 99 system quick keys

You can have above 99 departments/systems/favlists, but you can't assign them to dedicated keys.

On your display
Code:
F0:---------- shows that there are no favorite lists on your scanner for fav lists 0-9
F0:xxxxxxxxxx shows that there are 10 favorite lists on your scanner, but none are enabled
F0:--xxxxxxxx shows that there are favorite lists 2-9 on your scanner, but none are enabled
F0:012345XX-- shows that favlists 0-5 are enabled, 6 and 7 are disabled, but 8 and 9 do not exist
F1:0123456789 shows that lists 10-19 are enabled and scanning (notice how the number after F reflects the first digit of the favorite list)

Thanks I understand all that. What I don't understand is the process (keystrokes) to enable or disable a favorite list or system on a favorite list from the keyboard of the 436.

ColdnFrosty

Thanks. I'm familiar with setting up Favorites Lists and Quick Keys in Sentinel. What I do not understand is the access from the 436 keypad. One of the articles says, "Using Quick Keys I can now press 10.1.1 to turn on and off the Department that includes all 10 OPS ..."

If I press and numerical key while scanning, it brings me to a menu as I described in my initial posting.

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
Ok. To turn off favorites list 1 in its entireity, including all systems and depts that fall under it Press
1, Enter
to turn it back on press
1, Enter again

To turn on or off the system with a quick key of 1, that's under the favorites list 1, press

Turns on/off a department that's quick keyed 1, inside of a system that's quick keyed 1, in a favorites list that's quick keyed 10.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
If I press any numerical key while scanning, it brings me to a menu as I described in my initial posting.
That's not a menu.
It's a report that you used the Quick Key to turn on or off a particular Favorite.
It remains on the screen momentarily, and then scanning resumes.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Quick Keys

Lets say you boot up to Favorite list 0

Then you want to shut off system 03

Press .No then press 03 you should see 03 off then to turn it back on .No 03

Thanks I understand all that. What I don't understand is the process (keystrokes) to enable or disable a favorite list or system on a favorite list from the keyboard of the 436.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Toggling Levels of Quick Keys

Nice, concise explanation- very helpful! Thanks.

Ok. To turn off favorites list 1 in its entireity, including all systems and depts that fall under it Press
1, Enter
to turn it back on press
1, Enter again

To turn on or off the system with a quick key of 1, that's under the favorites list 1, press

Turns on/off a department that's quick keyed 1, inside of a system that's quick keyed 1, in a favorites list that's quick keyed 10.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Quick Keys

Does it need to be " .03 " as opposed to just " .3 " ?

Either way that is helpful also to know Favorite > System > Department(Channel) and are addressed like octets of an IP address as sort of 'F.S.D/C.'

Lets say you boot up to Favorite list 0

Then you want to shut off system 03

Press .No then press 03 you should see 03 off then to turn it back on .No 03

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
This has been the most difficult area of this scanner, along with the requirement to have to turn systems on and off as well.

I think there are just far to many variables. There shouldn't be a half a dozen different ways to enable/disable what is being scanned. The manual doesn't explain it well, as these Uniden manuals are always confusing.

I will be glad when the "Easier-to-Read" manual is released.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Favorite Lists

.03 or .3 really doesn't matter. Try it you'll like it.

Does it need to be " .03 " as opposed to just " .3 " ?

Either way that is helpful also to know Favorite > System > Department(Channel) and are addressed like octets of an IP address as sort of 'F.S.D/C.'

TedRHayes

When I got my 436 last weekend I had trouble with the Quick Key operation as it is subtly different from the x96 scanners.

Even though you can enable/disable a FLQK between 0-9 with a single # key stroke followed by E, I've found it easier (at least on my mind) if I always press the "tens" # first (e.g., 0 for 0-9, 1 for 10-19, etc.); this requires an extra stroke for FL 0-9, but the display will then show the active/available FLs within the desired tens group.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
This has been the most difficult area of this scanner, along with the requirement to have to turn systems on and off as well.

I think there are just far to many variables. There shouldn't be a half a dozen different ways to enable/disable what is being scanned. The manual doesn't explain it well, as these Uniden manuals are always confusing.

I will be glad when the "Easier-to-Read" manual is released.

Are you using the latest manual? It has better explanations than the one that ships with the radio or the original PDF that was made available?

BCD536HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

However, it is always good to have several sources of info, if you don't get it in one source you may get it in another or even here on RR.

daveharpe

So here's something I think might be a bug. Here's the setup:

Created a favorites list - assigned it favorite-quick-key #1
In that favorites list several systems - assigned Denver Public Safety quick-key #2
In Denver Public Safety there are multiple departments - assigned them various numbers...in my example PD is quick-key #4.

So it's my understanding that I should be able to do the following:
Press 1 then E - disable/enable the favorites list (this works)
Press 1.1 then E - disable/enable the Denver Public Safety system (this also works)
Press 1.1.4 then E - disable/enable the PD department (this KINDA works - but it's buggy)

What I'm finding is when I press 1.1.4 E it will say "ON" regardless of the status of the department quick key AND the department display you see when you press the "FN" key on the side of the radio is inconsistent. What's more is EVENTUALLY it will toggle to the right state (i.e. turn the department on/off) - but it takes several seconds.

I created a video to illustrate it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_H7nlHpvkA

I should mention that this is an EDACS system if it matters.

Am I missing something? Is there a page in the manual that explains this? If so let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
So here's something I think might be a bug. Here's the setup:

Created a favorites list - assigned it favorite-quick-key #1
In that favorites list several systems - assigned Denver Public Safety quick-key #2
In Denver Public Safety there are multiple departments - assigned them various numbers...in my example PD is quick-key #4.

So it's my understanding that I should be able to do the following:
Press 1 then E - disable/enable the favorites list (this works)
Press 1.1 then E - disable/enable the Denver Public Safety system (this also works)
Press 1.1.4 then E - disable/enable the PD department (this KINDA works - but it's buggy)

What I'm finding is when I press 1.1.4 E it will say "ON" regardless of the status of the department quick key AND the department display you see when you press the "FN" key on the side of the radio is inconsistent. What's more is EVENTUALLY it will toggle to the right state (i.e. turn the department on/off) - but it takes several seconds.

I created a video to illustrate it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_H7nlHpvkA

I should mention that this is an EDACS system if it matters.

Am I missing something? Is there a page in the manual that explains this? If so let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

What firmware version do you have?
I know that the latest firmware is pretty buggy
F1 is favorites list 10-19, it should be F0:
S1 is system 10-19, it should be S0:
See this picture
D4: That means Departments 40-Departments 49.
It should be D0:, Departments 0-Departments 9

AIVJbye.png

If you're running the latest firmware, upman needs to address this.
For now, try doing 01.01.04 and tell me if that works.

whsbuss

I wonder if you cannot turn off the last Dept to scan in a FL. Try to enable (via keypad) one of the other departments, then 1.1.4 E and see if that turns off like it should.

daveharpe

It is the latest version - 1.02.07.

You can turn off the last department - as the example above shows it eventually turns off it just doesn't say "nothing to scan" like it does when you turn off the last favorites list or system. It's really odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.